What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You can put your folder any place you like, the default is just the recommended place I have 3 all in different places.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ....yeah, but for simplicity's sake if they revamped the runtime structure many us wouldn't need to deal; with having to make our own setups. 3DS doesn't do this neither does C4D. If Daz wants to make a truly "Pro" style app, they need to make it more elegant.

If they redo their runtime structure again just don't use it and point the program to your old runtime.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...it doesn't always work with proprietary content like Genesis

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Only place you can not have content and it work properly is in Programs Files. Including Genesis content.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...it doesn't always work with proprietary content like Genesis

It works. My Daz library has been F:\Daz Studio\My Library for almost 2 years.

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Richard: thank you! :)

SereneNight - what do you mean by awkward?
    I am selecting the light I want to aim like I select a camera and then use the camera moving thingies ...
    Much easier than in Poser, for example ...

When I use the 'look through the camera' to see where the focus of the light is, I find it really tough to visualize where it is in position to the character. It looks distorted and awkward to me.

SereneNight - If you have no trouble using perspective view you can move the perspective view to where you want the light and when you get the aim just right create the new light and select "Apply Active View port Transforms" and the light will be created right there. Works for creating cameras too.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

How about DAZ Studio 5 being fully backwards compatible with the products I buy here?

Finding that you now have look through several runtimes to find anything has turned me off of using DS 4 completely. I have the one to the left of the screen (with all the thumbnail images) and about 8 in the incredibly small window to the right of the screen and that’s not including my 2 custom made runtimes.

I went out and PURCHASED Poser 9 because of the troubles I’m having with DS 4. If I have to learn how to use a program I might as well use one where I can find things to use in my renders.

No wonder I’ve lost all interest in digital art in the last few years.

If you use just the Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats sections of the Content Library and ignore the Smart Content pane (and the presets tabs of the Surfaces and parameter panes) then it will work like the Poser Library panel, aside from having lists for the different types of content (which require either the File>Import menu or special companion files for Poser).

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 70
    edited September 2013

How about DAZ Studio 5 being fully backwards compatible with the products I buy here?

Finding that you now have look through several runtimes to find anything has turned me off of using DS 4 completely. I have the one to the left of the screen (with all the thumbnail images) and about 8 in the incredibly small window to the right of the screen and that’s not including my 2 custom made runtimes.

I went out and PURCHASED Poser 9 because of the troubles I’m having with DS 4. If I have to learn how to use a program I might as well use one where I can find things to use in my renders.

If you use just the Poser Formats and DAZ Studio Formats sections of the Content Library and ignore the Smart Content pane (and the presets tabs of the Surfaces and parameter panes) then it will work like the Poser Library panel, aside from having lists for the different types of content (which require either the File>Import menu or special companion files for Poser).

You mean this mess?

* I guess I forgot to add a zero after that 8 in my original posting.

2_3_and_4.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 241K
    1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 353K
    Post edited by Ewokzombie on
  • jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited February 2016

X

Post edited by jdfox on
    edited December 1969

You mean this mess?

It appears you have installed content to separate folders, instead of a shared folder. Since that's Poser format content you would get exactly the same mess in Poser's library panel.

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

You mean this mess?

It appears you have installed content to separate folders, instead of a shared folder. Since that's Poser format content you would get exactly the same mess in Poser's library panel.

What mess?

I believe I used the same set up to install the runtimes in both DS4 and Poser 9 but DS4 seems to have a mind of its own to add in anything on my computer that has "runtime" mentioned in it. While I cant confirm if everything from the DAZ libraries were installed into Poser 9 (since I have picked up 2359 items from DAZ over the years), it is no way the lost cause the I have to look at for DS4.

The only runtimes that should be there are DAZ Studio (library or whatever it is), the one from Poser 9, and my two custom runtimes I made for content I pick up from non-DAZ sites Sci-Fi and Fantasy Themed and Studio Library. I haven't installed ANYTHING from anywhere except here since I installed DS4 and using that Install Manager. That is with the exception of 2 known items that it didn't work for some reason, Noctem and Demonkia where I had to manually reinstall them.

At any rate I'm probably going to delete everything DAZ Studio related and try and start fresh with a custom DS runtime that isn't a total loss. When it takes over 20 minutes to even find something your after, there is something wrong with the "default" library set ups and I don't have until 2034 or when ever you get around to it to fix all the content so its under the "smart" section where it should have been in the first place.

poser_9.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 254K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager and remove the extra Runtimes. I always add mine manually.

edited September 2013

...how about a way to measure distance for the camera to your subject in RL units (metric, English)? Would be very useful when using DOF and effects cameras like AoA's Volumetric/Fog Camera.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited September 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...how about a way to measure distance for the camera to your subject in RL units (metric, English)? Would be very useful when using DOF and effects cameras like AoA's Volumetric/Fog Camera.

