silly question about download/install folders....

I downloaded a free hair pack from Rendorosity.  It is for G8M.  But I'm not sure where to place the files.  See the screenshot for what's in the archive.  Help please! :)

Comments

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505
    edited January 2019

Put them in your Daz "My Library" folders. Generally My Library is in My Documents -> Daz 3D -> Studio if you did not move them.

Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • zoldoszoldos Posts: 46

Okay I unzipped it to that folder but when I re-open DAZ, I can't find any of the content.  Did I do something wrong? sad

edited January 2019

It won't show in Smart Content by default. You need to go to the Content Library tab, expand "My Library," then "People," then "Genesis 8 Male." There should be a subfolder for hair that has your product.

Post edited by Chezjuan on

Okay got it.  It needed to be one folder down in the tree. It was directly under "Studio", not "Studio-->My Library".  Thanks!! yes

Okay got it.  It needed to be one folder down in the tree. It was directly under "Studio", not "Studio-->My Library".  Thanks!! yes

No problem. Sorry my instructions above weren't quite as clear as they could have been regarding the folder location.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

If you want to see them as "G8F" hair for example, drag them from content library to smart content while you have G8F selected! ;)

kameneko said:

If you want to see them as "G8F" hair for example, drag them from content library to smart content while you have G8F selected! ;)

What does this "do"?

Chezjuan said:

No problem. Sorry my instructions above weren't quite as clear as they could have been regarding the folder location.

You good.  No worries! :)

• kameneko said:

What does this "do"?

It makes the files "smart" - they will then show up in Smart Content when you have the figure selected if Filter By Context is checked.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It needed to be one folder down in the tree. It was directly under "Studio", not "Studio-->My Library".

Note that the "My Library" folder name is just the default content location on your computer. Other people, who might have been using DAZ|Studio through earlier program versions, might have different folder names, since the default has changed a few times over the years. If you get other renderosity installers, or content from other locations, don't be surprised to look in the .zip and come across a content location that isn't named "My Library". A more reliable way to make sure your content location and the newly downloaded installer are both open to the same folder depth is to look for the folder that contains folders named "Data" and "Runtime". These folders must always be in the base content location, so if you can see them on both sides, you can be sure you're looking at the .zip archive's content folder, no matter what its name might actually be.

(Also note that DAZ|Studio format content might not have a "Runtime" folder, if it doesn't include textures (e.g. for morphs-only content), and Poser-format content will not have a "Data" folder, since that's a D|S-only thing.)

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    kameneko said:

Wow! You can do that? I had no clue. I thought that you had to edit the metadata or something like that, and so I never tried

Thanks everyone for the tips!