Garibaldi Express now free....because too old....

2»

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833

As Richard says, it doesn't matter what morphs you use or how extreme they are. If the figure is built on G3F then the G3F collapsed UV set will work for the purposes of Garibaldi.

Young, old, short, tall - it doesn't matter. If it's G3F then the original collaped UV set is all you need for Garibaldi.

You may need a differnt UV set for extreme shapes due to texture stretching but that has nothing to do with creating Garibaldi hair or styling it on your figure.

Also, keep in mind that Garibaldi only works properly in the default 3dl render engine. If you want to use it in other render engines then that is a whole other level of frustration.

Hopefully, Wowie or Kettu will figure out hat to make it work properly in scripted render - then I, for one, will be a very happy camper.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited November 2018

I still don't get this, totally new to Garibaldi. Will it create conforming hair or is it 100% static, meaning you can create a hair prop for a certain pose, move a limb and you'll need to create a new hair? Meaning can you use it for animation?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • I still don't get this, totally new to Garibaldi. Will it create conforming hair or is it 100% static, meaning you can create a hair prop for a certain pose, move a limb and you'll need to create a new hair? Meaning can you use it for animation?

Curves aren't rigged - not sure DS can rig curves at all; LAMH had some developments in that direction but stalled.

In theory, you can export OBJ and rig it for animation - but LAMH "fibermesh" export is way easier to make look good than Garibaldi obj export (IIRC it was only put in by request). And, of course, the resulting OBJ is going to be huge.

Another theory may be restyling the hair according to the animation - but I don't know if DS can tween it or if you need to restyle per frame. Maybe someone with more experience can help? I honestly don't remember anything concerning animation from the official thread... but that's just me. 

I still don't get this, totally new to Garibaldi. Will it create conforming hair or is it 100% static, meaning you can create a hair prop for a certain pose, move a limb and you'll need to create a new hair? Meaning can you use it for animation?

Curves aren't rigged - not sure DS can rig curves at all; LAMH had some developments in that direction but stalled.

In theory, you can export OBJ and rig it for animation - but LAMH "fibermesh" export is way easier to make look good than Garibaldi obj export (IIRC it was only put in by request). And, of course, the resulting OBJ is going to be huge.

Another theory may be restyling the hair according to the animation - but I don't know if DS can tween it or if you need to restyle per frame. Maybe someone with more experience can help? I honestly don't remember anything concerning animation from the official thread... but that's just me. 

Ok tks Kettu, well it's still very useful, (and free) so nema problema;)

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited November 2018

Another thing you can do for hair that needs to go on a person is to think outside the box. :) I was creating an image of a fantasy character for a friend. She wanted the demonlike character to have thick fur from her neck and across the tops of her shoulders, but especially down her chest in a 'V' shape. After struggling some with getting it to work right directly on the character, I hit on an alternative. I used the Fantasy Collar from the Iconic MFD Bundle 2 for Genesis 8 Females as the basis for the hair. I exported to object and then loaded into Studio. I was able to place the fur manually on the character, parent in place and it worked for most of the images just that way. For a couple poses I had to adjust it and use a d-form, but it worked for what I needed.

Asmod-Headshot.jpg
    512 x 512 - 62K
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
    edited November 2018
    JonnyRay said:

Another thing you can do for hair that needs to go on a person is to think outside the box. :) I was creating an image of a fantasy character for a friend. She wanted the demonlike character to have thick fur from her neck and across the tops of her shoulders, but especially down her chest in a 'V' shape. After struggling some with getting it to work right directly on the character, I hit on an alternative. I used the Fantasy Collar from the Iconic MFD Bundle 2 for Genesis 8 Females as the basis for the hair. I exported to object and then loaded into Studio. I was able to place the fur manually on the character, parent in place and it worked for most of the images just that way. For a couple poses I had to adjust it and use a d-form, but it worked for what I needed.

