Video Card Suggestions

edited November 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

Would anyone suggest some new cards that speed things up? Some of the newer nVidia really de-emphasis the CUDA core spec.  Does this mean newer cards won'y operate with Daz Studio? I have a 2016 Titan Z thta seem to be getting slower with each new product.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Would anyone suggest some new cards that speed things up? Some of the newer nVidia really de-emphasis the CUDA core spec.  Does this mean newer cards won'y operate with Daz Studio? I have a 2016 Titan Z thta seem to be getting slower with each new product.

Currently all the non-GeForce cards available are know to work with DS 4.11, the Public Beta - the rlease build, 4.10.0.123 does not support the 20x0 series. People have used Quadro cards, and Titans, but I'm not sure how widely tested (and soemone with a Titan V was having issues).

• I am also in the same predicament, but without render issues.

Whenever I try to render a big city scene, it has to load thousands of images, resulting in many minutes delay before an image or video starts to render.

I realize that certain video cards will help solve the problem, and for that I am considering purchasing a new video card for my computer in the new year (possibly by April), but I'd like to ask, what types of video cards will work with Version 4.10?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Any GTX 10 series and prior pretty much; if you want to include Iray in that then 7, 9 and 10 series cards with more ram and cuda cards being a requirement.

Personally I think the minimum recommended should be 6GB; less than 6GB of ram on a card is frustrating, even more so than 6; Daz iirc recommend a minimum of 4GB.

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751
    edited November 2018

I would strongly recommend you buy a 20xx series card.  2070 is OK (I bought the Armor).  Not because it's particularly useful right now in terms of its RT capability but because when NVIDIA release Optix 5.2, the RT cores will be supported and your performance in ray tracing will go through the roof (after the appropriate modifications in Daz of course).  Optix 5.1 uses CUDA to do its BVH (bounding volume hierarchy) traversal.  5.2 will use the RT cores, which are designed for that specific purpose.  You can expect the 2070 to do this around 5 x faster than the equivalent 1080 Ti can do it now, though it has only 8Gb of RAM whereas the Ti has 11. 

Quadro would be way too expensive I think (for me).  But if you're a baller...

Post edited by Robinson on
  • Belatedly moved to Daz Studio Discussion as it is not a Product Suggestion

• I'm looking at the 2080 Ti.  Is this a good card for Daz Studio?  Does Overclocking help anything? Are there any known issues with this card?  Are there any cards in this price range better?  Should you take the next step up, or take a step down because this card isn't worth it?

Thanks for the opinions and advice.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487402&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814487402&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58HL58XToxCrh8kLOnYmmDysDDnVAW95scCCKl-wq_sKg026xtZGjxAaAtfFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• I'm looking at the 2080 Ti.  Is this a good card for Daz Studio?  Does Overclocking help anything? Are there any known issues with this card?  Are there any cards in this price range better?  Should you take the next step up, or take a step down because this card isn't worth it?

Thanks for the opinions and advice.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487402&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814487402&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6JjgBRDbARIsANfu58HL58XToxCrh8kLOnYmmDysDDnVAW95scCCKl-wq_sKg026xtZGjxAaAtfFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What are you using now, and how long are your renders taking? How often does your GPU drop out due to memory limits?

• I am using a three year old Titan Z.  Two characters with hair and clothes and no scene can render in under 10 minutes or take 30.  Sometimes it shows that my cards are rendering, but after several renders it slows. Closeups render slower.  Background scenes of most new things take 30-45 minutes. I usually render people and backkgrounds separately and combine in Photoshop. If I render two people and a scene, it can take two hours, and it shows that my cards are in use rendering.  I reboot quite a bit.

Trying to judge how much faster a new card will be.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited December 2018

It's all about the CUDA cores and MEMORY, (currently). RTX and VOLTA {Tensor cores}, are not a factor in IRAY, within Daz, yet. (However, they will/should be, soon-ish... I have been waiting a year for that to be a factor in rendering here. But Daz is quite a few versions behind in the IRAY version chain, at the moment.)

If you suddenly notice that a render is taking longer than expected, it may be that Daz has not correctly "released memory" in the card. You just finally filled it up with "junk" from prior renders. That causes it to fail (out of memory), and fallback to CPU rendering. Seen in the LOGS. The BETA does this constantly on Titan-X, Titan-Xp, Titan-XP and Titan-V. Less often with 4.10, but it still happens, at times. (The BETA will also "lose your cards", at times. Leaving you with only ONE that can render, or NONE. A restart is required for Daz, to get them back.)

I am unsure of the specific issue, but it seems to be something to do with the threading-agent and the IRAY stream having a miscommunication. The program/dll that is managing the actual rendering seems to hang-up, but Daz (the core program), seems to think it is "ready for a new render", and will just throw more data at the card which is not actually "ready" yet. Could be a video-driver issue, or an IRAY issue or a Daz issue.

Only solution is to exit Daz, check your task-manager and look for the "other" Daz program. (That is the one sitting in purgatory, saying "I'm ready", or it is saying, "I'm not ready", and Daz is just ignoring it.) Given time, it will eventually die. But killing it will "free your GPU memory", almost instantly. Then you can restart Daz for a few more renderings, before it locks-up again.

Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • Hey thanks.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger and bought a 2080 Ti today which I plan to stack with my Titan Z.  It will arrive next week.  I'll let you know how it works.Sounds like it will solve some, but not all problems.

• Well My 2080 Ti just arrived and I had my computyer shop install it.  DS is seeing the new card, but for some reason it won't render with it.  It will still render with my Titan Z and my CPU, but not my new card. Meanwhile, it will do dForce calculations with the 2080 Ti (Lightning fast.)

Any suggestions?  I have submitted a help ticket.  But that can take days to respond sometimes.  Are there any known issues with the nVidia RTX 2080 Ti and DS?

Daz004893.png
    511 x 697 - 48K
    snap004897.png
    1713 x 693 - 674K
  • That's DS 4.10 - you need to be using the 4.11 Public Beta to render to the 20x0 cards.

• do you really need Optix Prime Acceletarion? when you have a ton of hefty cards?

btw, why do you have CPU checked?