Christmas Tree in Daz Studio Format - should work now

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited December 2018 in Freebies
Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• When I try to load it DS responds:

Some assets needed to load the file were missing. The content may not work as expected. The following files could not be found:

data/diomede/xmas tree test/xmas tree test 01/christmas tree 01.dsf

and I get a big grey box in the scene.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you for trying.  I obviously did something wrong.  I will try again tomorrow and post a fresh file.  I think I need to save the figure/prop asset to the same file structure as the working files.

• it will have files in Data and textures should really be under Runtime textures your folder too

it's often easier to create a new empty directory and add it to DS to save to

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,604
    edited December 2018

here's the files and folders for a simple cube, since the texture image i applied is in my i:\ folder, people receiving this would not get the texture

so i should have placed the texture image in "/Runtime/textures/mcasual/mytexture.jpg",

personally i use my mcjPackager script to gather my Poser Prop files and folders, but it works for daz assets

in my cube-asset case i would set the base folder as C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library

then i would add the 4 files png duf dsf dsf and my texture image .jpg to the list of files to be packaged

the script creates a batch file, you run the batch file and all the files and folders involved are copied into a folder of your choice

then you zip the files and folders in that folder and tell your clients to unzip the zip in their Daz Format Content Folder

not too hard to figure  ... here : https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcjpackager

Not sure if I formatted this correctly for sharing.  Can someone try opening?

See attached.

thefolders.jpg
    1362 x 330 - 83K
    ssset.jpg
    662 x 524 - 47K
    Post edited by mCasual on
  • Thank you for trying.  I obviously did something wrong.  I will try again tomorrow and post a fresh file.  I think I need to save the figure/prop asset to the same file structure as the working files.

Note that the saved .duf asset file is only part of the necessary data. If you have textures applied to the object (you did store and load them from a subfolder of /Runtime/Textures/ I hope) they must also be included in the .zip along with the object mesh /data/ files created when you saved the asset file. Without these extra files, in the proper folders, the .duf file on its own is useless — it doesn't contain the textures and data files, it includes links pointing to them. That's why the .duf file is so small.

edited December 2018

Try again

Reload please - free Christmas Tree in Daz Studio format.  Please let me know if it installs and loads in Studio.

https://sharecg.com/v/92762/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Christmas-Tree-Daz-Studio-format-Reload

http

test render xmas tree.png
    1333 x 2000 - 2M
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 91
    edited December 2018

Now all the necessary parts are there and it loads and renders fine. You packed it up a bit wrong though - in the folder with the name "content" is the Props folder only. Either put both the "data" and the "Runtime" folders inside "content" too or get rid of it. "Props", "data" and "Runtime" should all be in the same folder.

Edited for spelling.

Post edited by marianner on

Oh, OK.  Getting closer.  yes   Studio created the data folder when I saved the tree as a figure/prop asset, so I'm doing something wrong before that.  

• Maybe I'm not good at expressing what I mean. The data folder should be there. Take a look inside one of the zip files that you download with DIM. You'll se a Contents folder, and inside it are usuallg a data folder, a Runtime folder and then one or more folders for the files that show up in the library. That could be a People, Environment, Props, or Presets for instance.

Yet another try.  Please let me know if this installs and loads correctly.

https://sharecg.com/v/92762/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Christmas-Tree-Daz-Studio-format-Reload

• Now it is all correct as far as I can see. I deleted all the old files and installed the new ones and the tree loaded and rendered fine. Thank you!

Great - thank you @marianner for your patience and your help!

I have a couple of other freebies in the works.  I can easily make decorations for this tree, in addition to a couple of other ideas that I have in mind.  Studio does things a little differently from my modeler, so I apologize for the file sze.  My modeler uses something similar to Ultrascatter for the needles, but Studio is using a converted mesh, so that drives up the file size. I'm pretty sure with some adjustments I can reduce future efforts about 40%, but I may lose the UVs.  Have to see about that.  I'm still not used to Studio, so people may want to replace the bark and needle shaders with generic.  

Enjoy

• I don't know very much about Studio either - I have been using only Poser until recently.
    Good luck with your modelling!

• Thank you for your generousity and for not giving up on getting it right...lol Good job, look forward to the others items you mentioned.

edited December 2018

You are welcome.

Am about to start the decorations.  If I was better at Studio, I'm sure I could include lights, but I think I will stick with tinsel and spherical-type ornaments.  Before I do, has anyone had any trouble loading?  It loads in Studio fine for me, but my modeling approach was to convert the replicated branches/leaves to obj.  That increased the file size much higher in Studio compared to my modeler.  Now when I load the Studio DUF back in my original program it really bogs down.   Not a problem, I can create the decorations around my base plant, but I do want it to be useful to people when it is converted to Studio. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,686

Coolio!   I have lights somewhere but I wish I knew how to easily pose them around the branches.

• Coolio!   I have lights somewhere but I wish I knew how to easily pose them around the branches.

If it's the set that came in a previous Christmas Freebie offer, IIRC they're an Easypose string of lights. Set one end at the top or bottom of the tree, then go twirlywhirly round and round.

edited December 2018

Here is a quick update.  I created the tinsel.  Feel free to make suggestions.  Will probably create separate loadable props for the star and ornaments.  I have not converted to Daz Studio format yet.  However, if you have Carrara, you can get this iteration with just the tree and tinsel.

https://sharecg.com/v/92793/view/5/3D-Model/Xmas-Tree-with-Tinsel-Carrara-Format

Suggestions welcome.

aa06 tinsel tree testrender.jpg
    500 x 500 - 33K
  • From what I see in the image, it looks great, can't wait for the Daz version.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,552

From what I see in the image, it looks great, can't wait for the Daz version.

Agreed, nice work!