NIce, I can see you've put some time and effort on this one:) And good point about using dFormers, I suppose for a regular hair it would work well for animating. I often use them on hair even when fitted to a figure, but if you want to animate this dude things get a little more complexlaugh

Update: blush Wow I feel stupid, did not even bother to try posing him, it is actually fitted:) Coool! Please ignore melaugh

Need a Haircut 2.png
    1500 x 844 - 2M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    Gone said:

As Richard says, it doesn't matter what morphs you use or how extreme they are. If the figure is built on G3F then the G3F collapsed UV set will work for the purposes of Garibaldi.

Young, old, short, tall - it doesn't matter. If it's G3F then the original collaped UV set is all you need for Garibaldi.

You may need a differnt UV set for extreme shapes due to texture stretching but that has nothing to do with creating Garibaldi hair or styling it on your figure.

Also, keep in mind that Garibaldi only works properly in the default 3dl render engine. If you want to use it in other render engines then that is a whole other level of frustration.

Hopefully, Wowie or Kettu will figure out hat to make it work properly in scripted render - then I, for one, will be a very happy camper.

..indeed. I have AweSurface as well as IBL Master and am pretty impressed with the results other s have been posting.  Unfortunately I lost my entire library/runtime setup as well as about 3 years of scene files to a hard drive crash.  Am currently still rebuilding the library runtime structure (I use a custom one that is categorised) which will take some time because of all the content I have.

edited November 2018
    JonnyRay said:

...I've used GH to successfully create proper looking arm, leg, and chest hair directly on G2M.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    kyoto kid said:

...I've used GH to successfully create proper looking arm, leg, and chest hair directly on G2M.

Oh I'm sure it's possible! I was just frustrated since I needed thick fur in a very specific pattern and this "hack" worked better for me than finding exactly the right faces on the G8F body that I was working with. So using the collar worked better for me in this instance.

•  

Update: blush Wow I feel stupid, did not even bother to try posing him, it is actually fitted:) Coool! Please ignore melaugh

So when you said "hair" you meant "fur"? Because I was talking to you about rigging actual hair, like, ponytails and the like. XD

It's what Garibaldi excels in, as compared to LAMH. LAMH looks to be geared towards fur more.

Not that the best features of Garibaldi couldn't work to make great fur... but some fur-making aspects are way easier in LAMH.

Either way, you could try some clamping and the like on that dude. He may be an alien but the natural look is "in" all over the galaxy.

And since you're a Genesis user, don't miss those hair presets from the website, they're lovely.

edited November 2018

So when you said "hair" you meant "fur"? Because I was talking to you about rigging actual hair, like, ponytails and the like. XD

Uh-mm I was actually talking about hair, don't know why it turned into fur=))) I'll experiment with dFormers, pretty used to "simulating" rigging on static hair props.

It's what Garibaldi excels in, as compared to LAMH. LAMH looks to be geared towards fur more.

Not that the best features of Garibaldi couldn't work to make great fur... but some fur-making aspects are way easier in LAMH.

Either way, you could try some clamping and the like on that dude. He may be an alien but the natural look is "in" all over the galaxy.

And since you're a Genesis user, don't miss those hair presets from the website, they're lovely.

Tks, will check out!

• Uh-mm I was actually talking about hair, don't know why it turned into fur=))) I'll experiment with dFormers, pretty used to "simulating" rigging on static hair props.

This may or may not work (honestly don't know if d-formers can "see" those Garibaldi guides or not; they work with meshes). But restyling in the Garibaldi window should be way easier. It's not LAMH; its brush is so much more intuitive.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

D-formers won't work with Garibaldi hair. You would have to convert it to obj in order to get d0 form to work.

The comb is just one of the reasons I like Garibaldi better.

..same here.

Just saw Sven's Fuzzy Troll on the other thread and he looks wonderful.

Thanks @Mustakettu85, @Gone and @kyotokid! Yeeah I kind of figured it wouldn't work. The comb it is then;)

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749
    edited November 2018

It you want to recover the capability of those investments and more 

learn to export DAZ Assets to Unity 3D Game Engine & use the 

free Octane plugin to render there. Or export to Blender with assist 

from diffeomorphic free blender plugin.

