Export DAZ Model with Proper Bone Orientations

Does anyone know of a way to export or reconfigure a DAZ character that has been exported as FBX to contain the same bone orientations as they do inside of DAZ?

For example, I exported the Genisis 8 Male Dev Load and imported into MODO, and as seen in the attached image, the local bone orientations all align to the global axis instead of how they originally were aligned.

I've tried a number of 3D modeling applications and they all result in the same output.

Comments

• What options did you have set in the DS FBX exporter dialogue?

• @Richard Haseltine here are my export options (see attached)

• You don't have Morphs checked. I'm not sure if you also need Aniamtions checked - the pose settings go there in a .duf file, but that doesn't mean they will in FBX.

• I have previously exported other models with morphs and animations checked and still get the same result where the FBX does not have the bone orientation.

• Have you tried a diffrent FBX version (top-right of the dialogue)?

• Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately that didn't solve it for me yet :(

I also tried out of curiousity toggling the Limits and Locks options as well. No luck yet.

• Hi there.

If you export a character as FBX and you load the file to a text editor like Notepad++, you will see that the orientation of the bones is stored in the file.

But it seems that this information is not recognized by the FBX import of Modo. So Modo just orients the bones from one joint to the next joint.
    The Cinema 4D importer has the same problem, but a different strategy. Here the bones are simply directed in negative Y-direction. One option is a Daz script that I wrote, which puts all bone orientations as quaternion into an external file. Then I can use a Cinema 4D script to read this file and set the initial bone orientation in Cinema 4D.

I cannot say, if other applications import the FBX bone orientation in the right way...

• UpL8RenderingUpL8Rendering Posts: 129
    edited May 2019

This free add-on for Blender is the only thing I have found that does a good job orientating bones correctly.

http://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/p/daz-importer-version-13.html

It has a ton of other features like importing poses, morphs, correctives, etc.

You might be able to then export from Blender to whatever program you need it for.

Rig_Setup.png
    1920 x 1040 - 224K
    Post edited by UpL8Rendering on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,442

For example, I exported the Genisis 8 Male Dev Load and imported into MODO, and as seen in the attached image, the local bone orientations all align to the global axis instead of how they originally were aligned.

I'm a blender user and ex-lightwave so I may be wrong on modo .. but it seems to me that modo uses joints and bones, so those are the joints orientations. If importing animations works fine I'd not change them.

• shane.berezowski_aea85de52e said:

Does anyone know of a way to export or reconfigure a DAZ character that has been exported as FBX to contain the same bone orientations as they do inside of DAZ?

I've tried a number of 3D modeling applications and they all result in the same output.

Hi

I'm new in daz.

It's 2024 and I hope sb find the answer

I have this issue either, i look at the orientation of the daz bone (axis) comparing to the bone itself and I think it is not alined to the bone!!!

especially when you animate or move the bone.

In most of software like Daz there is local,world and gimbal coordinate system but as here in the below picture when you rotate the uparm the Axis keep the same.

And it looklike daz export this Fix Axis when Daz export animation as fbx!!!

Any help?

Thanks in advance

Daz issue_01.jpg
    1587 x 836 - 270K
    Daz issue_02.png
    1582 x 808 - 149K