I am confused between Genesis, Genesis 2, V5/V6, and whatelse...

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited September 2013 in New Users

I am struggling to understand what is what.

V5/M5 is Genesis?
V6 is Genesis 2?
And then there is "The Girl 6" which I totally don't get why she is separate if she is built on Genesis 2. Or maybe "The Girl" is a defined set of parameters and not a whole 'nother figure?

What is Michael and where do the old figures (David and Stephanie I think) fit in?

And what is "Genesis 2 female?"

I'm very confused, can somebody show me a scorecard?

And furthermore, I still do not know how to even begin selecting and outfitting characters for a work idea that I would like to start on. I started a thread some days ago and can't find it now; it's probably just way down the list and maybe I didn't ask my questions very well.

I just need some guidance for making some sense of it all so that I can start thinking about my design and story/character decisions.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited September 2013

V5/M5 is Genesis? Yes. These are morphs for Genesis.

V6 is Genesis 2? Yes. She is a morph for Genesis 2.

And then there is “The Girl 6” which I totally don’t get why she is separate if she is built on Genesis 2. Or maybe “The Girl” is a defined set of parameters and not a whole ‘nother figure? Girl 6 is a morph for Genesis 2.

What is Michael and where do the old figures (David and Stephanie I think) fit in?
    There are 4 other Michael figure. M1/M2 (These figures take the same clothes and textures), M3 (he has his own clothing line and morphs), M4 (He has his own wardrobe, morphs and textures.

David and Stephanie are their own figures with clothing lines, etc.

It can be a little confusing, but once you get used to it, not so much.

Post edited by tsarist on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I'm very confused, can somebody show me a scorecard?

And furthermore, I still do not know how to even begin selecting and outfitting characters for a work idea that I would like to start on. I started a thread some days ago and can't find it now; it's probably just way down the list and maybe I didn't ask my questions very well.

I just need some guidance for making some sense of it all so that I can start thinking about my design and story/character decisions.

You might be best to start with something like a Gen4 character, because there are many more clothes available and the technology is very reliable and not confusing...
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-pro-bundle

Victoria 4 is the way to go. The pack above gives you everything you need to give you a running start (Morphs, characters, clothes)

Later you can add anything else you want.

I could tell you more, but it would just be confusing.

Best of luck!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

V5/M5 is Genesis?
    V6 is Genesis 2?
    Yes.
    And then there is "The Girl 6" which I totally don't get why she is separate if she is built on Genesis 2.

Because she's separate. Girl 6 is based on the Genesis 2 figure in the same way as Victoria 6 is based on the Genesis 2 figure. They're for completely different purposes, Girl is stylised and cartoony, Victoria is more realistic.
    But then what is "Genesis 2 female?"
    All the recent DAZ named base figures, Victoria, Michael etc., are dependent on the Genesis or Genesis 2 figure — 5th Generation figures are based on Genesis, 6th Generation figures on Genesis 2. (There is only a Genesis 2 Female so far, the Genesis 2 Male is not out yet.) The older figures (Generation 1, 2, 3 and 4) that aren't dependent on either Genesis are completely separate, unless you use one of the Iconic Shapes packs to morph the old Genesis (this does not work on Genesis 2) into the proper shape.
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Yes, that is all really confusing for new people. I hope that DAZ will think about their product policy, or this will all end up in huge mess.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited September 2013

Okay, thank you; you're all life savers!

My DIM listing is huge, and some of it is confusing. I think a lot got installed along with DAZ Studio 4.6 or Carrara 8.5 Pro, and then there's some older stuff that I must have bought in 2003-2005. Here's just some of what I currently have in my DIM inventory:

Aiko 3 base 3D anime girl
    Benjamin for M5, Benjamin for M5 Legacy, and Benjamin for M5 Ps MATs Legacy
    Chelsea hair, Chelsea hair for V4, Chelsea hair Legacy

Dark Priest Poses for M5, and same for M5 Legacy
    David Base and David Diversified
    DragonLord for Genesis and same for Genesis Legacy
    Dresscoat Italia for V3

Easy Going Poses for Michael 5 and same for M5 Legacy
    Expansion Packs
    .. EP2 for V3 MFD
    .. EP for SP MFD
    .. EP for V3 MFD

Expressive for Genesis and same for Genesis legacy

Some accessories for V 3.0
    Freak Ultra Bodysuit (but no Freak figure; weird)
    G.I. Girl (but also no Girl)
    Gabi for V5 and same for V5 Legacy

Galliminus (appears twice in DIM)

Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials
    Genesis Female Genitalia and same Legacy as well as same for Genesis male and Legacy

Skipping past a bunch of things to Michael and Victoria...

Some M3 accessories
    M5 basic poses and same for legacy
    M5 Casual Male and legacy
    M5 Photographic poses (and legacy...it seems there is a lot labeled "legacy")
    Magna Hart for G
    Michael 1.0 Map and Beard Mappack (but apparently no Michael 1)
    Michael 2.0 and texture maps for same
    Michael 3.0 base
    Michael 5 and legacy
    Michael Clothing Pack 2 (but no indication what version of Michael this would go with)
    Various other Michael stuff, maps, football gear, clothing maps, etc.

