Garibaldi Express now free....because too old....

Just got an e-mail saying Garibaldi Express is now free. I think I'm gonna stop buying packages as my track record is horrible. Bought Bryce 5 years ago, now cannot run it on my Mac. Bought Studio Pro, free. Bought the dynamic cloth plugin (forget the name), DAZ dropped it and went to a new one. Bought Reality, later crap hit the fan. Now DAZ uses nVidia IRay and I have AMD video card. It goes on and on.

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018

No  Daz have not dropped the dynamic cloth plug in from DS.  If you bought it it will still work with any of the Opitiex (with or without another vendor) products.

You also still have the use of 3delight renderer    and I am told that Iray will work on an AMD,  just slowly

Garibaldi is not a Daz product,  it was a PA product.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873

Bought bryce, DS3 Pro, Reality, the OptiTex plugin, Garibaldi and LAMH.  Not to mention content I have not yet used.  Happens to all of us.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    Mattymanx said:

Bought bryce, DS3 Pro, Reality, the OptiTex plugin, Garibaldi and LAMH.  Not to mention content I have not yet used.  Happens to all of us.

Yeah, I have so much content I don't even know what I've got.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415

Can you use Garibaldi on any hair, or is it just certain products (like the freebies on the Garibaldi site)? 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited November 2018

I would like to receive the updated version.

I tried entering my email several different times but I never got an email with the download link and serial number. And I couldn't find any contact links on the Garabaldi site to let them know I hadn't received it.

ETA: The download email finally showed up. Thanks

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • N_R Arts said:

Can you use Garibaldi on any hair, or is it just certain products (like the freebies on the Garibaldi site)?

Garibaldi is a strand-based hair creation tool, not somethign that is used to modify existing hairs. You can paint ahir onto the current figure, and manipulate it to style it. it isn't, however, dynamic, so it's up to you (or the preset) to make it look right.

-----------------

As a geenral point, the email says that Genesis 3 and 8 don't work - while that is true out-of--the box, if you export the figure alone in base reslution and select the Collapse UVs box, then load that as a new UV set in the Surfaces pane option menu you should be able to paint hair on directly (Look at My hair had the same issue, fixable in the same way).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

...I have both and that is a shame as I primarily use G3.  Was the conflict due to the change in weight mapping systems between G2 and G3 or the surface mapping changes?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Well since this has been moved over here, I wanted to let Mattymanx her images are really lovely and she did a great job with her hair.  Thanks for sharing!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018
    sapat said:

Well since this has been moved over here, I wanted to let Mattymanx her images are really lovely and she did a great job with her hair.  Thanks for sharing!!

He will be delighted I am sure,   and this was the first thread of the two started, so we kept this one.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • kyoto kid said:

...I have both and that is a shame as I primarily use G3.  Was the conflict due to the change in weight mapping systems between G2 and G3 or the surface mapping changes?

I tyhink it was, as in LaMH, due to not suppoting UDIMs - hence my suggestion to export and OBJ with collapsed UVs (all in the unit square) and load as a new UV set.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,142
    Chohole said:
    sapat said:

He will be delighted I am sure,   and this was the first thread of the two started, so we kept this one.

I started a trend? Hope it goes well. :-)

kyoto kid said:

I tyhink it was, as in LaMH, due to not suppoting UDIMs - hence my suggestion to export and OBJ with collapsed UVs (all in the unit square) and load as a new UV set.

...but do you have to do that for a posed figure so the hair falls correctly or can you"restyle the hair on the finished G3 character it is transferred to?  converting to .obj loses all morphing and rigging.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

With UDIMS, only the face UV is visible to Garibaldi - that's why you need to collapse the UV's so that you can paint the areas you want hair to "grow". Alternatively, you can create your hair growth map in a paint program. I put some head sample maps up in the Garibaldi thread a year or so ago.

Once you have your growth map, you can do whatever you want with the styling. It's only an issue with the paint tab in Garibaldi.

..so to create the race from my Sci Fi story I cannot use G3 as I intended because there is also fur on the limbs and along the centre of the back.

I cannot paint very well in s 2D programme as I have very unsteady hands.due ti serious arthritis and it is already a major challenge just to use LAMH on a 3D model.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

It's a shame. I actually liked Garibaldi better than LAMH. Even used it a few times in Iray (with the export to object option).

I'm still holding out hope that in the future since Iray supports polylines now we might get a feature in Daz Studio that is similar to Carrara's dynamic hair tools.

• JonnyRay said:
    I'm still holding out hope that in the future since Iray supports polylines now we might get a feature in Daz Studio that is similar to Carrara's dynamic hair tools.

it isn't that Iray suports polylines, it's that DS supports polylines and can turn them into polygons at render tiem for Iray - see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/geometry/generate_polyline_wireframe/start for an example of how to do that.

sapat said:

Thank you again.  And yes, I am a guy.  I dont render guys so my avatar comes from the renders I do of girls.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,415

Garibaldi is a strand-based hair creation tool, not somethign that is used to modify existing hairs. You can paint ahir onto the current figure, and manipulate it to style it. it isn't, however, dynamic, so it's up to you (or the preset) to make it look right.

