What To Do When Low On Space

Okay. I love DAZ Studio, and have snatched up quite a few goodies for it. But...well, my computer only has so much memory. So any suggestions as to what to do when my stable of props and characters gets too big for my computer's britches? Should I transfer everything to an external hard drive or what?

Comments

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Get an external drive. Don't forget to change the Install Path in DIM and the Content Managment path in Studio.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Get an external drive AND an even bigger backup drive. You will eventually need to replace your computer, and moving a drive is easier than re-installing all your content, because by then you'll have a lot more content, too. Make sure you back up everything on a regular basis (I do it every two weeks now, 1.13 Tb of content at the last backup, and I keep the previous month's data as a backup to the current backup), 

Consider getting an unterruptable power supply in the future, as it doesn't take much of a power surge to fry a computer, which happened to me earlier this year, and it took me over a month to restore things.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

Get a couple of BIG external drives.  They're really cheap right now, with a 10 TB Western Digital for under $200 on Amazon today and 8 TBs starting at $139.00 US.  I just moved up to a pair of 6 TBs and I'm already considering moving up again...

• maybe you should do some house cleaning so to speak by uninstalling programs you no longer use ?

• Get an external drive AND an even bigger backup drive. You will eventually need to replace your computer, and moving a drive is easier than re-installing all your content, because by then you'll have a lot more content, too. Make sure you back up everything on a regular basis (I do it every two weeks now, 1.13 Tb of content at the last backup, and I keep the previous month's data as a backup to the current backup), 

Consider getting an unterruptable power supply in the future, as it doesn't take much of a power surge to fry a computer, which happened to me earlier this year, and it took me over a month to restore things.

I plan on getting a new computer after the first of the year and actually look forward to re-installing both daz and poser because my libraries are such a mess.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

If you use DIM, check your installs folder. The content in the folder takes up a lot of room. If that’s the case, just moving the folder content should open up room. Some people delete those install packages. I’m not an expert though so you may want to see what others say. 

• Cybersox said:

Get a couple of BIG external drives.  They're really cheap right now, with a 10 TB Western Digital for under $200 on Amazon today and 8 TBs starting at $139.00 US.  I just moved up to a pair of 6 TBs and I'm already considering moving up again...

I second the get a couple of BIG external hard drives.  6 TB and 8 TB sizes seem to be the sweet spot on pricing at least for Seagate which I was pricing.  I just bought myself a new 8 TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub to go with my 6 TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub.   Amazon had the best pricing for what I bought.  BTW, Hubs are nice because you get the extra USB ports. :) 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

8TB WesternDigital Gold drive!  Or their 12TB version...

• Get an external drive AND an even bigger backup drive. You will eventually need to replace your computer, and moving a drive is easier than re-installing all your content, because by then you'll have a lot more content, too. Make sure you back up everything on a regular basis (I do it every two weeks now, 1.13 Tb of content at the last backup, and I keep the previous month's data as a backup to the current backup), 

Well, one of the things I did was get a subscription to Carbonite for online backing up of my files. Just in case.