Project Dogwaffle Howler

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited November 2018

Can the Howler & Artist use the same thread or are there enough differences to seperate the two ?

I bought Artist when it was at a nice price too, will be interesting to see how it compares with the other paint programs, PaintShopPro and Paint.net are my usual goto's.

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • I would actually recommend we stay in the same thread. There's a lot of overlap

Howler adds animation to all that Artst does. And ANimation means a lot of things. Light table, animated filters, keyframable. And painting with video on video. Artist has animbrushes too, but they paint into a single image.

Howler has an extra submenu in Filters menu, "Animated". Most other filters are also including an Animate option in Howler. The extra submenu adds a bunch more filters which are usually used for animations but in a few cases could also apply for a single image. But we promote the animated intent of them. For example the Tunnel filter.... much nicer when animated. Or the clouds in Particle.modeler.

There are a few tools too such as the Curve tool where you can do rotoscoping, well that just only makes sense in an image sequence. But the rest of the Curve tool has a purpose in life in still image too.

I think it may be useful for Artist users to see what they're missing out on, or when they start getting into animation and video post work, they'll appreciate having learned an Artist tool that is a subset of Howler, and can easily thus learn the extra tools because the workflows are similar (such as storing an animation vs. an image, brush or selection).;

I vote for making this the thread on all things that waffle and howl.

• I'm heading over to the new thread to see what's going on over there. I'll try to check both more regularly.

I'm getting ready to do another paid Webinar in December (Saturday the 15th) with Digital Art Live on Urban scapes. Using JSplacement and Howler. So spread the word please?

We are hoping that DAZ will accept it after the recording, but there are no guarentees on that.

• night vision for night owls

hi Tiff, looking forward to that webinar. do give details soon. I'll be on the road (or on the globe for that matter).

Anyone waffling and howling in Singapore? Let's jam. Bring laptop. Or Warsaw airport or ZUrich? Geneva/Sion or Gatwick?   Ping me.

Tiff, what's the 'other' new thread, seen one?

• hi folks, PD Howler is now at v11.4b RC159, final build

PD Artist is at 11.4, RC 134  (not 154 - that was a typo)

Also, if you're into building cityscapes (and who doesn't want a roof over their head, right?), here's an upcoming webnar you may want to register for:

https://digitalartlive.com/event/pd-howler-how-to-create-stunning-city-scenes/

Happy rendering!

• night vision for night owls

hi Tiff, looking forward to that webinar. do give details soon. I'll be on the road (or on the globe for that matter).

Anyone waffling and howling in Singapore? Let's jam. Bring laptop. Or Warsaw airport or ZUrich? Geneva/Sion or Gatwick?   Ping me.

Tiff, what's the 'other' new thread, seen one?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4151951#Comment_4151951

This is the new one. It's a little more out in the open.

Look forward to your comments there, too!

• This is just a quick reminder that the Urbanscapes webinar through Digital Art Live is this Saturday the 15th of December. Hope to see some of you there!

• Going live in just over 2 hours! Last chance to sign up for the webinar: https://digitalartlive.com/event/pd-howler-how-to-create-stunning-city-scenes/

Was very tempted but the time was bedtime for me.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Some interesting techniques for creating heightmaps suitable for cities, and ways to create brushes that can be used on the vertical surfaces for windows, etc.  Some great scifi examples, especially the cities with ship docks and water channels.   I'll have to do more experimenting to sort out what can be used in Carrara's terrain modeler and Carrara's shaders, and what would have to be dropped in as a backdrop.  I was most intrigued by a way to take heightmaps and make them circular for the hull of a spaceship, but there were other cool things like tileable heightmaps.  Thanks, Tiffanie.

• Thank you for attending and glad that you had some good take-aways from it!

Thank you for attending and glad that you had some good take-aways from it!

If it's released as a DAZ3D product will be keen on purchasing it.

• Just found out it has been accepted, will be out sometime in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye out!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,207

Hope Dart is OK.  He always has a lot going on with his stone business, and his band, etc.  Wishng the best.

Tiffanie, will all the examples be landscapes, or will there be other examples as well?  Just curious.

Yup. Doing really well, in fact.

I have some really cool Howler tricks to share as well - if only I could get to the internet long enough! LOL  I have to go right now, as a matter of fact :(

I see some mention of HitFilm and such... I'll try and get back here to answer some questions and report some cool stuff really soon. Sorry for the eternal absence on my part. Carrara machine is down to half RAM, and still not running well, even after a fresh install of Windows. Other than that, I can at least still do a little art before it just crashes outright. Soon I'll be building a new Ryzen machine and be back up and running, but on Win10, which I'm not super happy about, but it's the only Windows that supports the modern hardware (which is why my Carrara machine is hard to fix, these days - I don't want to spend $$$ to downgrade my specs). Oh well - it's fine.

See you all soon, I hope! If not, I'll at least pop in when I can and say "Hi!"

Dart

Just found out it has been accepted, will be out sometime in the next couple of weeks, so keep an eye out!

Bought !!! - Hope it sells well.

Cool Tiffanie! Looks like a really have a LOT of catching up to do!

I must say, Howler and I are completely attached now. Even moreso than before. I do love my Howler art department!

Some interesting techniques for creating heightmaps suitable for cities, and ways to create brushes that can be used on the vertical surfaces for windows, etc.  Some great scifi examples, especially the cities with ship docks and water channels.   I'll have to do more experimenting to sort out what can be used in Carrara's terrain modeler and Carrara's shaders, and what would have to be dropped in as a backdrop.  I was most intrigued by a way to take heightmaps and make them circular for the hull of a spaceship, but there were other cool things like tileable heightmaps.  Thanks, Tiffanie.