-----------------

As a geenral point, the email says that Genesis 3 and 8 don't work - while that is true out-of--the box, if you export the figure alone in base reslution and select the Collapse UVs box, then load that as a new UV set in the Surfaces pane option menu you should be able to paint hair on directly (Look at My hair had the same issue, fixable in the same way).

Oh wow. Thank you for explaining ^^

Has anyone tried using Garlibaldi on the DAZ Big Cat 2? Would the method of exporting Big Cat 2 work like it does with Genesis 3?

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    JonnyRay said:

it isn't that Iray suports polylines, it's that DS supports polylines and can turn them into polygons at render tiem for Iray - see http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/geometry/generate_polyline_wireframe/start for an example of how to do that.

Thanks for the correction, Richard. :)

...looking at the other thread (both links  go to the same one) makes me wondering if this procedure it would even be possible as to create the characters from my SF story as they are heavily morphed with a lot of shape mixing (including some morphs/shapes brought in via Gen-X2) to the point the relationship to the base figure almost unrecognisable.  G3 tends to be the best for doing this compared earlier Genesis versions, particularly for posing.  How will Garibaldi recognise the "working character" from the base G3F?

Attached is a very old sketch of what a female of this race looks like.

ndera of house tel.jpg
    600 x 799 - 66K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

Great.  Double edged sword, great it is still available but not so great that I got it when it was not free.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

So, just started playing with this. Managed to create a hair, and render it out. So there's no way of making it conform to the figure then? Tried to export it in various formats with no luck.

So, just started playing with this. Managed to create a hair, and render it out. So there's no way of making it conform to the figure then? Tried to export it in various formats with no luck.

It should be connected to the figure by default.  Its been a long while since I used it so its not fresh in my head.  As for export, you can do either OBJ or you can save it as a wearable preset.  Again, its been a while so I dont recall the details.

For those who want G3F hair maps for use in GH, look here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/865479/#Comment_865479

Detailed instructions:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/865971/#Comment_865971

...so do I have to do a fully morphed version of the character before the .obj/UV conversion UV map just to first paint the fur with GH? Then create a second identical one to actually apply it to?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Mattymanx said:

It should be connected to the figure by default.  Its been a long while since I used it so its not fresh in my head.  As for export, you can do either OBJ or you can save it as a wearable preset.  Again, its been a while so I dont recall the details.

Yes it gets parented to the head. So naturally I tried exporting it as an .obj then importing to try to use tranfer utility to create a conforming hair. Well when I import it it shows in the scene tab but there's no geometry, and it's not showing in transfer utility, so my conclusion was that it's not converted properly? I tried also the other export formats, same result.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Just got an e-mail saying Garibaldi Express is now free. I think I'm gonna stop buying packages as my track record is horrible. Bought Bryce 5 years ago, now cannot run it on my Mac. Bought Studio Pro, free. Bought the dynamic cloth plugin (forget the name), DAZ dropped it and went to a new one. Bought Reality, later crap hit the fan. Now DAZ uses nVidia IRay and I have AMD video card. It goes on and on.

It you want to recover the capability of those investments and more learn to export DAZ Assets to Unity 3D Game Engine & use the free Octane plugin to render there. Or export to Blender with assist from diffeomorphic free blender plugin.

• GoneGone Posts: 833

Ok - so here is a quick and dirty test for G3F using the collape UV method described elsewhere. While I didn't test it, I expect the same process will work just fine for G3M and the G8F/M.

I loaded the base G3F used the collapse export as previously described and saved the obj. Make sure you keep it in a safe place because you will always want to use it for new hair creation.

After you have saved the obj use the "load UV" command to switch from the default UV to the collapsed UV. You can now make Garibaldi hair on any part of the figure.

In this image, I created the head and back hair on a base G3F. I then saved it as a wearable preset and cleared the scene. Loaded a new G3F and dialed up the figure seen here. Went to my wearable folder and laoded the hair to the morphed figure.

I then changed the UV on the morphed figure by loading the previously saved collapsed UV. Created a new Garibaldi hair and selected the arms. Made the hair and then changed the UV set back to the default.

So - bottom line - you create the collaped UV set ONCE on the default G3F. You can then load it as a new UV set on any G3F character whenever you need it.

G3HairTest.jpg
    600 x 900 - 68K

...OK thanks for the help there. So I can then just use a base G3 for generating the hair/fur ad it will work with the morphed character. Indeed it makes sense to save the base converted G3 for future use.  For creating younger members of the race I wonder if I will have to save corresponding G3F bases as well.

I prefer using GH as I can create a finer, softer hair than with LAMH.

Both male and female are slightly more androgynous so I will be mixing some male morphs into G3F (that will allow using SkinBuilder Pro3 on both genders for the skin colourations and markings as well as the single base G3F for creating the fur).

• kyoto kid said:

...OK thanks for the help there. So I can then just use a base G3 for generating the hair/fur ad it will work with the morphed character. Indeed it makes sense to save the base converted G3 for future use.  For creating younger members of the race I wonder if I will have to save corresponding G3F bases as well.

I prefer using GH as I can create a finer, softer hair than with LAMH.

Both male and female are slightly more androgynous so I will be mixing some male morphs into G3F (that will allow using SkinBuilder Pro3 on both genders for the skin colourations and markings as well as the single base G3F for creating the fur).

UVs are not related to shapes (which is why extreme shapes cause stretching of textures). They just associate 2D coordinates with each vertex of a polygon.