My Project: Brash Lonergan adventures - Warning AI Discussion Possible

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I should also point out that by rigging the toon figure in Studio, I was able to use Studio's transfer utility to make cnforming shorts quickly.

edited July 2018

Turns out the problem with creating conforming clothing for my custom figures (rigged in Carrara) has a solution.  3DAge cleared it up for me.  I have been putting the mesh and the bone skeleton (unattached) in a regular group and saving to the object browser before creating an animation group.  It is a convenient way to have these steps available for editing and tweaks.  I have then created the animaton group around this regular group and attaching the mesh to the skeleton.  Doing it in this order interferes with "fit to."  If I just put the mesh and skeleton (attached an ungrouped) in an animation group, then "fit to" works for custom figures rigged in Carrara.

Post edited by Diomede on

Watched a marathon of the Gil Gerard / Erin Gray tv series for BuckRogers.  Besides making me nostalgic for the late 70s and early 80s, it has re-energized my Brash Lonergan concepts.  I am doing something for the r’osity site during August, but after that I think I’ve got to get another Brash adventure finished.  

Rigging Fix

if you have been following along, you may remember that I was failing to have my custom figures use the “fit to” function.  Two posts up (July post), I reported that Andy (3DAge) posted the problem and the solution.  I have now completed the grouping and rigging of the Brash mesh over again.  I can successfully use “fit to” with Brash instead of having to attach and redo the weight maps each time, or use VWD.  Have not started on Moxie yet.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,689

Very interesting, I have a number of figures that need rigging, have been putting it off - must try !!!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Diomede said:

Rigging Fix

if you have been following along, you may remember that I was failing to have my custom figures use the “fit to” function.  Two posts up (July post), I reported that Andy (3DAge) posted the problem and the solution.  I have now completed the grouping and rigging of the Brash mesh over again.  I can successfully use “fit to” with Brash instead of having to attach and redo the weight maps each time, or use VWD.  Have not started on Moxie yet.

wonderful, thanks for the headsup :)

edited October 2018
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

yes and celebrity appearances at that 

edited January 2019

Rigging Fix

RE: Snap-back issues

A related rigging issue that I reported elsewhere and discovered again on my current Brash and Moxie models  (might have copied old over new - aargh).  I am using the term "snap back" to refer to when you think you have set a joint rotation to a larger number, but when you rotate to it, the bone snaps back to a smaller number (but not all the way to default).  For example, if an elbow constraint is set to allow the elbow to rotate a lot, say 165 degrees, but when posed to it, the elbow snaps back to a smaller number, such as 45 degrees.

Fix - (at least has worked thus far for me)

Joint rotation order, x,y,z, in the constraints can cause "snap-backs" if the second and third letter are wrong.  In this example, x,y,z, the y and the z are the second and third letter.  So, if you know a joint's rotation order should start with an X, such as a sideways limb like an elbow, and you experience "snap-back" when posing the elbow, try changing x,y,z to x,z,y.

I am going through and checking the rigging of these comic style figures.  But in looking again, I am finding that I really prefer working with my claymation-style figures.  

Always try to remember to log Brash and Moxie's apearances in the monthly challenges.  Here they are in Challenge 44, any element, not just the 5th.  

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Very cool!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

Turns out the problem with creating conforming clothing for my custom figures (rigged in Carrara) has a solution.  3DAge cleared it up for me.  I have been putting the mesh and the bone skeleton (unattached) in a regular group and saving to the object browser before creating an animation group.  It is a convenient way to have these steps available for editing and tweaks.  I have then created the animaton group around this regular group and attaching the mesh to the skeleton.  Doing it in this order interferes with "fit to."  If I just put the mesh and skeleton (attached an ungrouped) in an animation group, then "fit to" works for custom figures rigged in Carrara.

Rigging Fix

So awesome! I had no idea that was possbile! yes

Rigging Fix

Good info - got some freebie critters that need to be rigged !

You will still have to edit the weight maps.  If you rig with Studio, the transfer utility works with custom figures.

You will still have to edit the weight maps.  If you rig with Studio, the transfer utility works with custom figures.

Still deciding to edit in Carrara or that software they have to give away. Hmmm - decisions....

Rigging Fix

Aaargh.  I did not name, label, or comment my fixed rigging and now I don’t remember which one it is!

as Homer Simpson would say, “Doh!”

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

rigging mysteries

Lately, I've been going through a bunch of tutorials on rigging in Studio.  Figures can be rigged in Studio and then used in Carrara, with the advantage of being able to use the transfer utility.

See the following link and a few posts that follow it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4984061/#Comment_4984061

edited October 2019

On the other hand, rigging in Carrara preserves maxmum fleibility for adjusting weightmaps and morphs on the fly.  yes

Diomede said:

On the other hand, rigging in Carrara preserves maxmum fleibility for adjusting weightmaps and morphs on the fly.  yes

Only been mucking around with rigging - need to get serious....

weight mapping brush in carrara without a clue

poor figure melted.

this the blended wight looks like in rara wm properties

ca blended weight.jpg
    1128 x 671 - 224K

Where did your figure originate?  Is it originally a Carrara rigged figure?  Poser?  Daz Studio?

edited October 2019
    Diomede said:

Where did your figure originate?  Is it originally a Carrara rigged figure?  Poser?  Daz Studio?

was using Teena.  her arm melted off.   tried g3f

dunno what i doing in carrara wm, was messing around to see if it could figure out how it works

Post edited by Mistara on

Brash and Moxie are So Cool! Love 'em!

Brash and Moxie are So Cool! Love 'em!

Thanks, Dart.  Brash and Moxie are on a hiatus while I concentrate on acquiring more general skills, but expect them to be back soon.

I know what you mean. I (accidentally) took several years off of my movie project to learn how to make movies! LOL

edited October 2019

Moxie

Moxie was the name of a beverage originated by a doctor, and then sold by a food company based in New England.  Their advertising campaigns helped shape the meaning of Moxie for generations.  Found a great reference during my trip to the Maine State Museum.  This book has a history of the Moxie beverage, from "Medicinal tonic" in the late 1800s to popular soft drink during the silent film era.  These two ads feature "Moxi Girls," who adorned promotional cardboard fans distributed at fairs and other events.  There were also ads featuring "Moxie Boys."

Moxie Composite.jpg
    800 x 600 - 207K

Brash and Moxie made an appearance in the Carrara monthly challenge.  Here they are hiding from a giant cyclops.

Brash and Moxie made another monthly challenge cameo.  Don't know that they should be called monthly challenges.  Probably should be called Carrara Forum Challenges.  Here they are in Challenge #53.

Is Brash related to, or inspired by Troy Tempest from the 1964 Stingray?

I admit that I'm a bit embarrassed to have gone 50 years without ever seeing this before!