Hexagon .zip is corrupt?

nights.fandomnights.fandom Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi! I just recently tried to download the free version of Hexagon 2.5, and I have winRAR to deal with .zip files. The download went fine, but when I opened up the .zip to view the contents, winRAR showed me an error saying 'Unexpected end of archive' and 'The archive is either unknown format or damaged'. It did the same thing when I downloaded the free version of DAZ studio, too. Could anyone help me with this? :(

Comments

• admkrkadmkrk Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Zip files? I know for content zips are/were for Macs and Winrar sounds like a windows program. Try the .exe files.

• nights.fandomnights.fandom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There are .exe files? Cuz when I clicked the 'download' button on both for the Windows version, it gave me the .zip files D: Is there anywhere else on this site where I can get the .exe files?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

No, it's supposed to be a zip file with the installer and a readme with the serial code. Can you try downloading it with a different browser?

• nights.fandomnights.fandom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well I was using chrome to download the files, but I think it was breaking the .zip files during the downloading! I switched to firefox to download them and it went smoothly! Thank you so much! :)

edited December 1969

No, it's supposed to be a zip file with the installer and a readme with the serial code. Can you try downloading it with a different browser?

Well I have a .exe file anyway. Did it change or is this something different?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

They changed it to a .zip a month or two ago, ISTR.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited July 2012

There have been a lot of issues with the .zip format. Kendall Sears has written a free utility to fix them - see this discussion http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/865/

Post edited by Roygee on
  • edited December 1969

A few trivial points...

Originally, DAZ software was downloadable as an EXE or MAC files, and the purchaser was sent a unique serial to their account. When DAZ started offering their software for free, and shortly before the site revamp, DAZ created ZIP files which included the installer and a common password in 1 file.

After the revamp, the zip files disappeared, and only the original EXE or MAC files were available for download, and finding a serial for it became a major issue here on the forums. DAZ finally published the serial numbers, and about a week or so ago I saw that hexagon is once again available as a ZIP file, which I'm assuming once again has the installer and the serial number included.

In other news, the ZIP format was developed on the PC. Way back in the BBS days, an outfit called SEA wrote a proprietary file archiver called ARC. Then some guy named phil katz wrote a free version he named PKARC. SEA infamously sued katz for using their copyrighted suffix ".arc", which raised a TREMENDOUS amount of resentment in the online community. Katz then developed PKZIP which ran circles around the old ARC format and left SEA holding nothing but their bad name. Almost ironically, katz' free ZIP format turned proprietary when someone else came out with a GUI version of the utility called WINZIP. Later enhancements to these formats were the DOS RAR and the GUI WINRAR format which has become pretty much de rigueur on the internet, and the newer yet 7-ZIP format.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Hello, everybody! This is not about the downloads from your accounts, this is about the free Hexagon here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/hexagon/hexagon-what-is-hexagon/

Now to the OP: The most likely reason for your problem is that your download ended prematurely. Look at the file size of your zip. Is it smaller than 92/93MB? Then the file is incomplete. You have to download it again to get the complete file. Empty your browser cache, try using another browser, check that your own network connection isn't dropping out, try at a different time of the day.

edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    Hello, everybody! This is not about the downloads from your accounts, this is about the free Hexagon here: http://www.daz3d.com/products/hexagon/hexagon-what-is-hexagon/

I wondered if it might not be something like that.