Help with Dforce & DS crashes :(

Today I went to use a Dforce out on my comp & the display driver & DS both ended up crashing. I tried this a few times- same result. I even restarted my comp-same thing. I recently had to change my HD due to a crashed HD.(this shouldn't have anthing to do with this issue just figured mention it)  As far as I know. I use DS4.10 & Win7 64 bit but not a niveda vidcard. The RAM is 8gb though.I had no issues with using dforce before the HD replacement so I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong now. Can anyone give me any advive? I also tried this with a couple different items & same results.

Thanks for any help.

Rose

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

It sounds like you need more RAM. What edition of Windows 7 64-bit are you running? Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional?

• Windows 7 Home Premium it says.

• Have you recently updated your graphics card drivers? That has caused me headaches with dforce in the past.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Windows 7 Home Premium it says.

Okay. According to an old article I found on ZDNet, Home Premium supports up to 16GB of RAM. Chances are, so does your motherboard. That computer is, I'm guessing, several years old. The RAM it uses is probably not in high demand and may be hard to find. My first stop would be your local electronics recycling center, if you have one. Ours not only recycles what doesn't work, they refurbish and sell anything that does. They are a great source for older tech, and usually at great prices.

I really hope you can find the RAM at a price you can justify. But remember, that new hard drive you just bought can be migrated to a new computer, if and when you decide to upgrade. (I usually get a new computer every five years, whatever is a great deal at Costco at the time!)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019

Today I went to use a Dforce out on my comp & the display driver & DS both ended up crashing. I tried this a few times- same result. I even restarted my comp-same thing. I recently had to change my HD due to a crashed HD.(this shouldn't have anthing to do with this issue just figured mention it)  As far as I know. I use DS4.10 & Win7 64 bit but not a niveda vidcard. The RAM is 8gb though.I had no issues with using dforce before the HD replacement so I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong now. Can anyone give me any advive? I also tried this with a couple different items & same results.

Thanks for any help.

Rose

"No issues before", is only useful to confirm you have previously used dforce; with computers it will never mean will always continue to work, sadly.

I'm guessing that Studio is the most computer intensive software you use?

If so this means it could be software or hardware. It would be useful to try and eliminate one, perhaps software; what has changed on your PC between working and not working? Anything? Drivers, Updates, Downloads (they bring malware in its various forms) for some examples.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • I'll have to check as far as I know I've not put aything new on this comp. It was built when Win 8 came out but I didn't want 8-that's why it's Win 7. So yes a few years old.I checkedthe drivers & they said they're current but that might not be true.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

If your system could run dForce before, it's not likely the hardware specs are at fault. The new HD could have introduced an issue: was it the boot HD or a data drive? Was it a clean install or a cloned copy of the old drive? Does it have the right/same Open CL as before?

New software, software updates, or driver updates can all be a suspect. Did you add any new software? software updates? window updates? GPU updates? Some of these can be automatically done so even if you haven't made changes, your system may have. 

Do you have any saved scenes with dForce that you know you could run before? If so, run a few and see if they crash too. 

• totally new install no clone.I'm not sure what is meant by boot or data-it's the only HD on this comp except for some externals. I'm nott sure on the Open CL-how do I check that? All Windows updates say they're current. according to the Device Manager & going through properties -drives claim to be current. Is there a better way to check drivers? I don't have any scenes unfotunaly but I did try to run sims with outfits that I used before the HS crash & now they won't run either.

• Oh I forgot to mention that I had to order a new fan as the 1 that is located under the power supply but on the comp case frame looks to be cracked - could that affect the cooling & cause it to not be able to run DS /dforce sims properly?I have a new fan arriving next week though,.