James 8 for Christian Problem

OK, so I have no idea what just happened. I purchased the new James 8 (https://www.daz3d.com/james-for-christian-8). I downloaded and installed him through install manager. I went into DAZ, and loaded G8M base. And I got a crazy muscular figure show up. I was like, great, what did I do wrong now? Turns out, nothing. I searched through all of the morphs and finally realized James's morphs were all dialed up. Then I did a quick search on DAZ, and realized that James was one of the figures I'd purchased and downloaded this morning. I had never tried to use James or even do anything in DAZ before this started happening.  I tried downloading the DAZ G8M essentials and reinstalling them hoping this would somehow override the new morph, but it didn't. I did finally uninstall James and G8M base appeared as normal. Am I the only lucky one having this problem? 

Jason

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Something was saved wrong with the character, I’d submit a ticket.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

Something was saved wrong with the character, I’d submit a ticket.

I have submitted a ticket but it can’t hurt to have more.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2019

I'll be submitting a ticket, too. With screenshots.

The last time I saw something like this happen, I had created my own G2F shape and saved it as a preset via the File->Save As menu. I don't recall now if it was saved as a Character Preset or Shaping Preset. With Tech Support's help, the only thing I could do was delete my character.
    sad

I've uninstalled James for now.

ETA: Submitted.

Post edited by L'Adair on

BTW, when I submitted my trouble ticket, I included the link to this thread. Anyone reading this who is having the same issue, I hope you will consider leaving a comment. This is an issue that will be present for anyone who installs James for Chris8, though they won't see the effects until they go to work with a G8M figure. And even then, they won't necessarily see that James is causing trouble.

Hopefully Tech Support will read this thread and put a priority on getting this fixed.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Oh, I submitted a ticket too, I thought I'd done something wrong myself last night and tried for an hour to sort it out then gave up. I realised today it wasn't anything I'd done.

This (attached) is the basic G8 load

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 13.17.04.png
    854 x 1494 - 242K
  • AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    L'Adair said:

BTW, when I submitted my trouble ticket, I included the link to this thread. Anyone reading this who is having the same issue, I hope you will consider leaving a comment. This is an issue that will be present for anyone who installs James for Chris8, though they won't see the effects until they go to work with a G8M figure. And even then, they won't necessarily see that James is causing trouble.

Hopefully Tech Support will read this thread and put a priority on getting this fixed.

I only noticed because I knew it wasn't anything I'd done and looked at what was loading, but not before I'd reinstalled G8 every way I could think of!

A quick peek at my Help Desk page shows my ticket hasn't even been opened yet. Perhaps that's because they're already looking into it from a ticket filed earlier than mine…?

(I checked DIM, too, and there isn't an update. Not yet, anyway.)

Got a reponse from Emmalee, (one of my favorites in Customer Service.,) and she's reporting the problem to the "bug trackers." That was almost an hour ago, so I suspect my screenshots and comments are now in the hands of the people who can fix the problem.Woo hoo!

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Just wondering if this was ever corrected for the people reporting it. I bought James, but this problem showed up before I could download him, so I haven't done so yet.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

Hi ticket still notes that the issue is open...and the problem hasn't been resolved.

nemesis10 said:

Hi ticket still notes that the issue is open...and the problem hasn't been resolved.

Nothing on my ticket, either. Eight days and counting since CS responded.

edited January 2019

I went ahead and downloaded him, and he still hasn't been fixed.

I did notice in his readme file list that he's supposed to have a main/controller slider (CTRLJames.duf), and I didn't see it when I either did a search for "James" or looked at the Currently Used section. (Although I didnt check to see if it was hidden; have to try that.) It would be fairly simple to fix if he had that controller -- all you'd need to do would be to slide it back to zero and save the changed morph file. Without it, the question is whether or not any of the other sliders are handled independently, or if they're all controlled by the separate head and body sliders, which I didn't check. (Although, thinking on it, they must be controlled by the separate sliders, because otherwise simply reinstalling the Head and Body Morphs and Starter Essentials would get rid of the problem, and it doesn't.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
    vwrangler said:

I went ahead and downloaded him, and he still hasn't been fixed.

I did notice in his readme file list that he's supposed to have a main/controller slider (CTRLJames.duf), and I didn't see it when I either did a search for "James" or looked at the Currently Used section. (Although I didnt check to see if it was hidden; have to try that.) It would be fairly simple to fix if he had that controller -- all you'd need to do would be to slide it back to zero and save the changed morph file. Without it, the question is whether or not any of the other sliders are handled independently, or if they're all controlled by the separate head and body sliders, which I didn't check. (Although, thinking on it, they must be controlled by the separate sliders, because otherwise simply reinstalling the Head and Body Morphs and Starter Essentials would get rid of the problem, and it doesn't.)

I just checked the trouble ticket, and it now says this has been fixed:

Hi Anita,

This has been fixed. Please install the update.

Thank you,
    Emmalee

The update is in DIM and I'm downloading it now.

edited January 2019

Well ... he no longer "infects" G8M, but it cannot reasonably be said that he works well. He's acting like a solid prop. Normally, you have G8M in the workspace, and you click once to select the figure, and then you click a second time on whatever part you want to select that. Doesn't work with him when you use his actor/character file to put him into the scene. He's got no bones at all.

I don't even know how you DO that!

If you put G8M into the scene, then dial up his shape or use his shape presets, he's fine, but stlil. How on earth do you create an entirely boneless G8M and not notice?

Something that doesn't really matter, but is odd (... well, more odd): the boneless actor/character version of James is two or so "inches" shorter than the version you get if you put G8M into the scene and add his shape after. Wonder why?

Post edited by vwrangler on
    vwrangler said:

Well ... he no longer "infects" G8M, but it cannot reasonably be said that he works well. He's acting like a solid prop. Normally, you have G8M in the workspace, and you click once to select the figure, and then you click a second time on whatever part you want to select that. Doesn't work with him when you use his actor/character file to put him into the scene. He's got no bones at all.

I don't even know how you DO that!

If you put G8M into the scene, then dial up his shape or use his shape presets, he's fine, but stlil. How on earth do you create an entirely boneless G8M and not notice?

Something that doesn't really matter, but is odd (... well, more odd): the boneless actor/character version of James is two or so "inches" shorter than the version you get if you put G8M into the scene and add his shape after. Wonder why?

I'm working on a series of test images for Sydney, Melinda and Alabama at the moment. It won't be too much longer. Then I'll load James and see if I can duplicate the issue. I'll post again within an hour.

edited January 2019

@vwrangler, I'm seeing the same results. Also, it took 17 minutes to load James. For comparison, it took about 45 seconds to load Ry Kian HD.

I'll be updating my trouble ticket with screenshots.

(I had trouble loading James after I'd loaded the base G8M and dialed in the James morphs. I ended up closing DS, reopening and then loading James. I forget to compare heights. I may do that before updating the ticket.)

ETA: I loaded the base and applied James' morph, and then I loaded James. At first glance, spineless James does look shorter, but then I noticed he is also loaded below world center. Hitting Ctrl+D moved him up, (Y Translate: 3.50!) and then both looked to be the same height.

Post edited by L'Adair on

There was another update to James in DIM, dated the 18th. I didn't notice it until today. I just downloaded, installed, and loaded the figure. I switched to the Joint Editor Tool, and verified the bones are there.

I haven't tested anything else, but it looks like James is fixed. I'll report back here if I find anything else that isn't working as expected.

Off to play. I think James has a "date" with Maxx…