From Public Beta To Final Release: Do We Have To Reinstall Everything?

Hi everyone :D

I'm currently using the great 4.11 Beta. I was wondering: when the final release will come out, will I have to reinstall the software and all the content? Or will it simply be an improval update?

Thanks! ^^

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,910

You don't have to reinstall your content when installing updates to DS.

As for the main program and plugins, that's up to you: the "public build" version released just after a beta phase will usually be the same version as the latest beta, so you won't get new functions by intalling it. However if you plan to try betas regularly it can be useful to have the latest stable version installed too in case you have problems with the beta (betas and public releases are installed in different directories).

• Leana said:

You don't have to reinstall your content when installing updates to DS.

As for the main program and plugins, that's up to you: the "public build" version released just after a beta phase will usually be the same version as the latest beta, so you won't get new functions by intalling it. However if you plan to try betas regularly it can be useful to have the latest stable version installed too in case you have problems with the beta (betas and public releases are installed in different directories).

"Public Build" is the beta, strictly - the non-beta is the General Release.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,116

I've not understood. So I could just leave the public build installed indefinitively, and it would become 4.12 etc. without the need to reinstall everything?

• No, the Public Build and the General release are separate installs which don't interfere with each other. Because theya re separate you need to reinstall anything that writes files to the application folder (plug-ins, plus some shaders and scripts, if they support betas) after first isntalling a Public Beta.

Generally, if there isn't a Public beta that's ahead of the General Release then the Public Beta will be available in the same version as the General Release. Neither version of DS will update without being told to.

No, the Public Build and the General release are separate installs which don't interfere with each other. Because theya re separate you need to reinstall anything that writes files to the application folder (plug-ins, plus some shaders and scripts, if they support betas) after first isntalling a Public Beta.

Generally, if there isn't a Public beta that's ahead of the General Release then the Public Beta will be available in the same version as the General Release. Neither version of DS will update without being told to.

So will the current Public Build I've installed remain 4.11 forever, or will it switch to 4.12 etc. one day?

I've checked "daily updates".

kameneko said:

No, the Public Build and the General release are separate installs which don't interfere with each other. Because theya re separate you need to reinstall anything that writes files to the application folder (plug-ins, plus some shaders and scripts, if they support betas) after first isntalling a Public Beta.

So will the current Public Build I've installed remain 4.11 forever, or will it switch to 4.12 etc. one day?

It won’t install updates automatically, if that’s what you’re asking. If there’s a new version released  it will appear in DIM as “ready to download” and then you’ll need to tell DIM to download and install it.

Leana said:
    kameneko said:

It won’t install updates automatically, if that’s what you’re asking. If there’s a new version released  it will appear in DIM as “ready to download” and then you’ll need to tell DIM to download and install it.

Oh...okay!

Since it took me 5 hours to organize everything again this time (I asked on the forum how to do a backup but nobody answered :'( ) it will be a bore to do that again in the future...thank you anyway!

kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:

Oh...okay!

Since it took me 5 hours to organize everything again this time (I asked on the forum how to do a backup but nobody answered :'( ) it will be a bore to do that again in the future...thank you anyway!

Content is not modified when you reinstall DS, so you don't have to reorganize it after installing an update.

Leana said:
    kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:

Oh...okay!

Content is not modified when you reinstall DS, so you don't have to reorganize it after installing an update.

Are you sure? Maybe I've done something wrong, but from 4.10 to 4.11 I had to check everything!

kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:

Oh...okay!

Are you sure? Maybe I've done something wrong, but from 4.10 to 4.11 I had to check everything!

Betas and General Release don't share their config, as both can be insstalled on the same computer and there might be changes in the beta which would break general release if config was shared. So the first time you install a beta you need to redo the config for it even if you already had general release installed.

But once you have the config done it should remain when installing new versions.

edited January 2019
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:
    Leana said:
    kameneko said:

Oh...okay!

Betas and General Release don't share their config, as both can be insstalled on the same computer and there might be changes in the beta which would break general release if config was shared. So the first time you install a beta you need to redo the config for it even if you already had general release installed.

But once you have the config done it should remain when installing new versions.

That's what I was talking about: the last time I had to check every single Daz Connect installed product, and it took almost as much as it would have taked to download everything again!

Without considering the converters, the freebies etc. that I had to redo from the ground

Post edited by LenioTG on
  • As leana said, the diffrent versions (General reelase, Public Build etc.) don't share settings so you need to make sure, for the database driven views and features, that you set them up correctly. Rob has a sample script for this http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start - download, using the button above the code, drag into the Viewport of the general release; the script will then prompt you to save a file, do so then start the Public Build (beta) and drag that saved script into its Viewport.

As leana said, the diffrent versions (General reelase, Public Build etc.) don't share settings so you need to make sure, for the database driven views and features, that you set them up correctly. Rob has a sample script for this http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/save_mapped_paths/start - download, using the button above the code, drag into the Viewport of the general release; the script will then prompt you to save a file, do so then start the Public Build (beta) and drag that saved script into its Viewport.

Relly nice, that will be helpful, thanks! :D

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,718

Wow that is all too confusing for me. I'll just stick with the latest released version.