Lighting up a scene, hdri, dome

ok so im creating a scene that presents a tropical vibe.

I have the prop set a house on the beach type setting and a prety girl. all prety straight forward.

Then i got around the lighting and this is where i got in a bit of a problem.

I tried placing water and using the 'sky setting' in environment settings but the scene only got bigger and bigger and i could not get the result i was looiking for. So i started looking at some hdri files and foud a set that was free to download and also had a reasonable resolution around the 4000x2500 range (not exactly sure).

So i created the dome, loaded the hdri and pressed render to see how it looked. This is what i found:

1. the hdri image was really out of focus (it feels if my dome was to big and it stretched the image... is this correct?)
  2. I did not get the yellowy/orangy colour i was hoping to get (something like this: https://free4kwallpapers.com/uploads/originals/2015/10/01/tropical-beach-sunrise.jpg)
  3. Also is there a tutorial on how to create a sun like light source? I a think that 2 can be fixed by 3 but it makes me wonder what the purpose is of hdri as it should also control the light.

Am I in error in my assumptions? Is there a tutorial that will help me setting this up? So far i have been mostly playing with indoor settings and using spotlights/softlight etc. But i want to delve in more into the environmentlights to create some beautifull outdoor scenes.

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• What do you mean by creating the dome? In Iray HDRIs are loaded as environment maps in Render Settings, they don't come in as actual models.

• What do you mean by creating the dome? In Iray HDRIs are loaded as environment maps in Render Settings, they don't come in as actual models.

When you look at the image you see what i mean.

I also uploaded the settings The image is loaded in the environmentmap field.

tropical test.png
    800 x 640 - 820K
    tropical test.png
    800 x 640 - 820K
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    442 x 788 - 74K
  • AalaAala Posts: 140
    edited December 2018

My first guess is that the HDRI you loaded is pretty bad. Is it a free one? Where did you get it?

EDIT: Also, you have your camera spotlight on, creating that fake flashlight feeling.

Post edited by Aala on
  • Aala said:

My first guess is that the HDRI you loaded is pretty bad. Is it a free one? Where did you get it?

EDIT: Also, you have your camera spotlight on, creating that fake flashlight feeling.

https://cgi.tutsplus.com/articles/freebie-8-awesome-ocean-hdris--cg-5684

Its 3286x1643 pixels.

• AalaAala Posts: 140

Yeah, that's pretty bad. There's barely any dynamic range in there, and a good HDRI should be at least 8k. Try HDRI haven instead.

• Ok i will do that. Thanks

• Used one from HDRI Haven and it does look a lo sharper however i was looking more for teh Goldden hour effect. 

However i will keep the resolution in mind when i look for hdri files.

tropical test 2.png
    800 x 640 - 862K