I really need to organize my acquired tutorials.  I've got some from the Daz store, some from Digital Art Live directly, and some from other stores/sources.  In addition to this most recent session which Tiffanie says Daz has accepted, there are a couple more Howler tutorials (not sure which ones are in the Daz store and which are directly from DAL).  Howler has great value in its own right, but more directly here as a Carrara topic, it can b used to create heightmaps, backdrops, and much more.  Given that this month's challenge includes multipasses, Dart's points about incuding Howler as part of an overall workflow seems quite timely.

I have a wonderful system of folders in my "Video" folder on Windows which breaks things down - first by retailer, like DAZ 3D, TheBest3D, etc., - then by Software, like Carrara, Howler, etc., then by Author, like PhilW, mmoir, Tiffanie, etc., Then either by topic or other group, like Phil's videos by product title, etc.,

I use MediaPlayerClassic, which comes with the CCP (community codec project - allows Win users to play any type of video file), which lets me just drag a folder onto its desktop shortcut to open and paly as a playlist.

So my folder structure allows me to play nice, specific playlists of full chapters and topics.

The other method I use is to open MediaPlayerClassic, then my folder structure, and drag what I want for my playlist in order into the playlist area (right-click > view > playlist)

• edited January 2019

Hi Dart! So glad to see you! We've all missed your great enthusiasm!

As is mentioned above, the latest video is out!

As for where they are available, 3 are in the Digital Art Live Vendor store here on DAZ - Create Stunning Landscapes,  20 Powerful Postwork Proceedures and now How to Create City Scenes
    My other one is at HiveWire3d and is called - Wilderness Scenes Advanced Painting Techniques
    And of course there are the free ones on YouTube.

Always happy to answer questions, if Dart doesn't get to them first!

PS. @Dart, there is also a new thread that was started that is outside the Carrara forum if you want to stop by there sometimes.

Post edited by Tiffanie Gray - IDLM on

Very, very cool!

I love your awesome teaching/tutorial style. You're truly made for that... and a terrific artist as well!

What's also really cool, I think, is how very different you and I (and Phillip) use Dogwaffle. So as each of us answer questions or go on rants, it's always from different styles of creating art and different ways of using the software!

Anyone who has joined the newsletter from Dogwaffle will know that Dan Ritchie is truly amazing. He's constantly working really Really hard to keep bringing more and more to the (art) table for us - and has always kept Dogwaffle (in all of its various forms) very artist-friendly. But I wonder how many people know how very amazing his art is? He's truly fantastic, I think.

Speaking of die-hards, Phillip (Staiger) is also a very strong force in helping Dogwaffle to be the best that it can be.

But it should also be known that Tiffanie is ALWAYS testing the latest new parts of the software and ALWAYS reporting her findings to Dan. Truly a die-hard and is always pushing it to its very limits - and then some. Kudos, girl! You ROCK!

As for the other thread, do you have a link? I don't make my way to many online places beyond this Carrara forum (and my e-mail), since I have very little internet time - but I'd love to at least check it out!

PD Howler thread in the Art Studio Forum.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/291416/the-amazing-pd-howler-dogwaffle-tips-tricks-and-discussion-thread#latest

Intended to attract a wider audience.

Because Wydah is Bettah! wink

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Because the conversation shouldn't really have been in the Carrara forum in the first place.  DogWaffle is not Carrara specific, so threads should either be in Commercial forum if advertising a new version or up grade, or Commons,  or as we suggested this time in the Art Studio, because it is an Art program and the thread will be render heavy.

Chohole said:

Because the conversation shouldn't really have been in the Carrara forum in the first place.  DogWaffle is not Carrara specific, so threads should either be in Commercial forum if advertising a new version or up grade, or Commons,  or as we suggested this time in the Art Studio, because it is an Art program and the thread will be render heavy.

Right, I understand that. I'm sorry that I tend to only frequent the Carrara forum :(

Interestingly, Staigerman of Project Dogwaffle used to work for Eovia, whom was the developer of Carrara prior to Daz 3d! ;)

• Interestingly, Staigerman of Project Dogwaffle used to work for Eovia, whom was the developer of Carrara prior to Daz 3d! ;)

I didn't know that!

• yep yep, and I was with TGS (Template Graphics Software) before we acquired Eovia, as the Clappier bros tried to salvage Carrara from Metacreations (aka mega-cremations). I was the Amapi evangelist at the time. Eovia came in at the perfect time. Carrara was perfect for us.

You'll still see some old vestiges of my Carrara and Amapi passions at www.thebest3d.com/carrara and www.thebest3d.com/amapi - albeit some broken or dubious links too

Interestingly, Staigerman of Project Dogwaffle used to work for Eovia, whom was the developer of Carrara prior to Daz 3d! ;)

I didn't know that!

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited August 2019

hey folks, there have been quite a number of updates on Howler 12 aka Howler 2019 in late Spring. Later this summer we transitioned to Howler 2020, aka v13. Both the Howler and Artist editions are out (not at Daz yet - working on that soon).

If you'd like to check what's new, we recommend reading and visiting  the newsletters, the Howler channel on youtube, and the main product pages - and of course try the free demo.

https://www.thebest3d.com/2020

https://www.thebest3d.com/dogwaffle/newsletter

https://www.youtube.com/pdhowler

Oh and we'll do a free webinar at DigitalArtLive on September 14.  Come join and ask questions. Hope to see you there!

And ask away here as well.  In fact let me ask the first question, to prioritize:  which edition would you prefer:   PD Artist 2020 or PD Howler 2020 ?

Post edited by staigerman on
  • staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited August 2019

Also, we're co-sponsoring an art contest with Pixarra, maker of Twistedbrush. You could win a copy of Howler 2020.  Check https://www.thebest3d.com/competition for details. There are a few weeks left to submit your art.

Post edited by staigerman on
This discussion has been closed.