DAZ 3D Install Manager v.1.0.1.81 Update

Comments

• william_b25f693951william_b25f693951 Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

These two plugins don't come as part of the free release of DAZ Studio, they are paid for plugins.

DS4.6 comes with the Lite version of the Dynamic Clothing Control, and a 30 day trial of Mimic Live. Installing the paid for DCC if you don't have a serial for it, will cause the Lite version to stop working I think.

Ok. I am having the same problem for the 32-bit version. Based on this post, I checked my account and serial number list. It shows that I have serial numbers for the versions for Daz Studio versions 2 & 3, but does not list a version 4 serial number. But when i go to the store to correct this, I get the status "purchaced" on the web page for "Dynamic cloth control" (no version number), but the page does show that the DCC is for Version 4.6.

Does anyone know if DCC has to be purchased for each version of DS?
    Or is there a problem that caused us to not get upgraded to version 4 serial numbers?

Any clues on how this works would be helpful or what might be my problem. Thanks in advance.

BTW, does anyone know the difference between DCC lite and full version for DS 4.6?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Maldark said:
    These two plugins don't come as part of the free release of DAZ Studio, they are paid for plugins.

DS4.6 comes with the Lite version of the Dynamic Clothing Control, and a 30 day trial of Mimic Live. Installing the paid for DCC if you don't have a serial for it, will cause the Lite version to stop working I think.

Ok. I am having the same problem for the 32-bit version. Based on this post, I checked my account and serial number list. It shows that I have serial numbers for the versions for Daz Studio versions 2 & 3, but does not list a version 4 serial number. But when i go to the store to correct this, I get the status "purchaced" on the web page for "Dynamic cloth control" (no version number), but the page does show that the DCC is for Version 4.6.

Does anyone know if DCC has to be purchased for each version of DS?
    Or is there a problem that caused us to not get upgraded to version 4 serial numbers?

Any clues on how this works would be helpful or what might be my problem. Thanks in advance.

BTW, does anyone know the difference between DCC lite and full version for DS 4.6?

The DS3 serial number works in DS4 as well. Currently the DCC plugin is available in DIM only for the beta.

The full version gives you the physics and preferences panels, which give you control over gravity, wind, number of iterations, collision tolerance, and the like.

edited December 1969

The DS3 serial number works in DS4 as well. Currently the DCC plugin is available in DIM only for the beta.

The full version gives you the physics and preferences panels, which give you control over gravity, wind, number of iterations, collision tolerance, and the like.

Ok. Then I have no clue why it won't install in my 32-bit DS 4.6

I tried uninstalling DS (following the instructions for the 64-bit version) before reinstallling DS4.6.

Any sujestions?

edited December 1969

Maldark said:

I tried uninstalling DS (following the instructions for the 64-bit version) before reinstallling DS4.6.

Any sujestions?

Is this the beta or the general release? If the general release, was it installed with DIM or with a stand-alone installer? Is it not installing at all, or not accepting the serial number?

edited December 1969

Maldark said:

Any sujestions?

Is this the beta or the general release? If the general release, was it installed with DIM or with a stand-alone installer? Is it not installing at all, or not accepting the serial number?

DS4.6.0.18 was installed with DIM 1.0.1.81. I was also trying to use DIM to install
    IM00016591-01_DynamicClothingControlforDAZStudio45Win32bitPublicBuild.zip
    file which I downloaded using DIM.

edited December 1969

Public Build is for the Beta, not the General Release. They're testing plugin installation using the Beta.

edited August 2013

Public Build is for the Beta, not the General Release. They're testing plugin installation using the Beta.

So, if I get this right, It will not work for me until you release the regular version. Is that correct?

Or until I install the latest beta version.

Post edited by william_b25f693951 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited December 1969

Maldark said:

So, if I get this right, It will not work for me until you release the regular version. Is that correct?

Or until I install the latest beta version.

