Iray Ghost Light render and support thread (Commercial)

1789101113»

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217
    liplin901 said:

What are other essentials like IRAY Ghost light to reduce render times?

Render time is a pretty in-depth topic, and it's very situational. Tips on speeding up outdoor vehicle renders may not necessarily translate to indoor character renders. Render speed advice i would give to comic book artists or animators is not the same advice i would give to product artists. Never the less, my main tips would be the following -

1. Anything lit indirectly will take longer to render, so try to light everything, even if it's minimal.

2. Some shaders are more expensive than others. Metallicity, translucency, SSS and refraction, just to name a few, take longer to calculate. Every step you take away from simple diffuse color, you're adding time, think carefully.

3. Instead of fully visible mesh lights, use point lights with IES profiles, they render faster.

4. This one is kind of obvious, but consider upgrading your GPU. You may already have a pretty hefty card, in which case that's fine. If you're rendering on CPU or a really old card however, it might be time to invest. I have two Titan x's and can still spend half an hour baking a scene.

Other than that, Nvidia have a new deep learning denoiser for Iray. I'm pretty sure it will make it into studio at some point in the near future, so that will be a huge leap for users on lower end hardware. 

Hope that helps!

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited July 2018

Other than that, Nvidia have a new deep learning denoiser for Iray. I'm pretty sure it will make it into studio at some point in the near future, so that will be a huge leap for users on lower end hardware. 

It's in the new beta for people to try

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    3. Instead of fully visible mesh lights, use point lights with IES profiles, they render faster.

I'm curious if there are any IES profiles available?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    nicstt said:

How about this one from Code66: Emission Profile Master?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited April 2019

A post here says that the latest DS 4.11 beta "is going to destroy the Ghost Lights". Is this true? If so, is there an update to fix the problem?

Edit: fixed typo "is" instead of "in".

Post edited by barbult on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,667

Weird, ghost lights seem to be working like they always did here. I did a 3 minture bake here with just a spotlight, then added 3 ghost lights and baked that for 3 minutes.

with ghost.jpg
    700 x 1133 - 717K
    without ghost.jpg
    700 x 1133 - 806K
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    barbult said:

A post here says that the latest DS 4.11 beta "in going to destroy the Ghost Lights". Is this true? If so, is there an update to fix the problem?

I think it means that 4.11 will "destroy" ghostlights that are saved in a scene, not the ability to use ghost lights in new scenes?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2019
    barbult said:

A post here says that the latest DS 4.11 beta "in going to destroy the Ghost Lights". Is this true? If so, is there an update to fix the problem?

I think it means that 4.11 will "destroy" ghostlights that are saved in a scene, not the ability to use ghost lights in new scenes?

I'd like to know where the poster got his information.

Why should the beta "destroy" any mesh, light or not, opaque or nearly transparent? I'll hold off on installing this latest beta until I know what's what, but the statement without any supporting evidence seems less than reliable to me.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,944

It didn't seem to "destroy" mine, whatever that means. As far as I know they use the default iray uber shader so I'm not sure what the new update could do. Maybe if they want to provide some more information.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Well, I installed the latest Beta today, and I can use all my Iray ghost lights, and even scenes I'd saved that included ghost lights.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited April 2019
    nicstt said:

Just saw this post. All the Profiles you will ever need.

https://gumroad.com/l/FXsj

Use this to generate thumbnails showing the light.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/117126/ies-profile-thumbnail-maker/p1

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • My ghost lights have suddenly stopped working (they don't produce any light).

This is after days of them working fine. I've tried deleting and re-creating, reinstalling the package, setting render to defaults. Any ideas?

This is after days of them working fine. I've tried deleting and re-creating, reinstalling the package, setting render to defaults. Any ideas?

The Environment mode is set to something that includes Scene, in the Editor tab or Render Settings?

The Environment mode is set to something that includes Scene, in the Editor tab or Render Settings?

Dome and scene yep. Something very strange is going on.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Are you by any chance using the Timeline and on a frame other than frame 0? I had a problem with the ghost lights from one product not working on frames other than frame 0, but that product has since been updated. Maybe you are experiencing something similar.

Fishtales said:

Just saw this post. All the Profiles you will ever need.

https://gumroad.com/l/FXsj

Use this to generate thumbnails showing the light.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/117126/ies-profile-thumbnail-maker/p1

OMG I hate you so much lol. Started the script at like 6:30, still going 2 hours later haha.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040

I have thousands of profiles too but once done they don't need doing again smiley

edited December 2019

Still going hahaha each one is taking about a second, so there has to be so many!

Woke up and it was still going, 21 hours. I ended up killing the DS before it finished, after it finished the portfolio set.  1.2GB worth of IES, 145,520 Files, 2,426 Folders. I think I am all set. Thanks for linking that haha

Post edited by TheKD on