He is on a Mac which means his graphics card options will be "limited"
    Bryce development is halted completely  so no " recovering the capability of those investments" on that front

The Daz  optitex Dynamic Cloth control  or Dforce would have to be exported as alembic to Unity & Blender which means buying the Alembic exporter from Daz.

the diffeomorphic free blender plugin does not support Daz HD morphs and he will have to learn to use the Blender Shader node system to recreate his textures as there will be no direct translation of IRay or even  3DL materials
    and the same is true for Unity...
    and his only option for genesis figures in unity are $$Alembic$$
    or FBX which will not have the DAZ Joint control morphs  or even Decent posing tools
    (unless he buy plugins from the unity store) .
    Also no option to access  his Daz library of clothing& accessories  once  in Unity. 

So IMHO, leaving the Daz studio environment completely for a game engine that will require more purchases, or depending on a third party blender plugin that may or may  not be updated for blender 2.8 and beyond ,is not really a solution to the OP's current challenges IMHO.

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

Just got an e-mail saying Garibaldi Express is now free. I think I'm gonna stop buying packages as my track record is horrible. Bought Bryce 5 years ago, now cannot run it on my Mac. Bought Studio Pro, free. Bought the dynamic cloth plugin (forget the name), DAZ dropped it and went to a new one. Bought Reality, later crap hit the fan. Now DAZ uses nVidia IRay and I have AMD video card. It goes on and on.

Reality is no more?  

...Reality as well as LuxRender are still there. I found 4.x to have some serious bugs some which were made worse as well as new ones that popped up with subsequent patches. LuxRender also ditched their hybrid GPU assisted rendering development and pretty much stuck with CPU rendering (and "geologic" render times if you wanted any sort of quality).

• The Mac discussion has been removed as it was not germane to the subject of the thread.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142

Just got an e-mail saying Garibaldi Express is now free. I think I'm gonna stop buying packages as my track record is horrible. Bought Bryce 5 years ago, now cannot run it on my Mac. Bought Studio Pro, free. Bought the dynamic cloth plugin (forget the name), DAZ dropped it and went to a new one. Bought Reality, later crap hit the fan. Now DAZ uses nVidia IRay and I have AMD video card. It goes on and on.

It you want to recover the capability of those investments and more learn to export DAZ Assets to Unity 3D Game Engine & use the free Octane plugin to render there. Or export to Blender with assist from diffeomorphic free blender plugin.

I have Unity (the free one) and Blender. I guess I need to look into this. I understand physical lighting far more than ray tracing.

wolf359 said:

It you want to recover the capability of those investments and more 

learn to export DAZ Assets to Unity 3D Game Engine & use the 

free Octane plugin to render there. Or export to Blender with assist 

from diffeomorphic free blender plugin.

He is on a Mac which means his graphics card options will be "limited"
    Bryce development is halted completely  so no " recovering the capability of those investments" on that front

The Daz  optitex Dynamic Cloth control  or Dforce would have to be exported as alembic to Unity & Blender which means buying the Alembic exporter from Daz.

the diffeomorphic free blender plugin does not support Daz HD morphs and he will have to learn to use the Blender Shader node system to recreate his textures as there will be no direct translation of IRay or even  3DL materials
    and the same is true for Unity...
    and his only option for genesis figures in unity are $$Alembic$$
    or FBX which will not have the DAZ Joint control morphs  or even Decent posing tools
    (unless he buy plugins from the unity store) .
    Also no option to access  his Daz library of clothing& accessories  once  in Unity. 

So IMHO, leaving the Daz studio environment completely for a game engine that will require more purchases, or depending on a third party blender plugin that may or may  not be updated for blender 2.8 and beyond ,is not really a solution to the OP's current challenges IMHO.

Oh, well maybe I won't then.....

Reality is no more?  

It is still around, but getting harder to make work. No idea when it will be updated. I prefer physical lighting, but I may have to pull my ray trace books back out and fight the power.

• BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited December 2018

Used Garibaldi Hair to create a full body fur on Genesis 8 Female and then lit the scene using  Parris IBL Master. 

G8F Garibaldi fur test.jpg
    1500 x 2121 - 3M
    Post edited by BrumitD on
    BrumitD said:

Used Garibaldi Hair to create a full body fur on Genesis 8 Female and then lit the scene using  Parris IBL Master. 

Nice:)