It should work in the Public Beta version:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26880/

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

It should be something like:
    mklink /j "C:\users\public\DAZ 3D\InstallManager" E:\Content\InstallManager
    quotes are only needed around the first part because of the space in "DAZ 3D"

Bingo. Thank you for this tip -- My new PC has a small ssd C drive and I want to keep EVERYTHING except the important stuff off it. Just a note to anyone trying this at home -- folder structure was a bit off Should be:

mklink /j "C:\users\public\documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager" E:\blah\blah

And make sure you delete the C:\users\public\documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager folder before running the command.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Quick question

Where are the directories or directory that the DIM manager reads off of to determine what's installed and what's not installed?

So I'll need directory location paths so I can check.

I am getting my new system up and running finally but even though I copied as much off of the old system as possible and dropped into where I thought DIM needed it I'm apparently off in that assumption because it's telling me that I have like 2000 files to install. Nope I don't! lol They are installed.

Thanks for the help!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Quick question

Where are the directories or directory that the DIM manager reads off of to determine what's installed and what's not installed?

So I'll need directory location paths so I can check.

I am getting my new system up and running finally but even though I copied as much off of the old system as possible and dropped into where I thought DIM needed it I'm apparently off in that assumption because it's telling me that I have like 2000 files to install. Nope I don't! lol They are installed.

Thanks for the help!

C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\ManifestFiles

edited December 1969

Thanks Mike. To the rescue again! :-)

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

1.0.1.81 is the latest version still, right? I just got it installed and tried to login and it's telling me there is an update and it won't let me use it after I wasted 5 hours downloading the program! :(

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2013

atryeu said:
    1.0.1.81 is the latest version still, right? I just got it installed and tried to login and it's telling me there is an update and it won't let me use it after I wasted 5 hours downloading the program! :(

Mine was updated tonight to 1.0.1.86. It should prompt you to update once you open it.
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Poor Atryeu!
    5 hours dialup speed wasted ...
    {{{hugs}}}

edited December 1969

Yeah, sure is nice to know I lost 5 hours out of my monthly time limit. Thanks a lot Daz.... wish I could get the money out of you guys for that wasted 5 hours I lost :(

I still don't know why we are forced to update the program every time to be able to use it. I don't know of any other program that does it and it's a dumb design feature. :(

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    I still don't know why we are forced to update the program every time to be able to use it. I don't know of any other program that does it and it's a dumb design feature. :(

I agree. I like to update on my time frame, if at all. There should be an option to update later - please!

Somewhat OT but related: Does anyone else think that this update stuff is way out of control overall? Every week a new set of Windows updates, browser updates, Flash updates, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous! Computer programmers may become my number 1 most hated people very soon. They need to get out of their cubicals and get a life!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I'm a programmer, so let me address this a little bit...

atryeu said:
    Most online games do, and many apps that interact with specific remote systems. The deal is this; the level of complexity rises exponentially with the number of versions of the protocol (the agreed on way of communicating between the app and the remote system) you need to support. The best option is to support current and current-1 protocol versions, but even that is vastly more complex than supporting a single version.

I worked for one company where our server supported three versions back of clients, and some 90% of our bugs were due to interactions in the layers required to support that, and it made debugging take days and weeks sometimes.

For a company like DAZ, I can understand not wanting to deal with that. You'll notice that DAZ Studio doesn't do that, for instance, because it doesn't need to care about the server's version. However if you want to use DUF files, you need to bump to 4.5. It's essentially the same problem.I agree. I like to update on my time frame, if at all. There should be an option to update later - please!

Somewhat OT but related: Does anyone else think that this update stuff is way out of control overall? Every week a new set of Windows updates, browser updates, Flash updates, etc. It is absolutely ridiculous! Computer programmers may become my number 1 most hated people very soon. They need to get out of their cubicals and get a life!I don't know what to tell you. Flash, Windows, and Browsers are things that I could not disagree with you more on. I remember the days when a security bug would go unpatched for years, because there was no way to get the end-users to upgrade easily.

