dForce Surface Adjuster

I've just discovered this menu by right-clicking the Surfaces Tab and selecting dForce Surface Adjuster. I now have two probelms:

1. Does it do anything? I set "Silkier" to a value (such as 3) and then open the menu a moment later and the value is back at 0.

2. If, somehow, it does work, is there a way to save the settings? Because of the problem described above, I have no idea whether I need to set the adjustment again after every "Clear Simulation".

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

You will see the changes in the individual simulation surface settings, like bend stiffness, etc. The changes in the surface adjuster are relative to whatever the current settings are, so each time you open it, the changes you make are relative to the settings at that time (i.e.. cumulative).

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    barbult said:

You will see the changes in the individual simulation surface settings, like bend stiffness, etc. The changes in the surface adjuster are relative to whatever the current settings are, so each time you open it, the changes you make are relative to the settings at that time (i.e.. cumulative).

Thanks - I did wonder about the individual settings but didn't take note of them between tries. Do the settings get saved with the scene (or, better, with a sub-scene)? Or is there a way to keep them?

Yes, I they will be saved by both a scene and scene subset. You can save a Materials preset, too.

Good. Thanks.

One other issue at the moment: freeze doesn't seem to work for everything. I have a scene with some clothing and a simple blanket. I have the clothing draped nicely but need to move the blanket in several successive scenes. So I thought I could just freeze the clothing and run the dForce simulation on the blanket but, as soon as I click clear between simulations, the clothing resets too which is what I was trying to avoid.

edited November 2018

Clearing simulation data will unfreeze everything, but you can clear just selected items. I **think** that will leave the frozen items frozen, but I have no proof. Even when a simulation is frozen, it moves through the motions of the simulation again when I simulate again. I **think** it is just repeating the remembered steps, but that could be wishful thinking.

Screenshot 2018-11-21 22.09.45.png
    1004 x 264 - 35K
    Post edited by barbult on

Oh wow - I would never have found that little goodie. Thanks - I'll give it a whirl.

barbult said:

Clearing simulation data will unfreeze everything, but you can clear just selected items. I **think** that will leave the frozen items frozen, but I have no proof. Even when a simulation is frozen, it moves through the motions of the simulation again when I simulate again. I **think** it is just repeating the remembered steps, but that could be wishful thinking.

I guess there is no option for simulate ONLY selected item?

You can control what objects are seen by simulation in the Parameters pane in the Display section. Also, if you make an object invisible by clicking the eye, it is not visible to simulation. You can control what surfaces are seen by simulation in the Surfaces pane. I don't know what happens if you simulate and item, freeze it, and then set it to not be visible in simulation afterward.  You could experiment.

barbult said:

You can control what objects are seen by simulation in the Parameters pane in the Display section. Also, if you make an object invisible by clicking the eye, it is not visible to simulation. You can control what surfaces are seen by simulation in the Surfaces pane. I don't know what happens if you simulate and item, freeze it, and then set it to not be visible in simulation afterward.  You could experiment.

Yep - I am experimenting right now but you have been a great help, thanks again. I still think a specific "Simulate Selected Item" would be a huge plus for dForce.

Submit a help request for a product suggestion.
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557

About the dForce Surface Adjuster... I'm running 4.10.0.123, 64 bit, when I right click on a surfaces tab for a dforce clothing, all I get are expand-collapse-lock-hidden... no dForce Surface Adjuster.

Is there some specific step that needs to done to get that option to appear?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Scroll down to the bottom of the surface pane!

• nowefg said:

About the dForce Surface Adjuster... I'm running 4.10.0.123, 64 bit, when I right click on a surfaces tab for a dforce clothing, all I get are expand-collapse-lock-hidden... no dForce Surface Adjuster.

Is there some specific step that needs to done to get that option to appear?

I suspect you are in the wrong place, please post a screen shot. The tab you click on is the tab-shaped one labelled Srfaces, you don't right-click on an entry in the pane (which used to be called a tab), and you can reach the same menu by (left-)clicking on the lined button in the pane's top corner - it sounds as if you are right-clicking on a property, or even in a group or scene list. If you don't have the command when you are in the right menu you need to use Window>Workspace>Update and Merge Menus.