View your camera through the top view so you can see the DOF planes- it's a lot easier than calculating numbers and you can get more accurate (for instance, the number method can't do the tip of the nose specifically, just the head in general).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

...still doesn't help with the Volume and Fog camera which express distance to the subject/background in metres. Right now I have to do a lot of "guesstimating" and time consuming test renders.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...still doesn't help with the Volume and Fog camera which express distance to the subject/background in metres. Right now I have to do a lot of "guesstimating" and time consuming test renders.

My mistake. I just loaded mine. I don't know why I thought I remembered there being visible fog planes similar to the DOF planes.
    edited December 1969

..yeah, it's Nerd3D's fog tool that uses fog planes. Could have used that and the plume mode but then it would have slowed things down to almost Realtiy/Lux render times.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

How about an internal Bug-Report / Feature-Request-for-DS6 tool? ;)

I still remember the "What should they add to Version 2?" thread.

• Starbase 1 - NickStarbase 1 - Nick Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

There are two things that really prevent me from making more use of Daz Studio:

1. Content Management
    It's taken huge strides in recent releases, but it's still a complete pain to try and work out where to find things. Hair can be a prop and not hair, a building seems capable of popping up almost anywhere. I realise that there's a nasty messy legacy behind a lot of the issues, but it still slows me down and frustrates.

2. Exporting.
    I like to make my own hard body models, but characters are beyond my abilities. I want to use DS for things like making pilots to go in vehicles I build or download. Which is why I look to DAZ Studio to plug the gap. But when I try and get a clean transfer of a figure out, it's always painful, and sometimes does not work at all. OBJ is most reliable, but messes up on things like smoothing, specular settings and transparency maps. The only thing that seems to work is painfully working through each surface one at a time, manually applying and correcting textures.FBX gives similar problems, with the added 'feature' of reseting the pose before it's exported.

If I could use the content I purchase easily by exporting for use in other programs, I would buy a LOT more of it.

I don't need working morphs, animations, or anything like that, I just want to save out a static figure with clothes props and hair, and load it up with no more that 30 minutes work to clean up.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

I would like to see an option to have aspect ratios and specific render dimensions locked to individual cameras. For example, if I have three cameras viewing a scene from different angles, I'd like to be able to set the render aspect ratio and render size for each camera independently. As it is now, if I switch from one camera to the next, they all share the same render settings, so if I make changes to take advantage of one camera perspective, I'm effectively changing it for all of the cameras. Thanks...

edited December 1969

...I'd like it to not collapse expanded folder trees in the Content Library tab every time you perform a save during a session.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I'd like it to not collapse expanded folder trees in the Content Library tab every time you perform a save during a session.

I've never seen that -- just tried it now with the current release.

edited October 2013

...happens to me all the time. I have the Content Library tab set it to the classic "tree" view as that is what I am used to using. Don't care much for horizontal scrolling and the default version takes up more room (I can have a much narrower sidebar with the vertical tree display)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...happens to me all the time. I have the Content Library tab set it to the classic "tree" view as that is what I am used to using. Don't care much for horizontal scrolling and the default version takes up more room (I can have a much narrower sidebar with the vertical tree display)

Not doing it for me in Tree view either.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Not sure if either of these have been requested but:

1. I would really love a way to hide multiple nodes by highlighting them with shift or crtl. Currently if I want to hide three characters from a scene the most effective way is to group them and hide the group. But why can't we just select a bunch of items at once and hide or show?

2. I would really love it if we were able to flag Poser items and categorize them in a way to make them show in Smart Content.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

1. You can, just use the Visible button in the Parameters pane.

2. I'm not sure I understand - you mean to give the content a compatibility base that is a Poser-format figure?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Not doing it for me in Tree view either.
    ...so is there some setting I'm not aware of?

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited October 2013

1. You can, just use the Visible button in the Parameters pane.

2. I'm not sure I understand - you mean to give the content a compatibility base that is a Poser-format figure?

Not exactly. If you highlight multiple characters at once, then select parameters and choose visible=off, only the first character is hidden. At least that is what happen in my experience. Also, the point of being able to highlight and hide multiple items at once is not to have to use multiple steps to achieve it. It would be nice if I could simply highlight multiple selections and press the "V" at the top of the column and have them hidden.

As for giving content compatibility, yes it would be great if you could somehow select a Poser compatible prop or clothing and right click -> "Add to Smart Content." I personally have a huge mess of a Content Library of Poser items and it has been challenging to figure out a way to organize stuff. So this way someone could slowly move everything they wanted into the Smart Content side and not have to fumble around in the Content Library.

Post edited by Geminii23 on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Doesn't smart content have to do with the metadata?

The Poser content you're referring to, is it sold here at DAZ or is it content from another brokerage. Poser and DS don't seem to use the same type of metadata. If vendors from other sites aren't worried about metadata (which they don't seem to be), you will probably always have products that aren't in smart content.

edited December 1969

...how about being able to just pull up the render progress dialogue without the having to maximise entire UI? Or when rendering to a separate window have one in one of the bottom corners? I often minimise the UI while rendering. so I can monitor system performance during the process.