The internet is a hostile environment for software. You cannot imagine how hostile unless you've tried to run a service on a publicly accessible system. As an example, if you install unpatched Windows XP on a computer that is connected to a publicly accessible IP address, it will likely be completely taken over by malware BEFORE YOU FINISH THE INSTALLATION. And it's not some human who's looking for your computer. It's automated bots that are constantly scanning the internet for computers to subvert. Most publicly accessible systems that I have average 2-3 attack attempts a minute. A minute!

The user annoyance of having regular updates is absolutely nothing next to the problems of unpatched, un-updated internet-accessible software. Your browser, Flash, and Windows itself, are all very, very popular targets, and believe me, you want them updated.

The ones I wish would get a life are the black-hat developers, but they have found that it's extremely valuable to subvert innocent people's computers, and then use those computers to send spam, or commit click fraud, etc... So...they fund their 'getting a life' at the expense of the Internet's 'innocence'.

Sorry to ramble on, but...automated software updates are a very, very good thing. I get that forced updates are annoying, and I don't entirely disagree, but you should understand where they're coming from also.

-- Morgan

• Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I hope that the person who came up with the idea of a virus for an inanimate object is either behind bars for life or burning in hell. I wish the courts would have the same feeling for people who continue to exploit computers. I have run websites off of dedicated servers and I do know how nasty the exploits can be.

However, I cannot believe that all of these frequent patches are security related. I do know why they are necessary when they are, but they should not be able to take over the computer at will. Fortunately, the majors (Microsoft, et. al.) let you update on your schedule. I have heard horror stories of people who have lost hours of work from an update taking control when they have not chosen that option.

I also have a very bad taste left from a computer that was rendered useless by a Flash update years ago. I never was able to get it to work 100% after that. I spent hours on it.

The fun that was computing has basically been destroyed by all the hoops that you have to jump through these days.

edited December 1969

Sorry to ramble on, but…automated software updates are a very, very good thing. I get that forced updates are annoying, and I don’t entirely disagree, but you should understand where they’re coming from also.

I have to 100% disagree with this. The people that make that claim have never used dialup before and auto updates are BAD. I'm not saying you shouldn't update. I manage to keep up with security updates for Windows, I update the browsers at least 1 time every month (or two depending on time) but I manually update when "I" want, not when the program wants. I've had to go into so many various places around the computer to completely delete all auto update software from various programs I use (such as Chrome) so it won't waste my time with an update when I don't have time to do it. I don't have time to spend 2 hours right off everytime Flash gets an update, 3 hours everytime Chrome gets an update (or 2 1/2 for Firefox), 12 hours for my anti virus software, etc.... Not when 90% of the dialup services have a monthly time limit on the service now days that I can't go over. So, no... auto updates are really really not good for everybody -_-

Also, fyi, I'm a programmer as well. I'm by no means an expert and I learned only as a hobby. I do admit I've never touched on connecting a program to any kind of server. Mine are purely offline use. I understand too that it can cause bugs, but when you sit in my shoes for a day and deal with this POS internet connection with a whole 2.5k/sec download speed (and don't forget the monthly time limits as well as session limits), you can see why it's such a huge deal to me. I have to pay for these time limits on my service, and when it takes 5 hours to download a program that I can't even use, you can't even begin to imagine how that feels. It was a complete waste of money for me to use my precious time online to not be able to use the stupid thing.

..... I sometimes wish EVERYBODY could go back to using dialup and see what people still are forced to struggle with if they don't have high speed access where they live. I highly doubt anybody could last 24 hours using it without feeling anger and frustration over dumb stuff like like.

• agdepagdep Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

New DIM, already installed, I'm trembling with fear... :-(

edited December 1969

I'd like to know what was actually in that *.86 version that DIM was updated to. The wiki still has *.81 as the latest version, too.

edited December 1969

Just installed it. Well from what I can see it's faster! Which is better. Used to take a minute to get all the info together of what's installed and what's not installed to show on the two tabs. That was pretty instantaneous. Other than that I don't see any other changes so far.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I understand why all the updates are pushy and necessary. But I have Windows Update set to download the updates and let me tell it when to install. If I don't do it immediately it's always within a day or two.

