Whose the Oldest Active PA

Random curiousity: which PA has been active in the store the longest? Anybody still around from the beginning?

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Don't know who's the oldest, but there are still a lot of "old" vendors in the store: Mallen Lane, Laurie Stanley, Jack Tomalin (was in a partnership with Gordana early on if I remember correctly but the name they used escapes me at the moment. LOL).Rob Whisenant (sp) made a lot of the first fish and other things in the Zygote and early Daz store I think (like the triggerfish and lionfish). I'm not sure if he's still with the company tho.

Laurie

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    AllenArt said:

Don't know who's the oldest, but there are still a lot of "old" vendors in the store: Mallen Lane, Laurie Stanley, Jack Tomalin (was in a partnership with Gordana early on if I remember correctly but the name they used escapes me at the moment. LOL).Rob Whisenant (sp) made a lot of the first fish and other things in the Zygote and early Daz store I think (like the triggerfish and lionfish). I'm not sure if he's still with the company tho.

Laurie

Is the name you can not remember "Redhouse"? I vaguely recall reading that Jack (in partnership with others) worked under that name for a while at the beginning.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,294

https://www.daz3d.com/fashion-studio has a SKU of 32, and is one of (if not the oldest) product still available in the store, it has even been updated with new Iray shaders. The PA is macclean, who is still an active PA, and so is likely a candidate for the oldest still active PA.

However some current PAs may have created products even before the introduction of the SKU system.

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004
    edited January 2019
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Rob Whiz was the first PA, and for several years he has been the architect/lead programmer of Daz Studio. I came on the year or two after Rob along with some others—Cake One was here before me, as well as a few others who are still around. MacLean and Valandar started before me or at the same time, I think.

Post edited by Canary3d on
    edited January 2019
    Havos said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Is the name you can not remember "Redhouse"? I vaguely recall reading that Jack (in partnership with others) worked under that name for a while at the beginning.

Redhouse Studio...that was it ;). And yeah...maclean has been around a LONG time. LOL

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745

There's also The3DWizard, who made clothing for V1 and M1 and is still producing new products for Genesis 8. 

• Canary3dCanary3d Posts: 2,004

Here's a wayback machine page from shortly after Daz and Zygote split. https://web.archive.org/web/20010712130829/http://www.daz3d.com:80/pages/broker/brokerintro.html 

Handspan Studios, already a top seller then, as I recall, and still amazing now...Catharina is Mec4d, and there are a few other names that everyone will recognize. I had one product, LOL...I have always been among the slowest PAs!

edited January 2019
    Canary3d said:

Here's a wayback machine page from shortly after Daz and Zygote split. https://web.archive.org/web/20010712130829/http://www.daz3d.com:80/pages/broker/brokerintro.html 

Handspan Studios, already a top seller then, as I recall, and still amazing now...Catharina is Mec4d, and there are a few other names that everyone will recognize. I had one product, LOL...I have always been among the slowest PAs!

Wow, that brings back the memories ;). I remember before V1 (Millie) came out and it was still Zygote. I have the Buck and a few other things on a CD. LOL. Always wanted to get Rob's merman, but never got around to it ;).

Edit: OMGosh...MAB! I had a bunch of her stuff. And that sea serpent...I LOVED that thing. LOL. I remember I made a texture for the triggerfish years and years and years ago...I know I've got an image somewhere....

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

Rob Whisenant and McLean are among earliest. My first sku was 370.

https://www.daz3d.com/millennium-girls-clothing-ensemble

Hahaha...here it is. I don't even know how old this render is. I know it was Vue, but can't remember if it was 2 or 3. Might have been 2 ;). It's old. LOL.

Laurie

reefrivals.jpg
    600 x 445 - 138K
  • BarzoffBarzoff Posts: 95

Cake One is one of the oldest PA here. She released a character named Lucie for Victoria 1 circa 2000, and these days, she still released some Iray HDRI environnement sets with Bob Callawah.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I submitted my first product in June, 2001, and I was the 12th PA to join DAZ. The product was called Cyber Studio and had an SKU of 32. I updated it in 2005 with a complete rebuild and renamed it Fashion Studio. I updated it again last month, with another rebuild, new props and an Iray version. So it's probably the oldest product in the store which is 100% compatible with current technology.

When I started with DAZ, there were no forums, no DAZ Studio, and PAs received an e-mail every time they made a sale (If that happened now, I'd be inundated with e-mails!!). I know Rob Whisenant was around, and Mallen Lane, but I can't remember any others.

