W10 update 1809 may "break" Studio

frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
edited December 2018 in The Commons

The latest Windows 10 update, version 1809, may cause Studio to stop working, so be careful.

I let Windows update to this latest version, and re-started my PC, expecting problems, as usual after any W10 update, and sure enough, OpenCL stopped working (used by dForce). So I updated my Nvidia driver (for the GTX1080), and restarted the PC, only to find Studio wouldn't even open. Next thing I knew, the PC froze, so I re-booted again, but now, instead of a login screen, the screen is grey, with a mouse cursor, and nothing else, while the CPU leds are flashing like crazy (for the last ten minutes and counting).

I'm writing this post from my laptop, which is still using W10 version 1803. If things change, I'll update the posts, though I'll be away from home for the next few hours.

Post edited by frankrblow on

Comments

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

After several attempts to boot up my PC after the W10 update, it looks like I'll have to reinstall Windows, because I'm getting no further than a grey screen plus a mouse cursor (which can move around the screen). Unfortunately, I'll be busy in the real world for most of the rest of today, so I don't know when I'll get the PC back up.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

...are you on Home or Pro Edition?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Use a restore point

It should take you back 5 days depending on how often it saves a restore point.

If you are on Win10 Pro, you can select the business branch for updates and postpone updates for a period of time.

Pro is honestly worth it, my Win10 Pro is still on 1703 but gets all the security updates.

Kyoto Kid: Windows 10 Home, is what I use for the PC and the laptop. 

Mattymanx: I can't get access to restore point, at least not yet. I'm about to go out the door, but I'll be trying a couple of alternatives later (W10 boot drives)

This is very frustrating, because six months ago or so, my PC crashed, and I needed to replace the hard drive and power supply after a power surge. At least now I have multiple data backups and an UPS... But Microsoft still finds new ways of stuffing up computers devil

• My suspicion would be an issue with the reinstallation of the nVidia driver.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 2018

Kyoto Kid: Windows 10 Home, is what I use for the PC and the laptop. 

Mattymanx: I can't get access to restore point, at least not yet. I'm about to go out the door, but I'll be trying a couple of alternatives later (W10 boot drives)

This is very frustrating, because six months ago or so, my PC crashed, and I needed to replace the hard drive and power supply after a power surge. At least now I have multiple data backups and an UPS... But Microsoft still finds new ways of stuffing up computers devil

...that is why for the slight bit extra it may cost (particularly in a new build) I suggest people should select the W10 Pro option for the OS as it allows you to defer updating (I believe) for soemthing like 60 or 90 days allowing for bug fixes as well as gives ytou more control over cinfiguration (like fully disabling features/fluff you don't want). 

The 1809 update caused serious issues for quite a number users. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:
    The 1809 update caused serious issues for quite a number users. 

The reproted issue affected users who had moved their docuemnts (or other) foldrs but still had files in both the old and the new location - the problem was identified and fixed before the update was reissued.

Well, after all that, I got home, plugged one of my W10 boot drives (USB) in, and the PC started after a longer than usual boot time, but after that it was able to reboot normally (without external boot drives). Which means it either fixed itself or Windows just needed a nap. The Nvidia drivers installed fine, and Studio works, including dForce.

And that's a really good hint for me to create a new restore point. Sorry for the fuss, but this sort of annoyance is all to common with Windows.

• joseftjoseft Posts: 310

I am so glad i have always gone with pro versions of windows. Been able to avoid all the update issues so far

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

I just update Windows 10 pro to 1809 last week..No problem until now except i have to update my Gforce GTX 660 driver for simulation  works ok with DAZStudio 4,10

• 1809 installed on my laptop last night.  DIM and DAZ became unresponsive.  A little checking showed that they had been removed from the list of allowed apps.  Manually putting them back on the list seems to have fixed the problem.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,426
    Cdpierson said:

1809 installed on my laptop last night.  DIM and DAZ became unresponsive.  A little checking showed that they had been removed from the list of allowed apps.  Manually putting them back on the list seems to have fixed the problem.

i moved to Windows Defender only a few weeks ago. It stops a lot of stuff, especially during installation. I don;t like it at all ... plus the notices when it blocks is not readable, a box with cut off words, so not even possible to know what app or file is eing blocked. Some of the install sequences are files not even seen but unpacked during installation. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I stopped allowing windows to update after last year it broke my Studio.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

I updated my Win10 installation last night. DAZ Studio still works fine but my front audio port stopped working. sad

Microsoft really can't release an update without breaking something else.

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480
    Updated W10 Pro, updated all drivers (just precaution) All good, Studio running and rendering as before
  • Windows 10 pro here, all updated.  Daz works fine, including D-force