Well, Microsoft is now doing something sneaky. When updates come in they are automatically applied when you next shut down or restart your PC even if you've requested to decide for yourself. I didn't know this when one summer afternoon I heard thunder so went to turn off my PC. Instead it started installing a ton of updates. Then it went into the start process so I must have selected Restart instead of shutdown (my eyes are really bad these days). So I had to sit and watch the rest of the update process go by with the message 'Do Not Turn Off your PC' while lightning flashed and thunder boomed all around me. Our building has been struck several times and I was just waiting for the power to go out.

It was maddening.

Re DIM, haven't updated yet but this morning I tried the 'download and install with DIM' button from the 'Order Successful' page. It was like magic.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    I'd like to know what was actually in that *.86 version that DIM was updated to. The wiki still has *.81 as the latest version, too.

IIRC DAZ_Spooky said in another thread that one of the fixes is to get carrara content to go to the correct directories for Mac users.

And I've had a ticket outstanding for some time because SickleYield's Rigging and Morphing System manual was 'installing' without leaving any trace of it on the system (and showing a size of 0 Bytes for un-install) - and this version seems to have fixed that.

edited December 1969

It would be nice if DIM would allow you to select the default Daz Studio installation that plugins should go to. It auto-installs to the newest version, which in my case is the beta since it auto-injected itself into the application installation settings of DIM upon installation. I suppose I could just remove the beta from the applications list, but what fun would that be? ;)

• scotchfairyscotchfairy Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

Please note: I have been extremely ill for several weeks, so I've missed quite a bit of discussion. I also don't have time to wade through 10-20 page threads to see if the answers to my questions might be in there. The more time I spend slogging through forum, the less time I have to work on installing and using the software. So please don't post non-answers that are simply a pointer to a thread that I either have gone through with no luck, or have no time to sift through it finely enough to find the "obvious" answer that's in there. I've noticed enough people asking variations on these questions again and again that I'm pretty sure the "answers" showing up here were only clear to someone who's been up to their nose in this stuff for the last several months (or maybe longer than that).

After beating my head on the Documentation Center entry, I mostly figured out what the difference between the versions is (though I still can't find out what operating system and processor type Studio SDK will run on). I still had to manually download the DIM and install to go from 1.0.1.81 to 1.0.1.86. Having it squawk over and over again that I needed the newest version before it would let me do anything, then fumbling the install meant the actual content got installed a week later than I wanted it to be. I'll add my voice that there HAS to be a more polite way of doing this.

More infuriating, can someone please explain why the DIM still only shows up to Daz 4.5+ in the download filters? It's downloaded and installed General Release 4.6.0.18 for me, so why is it still showing the cryptic 4.5+ in filters? Especially since it makes for a lot of head-scratching when trying to figure out which versions of plug-ins to install. Which version of LAmH and Photoshop 3D Bridge do I want to install? And if the failed installs are from not having the correct paths entered into the installer preferences, which directory path should I be using?

--Lee
    (further posts will probably be shorter, made from my phone, as I've used up my time I can be sitting at a desk once again)

edited September 2013

4.5+ covers 4.6, hence the + sign. There weren't enough changes between the two builds to warrant a separate filter. Content from 4.5 will work in 4.6. Point the installer path to your 4.6 install.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    It would be nice if DIM would allow you to select the default Daz Studio installation that plugins should go to. It auto-installs to the newest version, which in my case is the beta since it auto-injected itself into the application installation settings of DIM upon installation. I suppose I could just remove the beta from the applications list, but what fun would that be? ;)

No, there are separate plugin packages for the general release and the beta (although some of the plugins aren't available for the general release yet, as they're being tested on the beta). Unfortunately the label says "Public Build" rather than "Public Beta", but that's only for the beta.