I've been here longer than any of the DAZ staff. Even Dan Farr hasn't outlasted me! Of course, he was rich enough (or smart enough) to reitre. LOL.

• AllenArt said:
    Havos said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Redhouse Studio...that was it ;). And yeah...macclean has been around a LONG time. LOL

Laurie

Gee, now I feel old :)

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

But you don't look old. It could be that your avatar just isn't a recent photograph. It could be that you just age well. But there's a third possibility, which is that somewhere in your basement there's a PC that runs 24/7, permanently displaying an image of Michael 4 that slowly ages as the years go by, Dorian Gray-style.

I know which explanation I believe.

• But you don't look old. It could be that your avatar just isn't a recent photograph. It could be that you just age well. But there's a third possibility, which is that somewhere in your basement there's a PC that runs 24/7, permanently displaying an image of Michael 4 that slowly ages as the years go by, Dorian Gray-style.

I assumed he just shunted his decrepitude onto the various Forsaken and so on sets. With Christmas and New Year dissipation behind us we should be due a really ruinous set.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

But you don't look old. It could be that your avatar just isn't a recent photograph. It could be that you just age well. But there's a third possibility, which is that somewhere in your basement there's a PC that runs 24/7, permanently displaying an image of Michael 4 that slowly ages as the years go by, Dorian Gray-style.

According to his start date Jack has been around at Daz before Daz (or even Zygote) was even around to be around in. I think his 2nd car is a Delorean (possibly one with a supercharged Flux Capacitator)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    AllenArt said:
    Havos said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Redhouse Studio...that was it ;). And yeah...macclean has been around a LONG time. LOL

Laurie

Gee, now I feel old :)

Not as old as you really are though ;-)

• I'd like to believe all of the above is true :D

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Judging by the hairstyle in the picture (of Jack), I'd say it was taken some 10-15 years ago. Everyone and their dad had hair like that in 2005.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    maclean said:

When I started with DAZ, there were no forums, no DAZ Studio, and PAs received an e-mail every time they made a sale (If that happened now, I'd be inundated with e-mails!!). I know Rob Whisenant was around, and Mallen Lane, but I can't remember any others.

I have it on good Authority that Rob was here so long ago that he has his autograph (done with a finger) in the cement of the foundation of the original building that housed Daz before it was ever Daz.

Some names have been and gone and come back, wash and repeat, but Rob has been around without any breaks from Day 0 till now.  And I am sure that he is also a PA,  I am convinced I have items in at least one of my runtimes with his name on them.   

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    TigerAnne said:

Judging by the hairstyle in the picture (of Jack), I'd say it was taken some 10-15 years ago. Everyone and their dad had hair like that in 2005.

Ha, I remember seeing that hairstyle for the 1st time when I lived in Switzerland too; if one was younger than a certain age range. And then I found out it's the same hair style as TinTin wears!

• Canary3d said:

Oooo... thanks for that link, fascinating reading.

I didn't even know that "Daz" was an acronym for "Digital Art Zone". Cool.

• My first product was this one https://www.daz3d.com/orc-character-for-michael ... December, 2001. SKU 501. I was one of the first PAs but some have me beat.

My first product was this one https://www.daz3d.com/orc-character-for-michael ... December, 2001. SKU 501. I was one of the first PAs but some have me beat.

Haha...came across a couple images I did of your orc when I was looking for my render of the trigger fish ;).

Laurie

• MallenLaneMallenLane Posts: 159
    edited January 2019

My first product was the Treant around March 2001, but I also wasn't a PA for very long. I was asked to work for DAZ in late 2002 and have been with them since. Most of the stuff I released personally after that point were just quirky side projects for me, when I found spare time. edit: I'm pretty sure Rob will outlast us all.

Post edited by MallenLane on
  • E-ArkhamE-Arkham Posts: 733

My first product was this one https://www.daz3d.com/orc-character-for-michael ... December, 2001. SKU 501. I was one of the first PAs but some have me beat.

That feeling when you look at a product from 2001 and see a big red "PURCHASED" from 17 years ago...

• GhostofMacbeth, DZFire, Maclean and Lyrra are the PA's that have been here the longest that are still active as I recall. 

• GhostofMacbeth, DZFire, Maclean and Lyrra are the PA's that have been here the longest that are still active as I recall. 

Rob is still around, and still a PA.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

I love the title of this thread - it conjures an image of a bunch of ageing PAs discussing who's up for the next marathon!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    MelanieL said:

I love the title of this thread - it conjures an image of a bunch of ageing PAs discussing who's up for the next marathon!

I pictured a nursing home with a LAN setup instead of oldies playing bridge with matches at card tables in the common room