A ton of various and seemingly mismatched Victoria stuff:

Posed for V5 and legacy
    Pure hair (a number of them; different varieties) for genesis
    Real Hair Textures (again, different varieties) but no indication of what version
    Real Ladies, real ladies/real women
    Sexy Ladies
    Sexy Silky for Genesis and same for legacy

Some V3 addons (Spanish rose etc)

Stephanie 3.0 Petite Hooded cloak, Mediterranean dress and wrap, petite base, bikini, body/head morphs texture maps and other stuff

Aaah, now I see "The" Freak and The Girl, both appearing in the T's. Got it!

Tori for V5
    Other V5 and V3 stuff like morphing cocktail dress, face mask, etcetera

Victoria 2.0, some texture maps
    Victoria 3 Base, morphs, and so forth
    Victoria 5

Awww, his and hers sweaters for V and M... LOL!

Zac Hair for Gen4, Genesis, and Genesis legacy

There's a lot lot lot more than I noted above (I didn't list any animals, for example), and I know 99% of them came in with bundles and stuff. Maybe that is part of the problem, there is so much here I'm getting overwhelmed and don't even know where to begin.

So maybe a couple of questions:

1. Can any of this stuff be used in Carrara, or should I do initial posing work in DS4 first?
    2. How does one know if something can or cannot be used with a character in my library/runtime? For example, hair, dresses, or .. hehe, the matching sweaters?
    3. Can I try using accessories, hair, or clothing across "versions" (for example, can something labeled as V4 be used on a Genesis figure, or something labeled as Genesis 2 be used on Genesis)?

for now I just want to do a few stills, animation later.

edited December 1969

So, thinking this through...is "Legacy" typically meant to be anything before Genesis?

edited December 1969

So, thinking this through...is "Legacy" typically meant to be anything before Genesis?

Nothing to do with Genesis. It generally means "compatible with D|S 4.0 and maybe D|S3" — some people are unable to use the most recent versions of D|S, and some content creators still use those versions and are willing to put in a little extra work to make the Legacy files.

Note that, while these Legacy files will work in D|S4.6, as far as I can see every item with Legacy files also has up-to-date D|S4.6 files (these should have a .duf filename extension).

Also, if you use D|S4.6, you don't need to install anything labelled "Legacy" — if you use DIM to install, there is a filter to let you ignore them.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Going back to the various different figures, Scott did do this run through http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24257/

edited December 1969

SpottedKitty, thanks. I think I installed everything via DIM. Should I go back and uninstall the "Legacy" stuff?

Chohole, thank you; I'll look at that link when I get a break today.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

If your interested in the Genesis group the pro bundles are on sale in fast grab today @ 70% off

edited December 1969

Should I go back and uninstall the "Legacy" stuff?

If (and only if) you aren't using those earlier versions of D|S, then the Legacy stuff can safely be deleted. I don't use DIM, though, so you'd better ask someone who does about setting up the DIM filters to ignore them.
    edited September 2013

Well this part is easy. I use DS 4.6 only and I cannot think of any reason I would have to install an older version. But of course, I also have Carrara, so I don't know if any legacy stuff is still good to keep.

If I decide to uninstall obsolete stuff, I think I'll be able to figure it out on the DIM side, thanks!

For Kharma: I'm doing just that; looking at some of the "Pro" figures based on Genesis 2 for sale prices. I know that G2 is new and maybe will come with some issues, but some of the characters look very good. I'm definitely tempted.

Most interesting to me are Freak, V6, TG6, and Gia6. The only thing that worries me is spending too much money on too many things I won't even need right now, only to have holiday sales coming up where these figures may get marked down even further, or that... haha, some day next year, Carrara 9.0 Pro will come bundled with all of the V6/G2 figures.

It comes down to what I think I'll use now and wait for the rest.

edited December 1969

Quick question: If something says "For V4 and Genesis", would it also be compatible with Genesis 2?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It depends on the Item. Clothing for Genesis will work on G2F but most other things like textures need converted to work on G2F.

edited December 1969

Curious; what kind of conversion? Something that can be done by an end-user, or must be done by the maker of the product?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Textures for V4 need saved in the duf format from the Genesis1 figure and a few extra steps, but the G2F V4 shape fixes the need to do that, the user steps are covered in a thread in the Forums some place. Morphs need Converted to Genesis1 which can be done with the GenX plugin, then those need converted to G2F by hand, there is a thread in commons that explains that. Clothing for V4 or others needs Auto Fit to Genesis1 and then saved again as Genesis clothing so it auto loads to Genesis without the Need to use Auto Fit any longer, those will then Auto fit G2F which can Again be saved for the G2F figure, this is also covered in a thread some place. So in truth only morphs for V4 needed more than user side to do. If I had not cleaned my PC of files expecting my NEW PC by now I would link you to the threads I mentioned.

Some user please post those for me.