mc6 or pz2?

Keeping in mind I'm using DS 4.7, I sometimes have duplicate options in the poser library interface, which is what I use most often. Only one or two wouldn't be an issue, but when every bit of hard drive space is precious right now, removing unnecessary duplicate files helps, even if just marginally, plus, I can stop trying to remember which one to use. What should I keep? The .mc6 files or the .pz2 when I have both?

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I'm pretty sure that DS can't read .mc6 files (but it can read .mt5 single material files). However, because I'm not completely certain, it's better if you let someone chime in who knows for sure. 

Laurie

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I'm pretty sure those mc6 / pz2 files are miniscule as they don't contain the actual geometry or actual materials but just are recipes on which geometries & materials to load for the particular product. If you have to I think the pz2 is the newer version so keep it & delete the mc6 but I'd google to make sure pz2 was the newer version.

Instead, if you need disk space, just go to your DIM & for every product that has both a DAZ version & Poser version - 3DU's Toon Rabitt for example, and remove the Poser version if you don't use Poser the program. You'll save much more space that way. 

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276
    AllenArt said:

I'm pretty sure that DS can't read .mc6 files (but it can read .mt5 single material files). However, because I'm not completely certain, it's better if you let someone chime in who knows for sure. 

Laurie

It can't read mt5, but can read some/most mc6. But there are free scripts that convert mt5/mc6 to pz2 which I use if I find mt5 or a mc6 that can't be read. You can manually convert them to pz2 as well.

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091

I thought DS could read mc6 files. Pz2's were poser pose files were an old workaround, so mc6's should be newer.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

mc6 is for the poser meterial room poser 6 and up

mc6 is the same as the pz2, we just change the hearder in the file and rename it pz2

for convenience i save the pz2 versions, ds and carrara, and poser can all read the pz2.version.

• DS can now read MC6 files, I can't recall if that was true of 4.7. However, it still won't use the Shader Tree section of the file, only the basic Poser 4 style settings.

3WC said:

I thought DS could read mc6 files. Pz2's were poser pose files were an old workaround, so mc6's should be newer.

Told ya I didn't know for sure....lol. Sorry for the confusion to the OP ;)

Laurie

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I use the poser content folder more than the daz content folder because it's easier for me to find things, especially since not all of my content is originally for daz. Is it as simple as manually changing the file extension from .mc6 to pz2?

edited December 2018

I use the poser content folder more than the daz content folder because it's easier for me to find things, especially since not all of my content is originally for daz. Is it as simple as manually changing the file extension from .mc6 to pz2?

There's a line you have to change in the file to change from one to the other. The first line after the version number. One is "figure" (.pz2) and one is "mtlCollection" (.mc6). The rest looks to be pretty much the same in both, so just changing the file extension will not change what the file thinks it is ;).

If the .mc6 you want to change is for a prop, replace "mtlCollection" with "actor". If the .mc6 is for a figure, like V4, then change "mtlCollection" to "figure".

I'm sure on the above. It's been awhile, but I've changed a LOT of Poser files in my day ;).

Laurie

pz2.JPG
    427 x 251 - 23K
    mc6.JPG
    476 x 293 - 27K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
    AllenArt said:

There's a line you have to change in the file to change from one to the other. The first line after the version number. One is "figure" (.pz2) and one is "mtlCollection" (.mc6). The rest looks to be pretty much the same in both, so just changing the file extension will not change what the file thinks it is ;).

If the .mc6 you want to change is for a prop, replace "mtlCollection" with "actor". If the .mc6 is for a figure, like V4, then change "mtlCollection" to "figure".

I'm sure on the above. It's been awhile, but I've changed a LOT of Poser files in my day ;).

Laurie

Since you obviously do this for a reason, having done it so often, what's the advantage or benefit to changing poser files to ds files, especially when both were provided in the same poser content folder? My initial reasoning for the questiion was to get rid of any extra little files that I either don't need or forget which one is better, so just wanted one to choose, so I don't choose wrongly, and to save those tiny bits of space, since everything adds up between bought and free content from have a dozen sources over the last decade. 

I personally wasn't changing Poser files to DS files. At the time, I was changing .pz2 files to material collection files (.mc6)....lol Over the decades that pose folder got REAL crowded ;).

My advice would be that if you still intend to use Poser, keep them as Poser files since DS can read them too but Poser can only read Poser files (though DS cannot read them completely...just the basic reflection, refraction, specular and diffuse. As Richard said above, either .pz2 or .mc6 will do for DS.

Laurie

I can attest to that. I've had to develop my own filing system just so I can find what I want when I want. The poses file is the largest file by far. Also why it's so easy to get duplicates and really start sucking up space.