Whats is the best 3d software to use with Daz

I'm trying to create an scene in cinema 4D 9 but, when exportig, all the objects creates does not import fine into Daz Studio. I need to create a irregular window with a boolean operation and i'm going crazy to find a software that real works fine with Daz for exporting fbx or obj... I've tried hexagon but i the way to round corners of a rectange shape is too messy (all this software is)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• You probably just need to tidy up the mesh after the Boolean operation - that's likely to be true in any modeller, Booleans are very prone to leaving n-gons (polygons with more than four vertices), concave polygons (where one vertex is inside the area defined by the others, like a chevron shape), and long, thin triangles.

• I've cleaned the boolean mesh and the other mesh are simple cubes. What i don't understand is that, in the same scene, there is a bed that i've imported and that's the only object that is exported fine. I think Daz Studio needs more work in the compatibilty with popular formats like 3ds or lwo so we can use some objects in our scenes that is not always available at the daz store.

• What is the problem you are seeing?

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

It may be a problem with the way you export / import. There are tons of ways you can export and import something. In my experience there is nothing wrong with the import tool of DAZ. What are the settings you are using? And like Richard, what is the exact problem (screenshots help!)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877

I'm trying to create an scene in cinema 4D 9 but, when exportig, all the objects creates does not import fine into Daz Studio. I need to create a irregular window with a boolean operation and i'm going crazy to find a software that real works fine with Daz for exporting fbx or obj... I've tried hexagon but i the way to round corners of a rectange shape is too messy (all this software is)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

As a content creator here at Daz I can understand how difficult it can be at times.

Could you please provide some details as to what settings you are using when exporting and importing?  Also could you please show what the mesh looks like and could you please explain what the actual issue is in Daz Studio that is troubling you? 

Thank you

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    edited November 2018

Hi. It is some time that I don't play with daz but I can remember that it only imported uv-mapped models having a texture. So if your exported model doesn't have a uv-map and/or a texture it can't be imported in daz. May be that's your issue.

Also the obj importer had problems reading a path with spaces. So be sure that in the path for textures there are no spaces. I don't know if this issue is fixed in 4.10.

Post edited by Padone on
  • Thant's is what i have in Cinema and what i get when i export in FBX or OBJ and import into DAZ. As you can see, the objects created in Cinema disappears... I can't believe there is no a way to create a simple window like that in have it in Daz

sec_1_46.jpg
    1427 x 773 - 122K
    sec_1_47.jpg
    269 x 294 - 23K
    sec_1_48.jpg
    276 x 225 - 8K
    sec_1_49.jpg
    1765 x 990 - 275K
  • You may need to collapse/bake the Boolean objects before export.

• You may need to collapse/bake the Boolean objects before export.

I've collapses everything and the Daz Studio still loads only the bed... i can't understand but i'm still thing that the daz importer is too bad sad I can't do the scene I want just for that window in th rear... Maybe someday DAZ would include booleans or give a real solution to modeling with their products (not heaxagon)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

One, have you actually tried to export/import the window as a single separate object?

Two, are you certain it is not just invisible for some reason?

Three, C4D obj exporter is rubbish. Use Riptide. https://skinprops.com/riptide.php

• To locate the problem you can try something else.

Try to import the exported OBJ into some other 3D software and see if it works there (Hexagon,Blender whatever), if it doesn't work there either something is wrong with your export.

Try to import the OBJ back into C4D and see if that works.

(And yes, stay away from the built in C4D OBJ import/export it is close to useless, get a plugin instead).

• In your third screenshot it looks like you have some objects imported, I guess they just don't appear in the viewport.

Had that too, select some of those object(s) from the Scene pane and have a look at the Surface pane. If not already switch to the Edit page, then select a surface and search for an Opacity slider in the shader settings. It can happen that the Opacity is turned down to zero with an object import by an OBJ file because the material settings get read in wrong (due to the difference between "transparency" : 0 = Visible and "opacity" : 0 = Invisible).

Another issue could be ngons I'm shure Daz Studio can't display those.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Are all your materials properly named in Cinema?

The exporter seems to get material zones from the material names and not from the poly selections.
    Objects I make with multiple material zones but no materials applied, import as invisible!

(This won't help you but FBX exported from R18 works almost perfectly) laugh

• Finally I was able to load the model in Daz studio. First exporting the individual obj with Riptide and loading in Hexagon, the sending to Daz Studio. The obj import fine in Hexagon so is Daz studio wich has no import capabilities.

To locate the problem you can try something else.

Try to import the exported OBJ into some other 3D software and see if it works there (Hexagon,Blender whatever), if it doesn't work there either something is wrong with your export.

Try to import the OBJ back into C4D and see if that works.

(And yes, stay away from the built in C4D OBJ import/export it is close to useless, get a plugin instead).

• If you are willing please post the OBJ, wthout the bed part if that isn't needed to show the issue.