Help with files

I downloaded some Rendo freebies and got them installed. However, a couple I am having some minor issues with the folders.

1) Bows have layers and layers of folders. See first 2 screenshots. I would like to remove the runtime files from those "deep down" folders and have them in the top 3Dbows folder. I used to do this a lot when I used DS 3A but I haven't tried it since. I haven't tried moving things around in my current content files because I find the DIM and DS 4.x arrangement much more complicated than the DS3 Poser-type structure. If it is still possible to do, this, how do I do it? Or should I just leave things as is?

2) I also got some shaders, which thankfully aren't buried in folder layers, but I don't see the icons like I do for most content. I can find and load them easily enough right-clicking on the folder and selecting Browse To Folder Location. However, I would like to be able to just click on a content icon. Is there a way to make them show up, or a super-simple way to create the icons?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If you can see the Runtime folder in the Content Library you either don't have something installed properly or your library mapped properly.

• That's Poser content, the Runtiem folder needs to merge with the Runtime folder in your content directory then you will see the files in the Content Library under Poser Formats>content library>Figures>3D Bows, Poser Formats>content library>Materials>3D Bows and Poser Formats>content library>Pose>3D Bows

• That's Poser content, the Runtiem folder needs to merge with the Runtime folder in your content directory then you will see the files in the Content Library under Poser Formats>content library>Figures>3D Bows, Poser Formats>content library>Materials>3D Bows and Poser Formats>content library>Pose>3D Bows

Thanks, I was hoping you'd see this, Richard, between dealing with all our "Sale Thing isn't working right!" posts.

Will try merging. I should have thought of that, as I recognized it was PoserPoser file hierarchy, but am recovering from a nasty virus. Mutters to self , "Computers still hate me & the feeling is still mutual."

• edited December 2018

No luck. I ended up deleting all the files and reinstalling, again, with WinRAR. ReadMe fro 3D Bows says, "Installation Instructions: - Extract to your Poser directory.
    - The check box -Use Folder names- or -relative paths- must be checked.
      That way, all files will placed in the correct folder."

So I did.The files are still not showing up under Poser Formats>content library>... I see the runtime in my Daz Formats>content library >Props...

I searched in WinEx (or whatever it's called in Win10)  and found them--1st screenshot

Jestmart--I haven't rearranged either the Poser or DAZ content libraries in D/S; they are exactly the way DIM / D/S 4 set them up, if that is what you were sort of asking. While I got comfortable customizing my runtimes when I was using D/S 3A and Carrara, I haven't tried it with DS4+.

winex 3Dbows.jpg
    1015 x 465 - 83K
    3Dbows.jpg
    336 x 622 - 44K
    3Dbows Ds files.jpg
    384 x 610 - 34K
    Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

"Runtime" should not be under Props (that is a Studio format folder), it needs to be a top level folder of a library folder along side the "data" folder.

• jestmart said:

"Runtime" should not be under Props (that is a Studio format folder), it needs to be a top level folder of a library folder along side the "data" folder.

Okay. I haven't tried with the bow set yet, since I just got SO frustrated, and it seems to have more layers of folders. I will tackle it another day.

BUT, the advice has helped me with some other freebies I was having trouble with. I have been able to find them in WinEx and then, if need be get them where they belong in <my content>. I still can't see them in D/S, for whatever reason. So I use File>Merge in D/S to get them into my scene. Works for now, since most of what I am wanting are props and the few wearables freebies I need for this project, I have gone crazy with Iray shaders.

Thanks! (PS: your "Push buttons, see what happens" sig is pretty much how I deal with computers anyhow)

• Part of your problem may be that the zips often don't start with the stuff that goes in the content directory but have an extra folder containing that so that any auto-extraction will fail (unless you content direcotry has the same name as the top-level folder in the zip, and you extract to its parent directory)..

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yes what Richard said.  You want to drill down your folder until you hit the ones that say data. people, runtime,etc.  If it says content , then click on that until you get to the afformentioned folders. That should help put eveyrthing where it should be.

• edited December 2018

Thanks, Richard & Ice. I'd forgotten that bit.

Edit: I didn't try to extract it again, but I used WinRAR to look at the file structure for the 3DBows> (See below)

1) So drill to the Runtime and extract that where? The Libraries folder in my content folder?

2) I think the Photo Antics>3DBows folders inside the Textures and Geometries folders are a problem? (Sorry I need this simplified that much--been several years since I have done this and never with items I am using in D/S 4.x. Plus, I don't pick up on this stuff easily.)

3DBows >
        Templates
        Runtime>
             Textures>
                  PhotoAntics>
                          3DBows >
                               jpg file
       Libraries>
           Pose
           Materials
           Character
     Geometries >
           PhotoAntics>
                        3DBows >
                             3  obj files

Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  • The Runtime folder goes in your content directory - My Library or whatever you use.

• The Runtime folder goes in your content directory - My Library or whatever you use.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks again.

• 2) I think the Photo Antics>3DBows folders inside the Textures and Geometries folders are a problem?

No, that's what they're supposed to look like. The files you see in your Content tabs inside DAZ|Studio contain links to the files in the subfolders of /Textures/ and /Geometries/ — if you mess with those subfolders, D|S can't find the files any more and you end up with a nice big collection of error messages.

• Thanks to everyone who pitched in to help me with this! I was able to install and find most everything I wanted with the tips. In case someone else is having problems, I just found a couple of good tutorials on unzipping/installing manually, while looking at some of the sites linked in the Freebies subforum. And following them has solved the "Why does DS say I am missing files? I'm sure I unzipped to the right folder/s" issue.

1) Zeddicuss' site has a video tutorial:

https://www.zed3d.com/how-to-install-daz-studio-content/

2) Wilmap's Digital Creations has PDF & word versions of her tutorial (plus some other useful tutorials) here:

https://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

Thanks again. Between you all, and those tutorials, I still have to import/merge/browse to find my freebies sometimes--but I can deal with that.