East Meets West outfit for g8m

Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
edited November 2018 in The Commons

To begin with, I love it. I snatched it the very moment I saw it was in the pc+ item for the day category, my very last money went to them :) Now, to what i am wondering... I'm playing around with them right now, and noticed that the material is not split between the shirt and pants. In that regard that even when I have only the pants selected and click one of the materials, the shirt get the corresponding color in that set.

For example, if I wish to use the EMW-Black Dragon on the pants, I also get the shirt in the color that is with those pants. But If I want the shirt from the EMW-Pink Print color, I need to go into the surface pane and change it in there. 

I am wondering if it is Supposed to be like that, or if there is something not quite working as intended. Personally I would have loved if I could select just the pants or shirt, get one color for that part. And than select the other and get a different color. Much easier than having to find in surface tab etc. I still love the product (even if i only played a little with it so far) so it's no deal breaker or anything, but I admit I wouldn't mind if it was a bit easier with the materials :)

I probably should also add, that this is when working in Smart Content Pane. As I don't really use DIM anymore, I have no idea how it looks/works from product library

Post edited by Carola O on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,206
    edited November 2018

The pants and shirts are separate items, so they can have separate materials. Those are Hierarchical presets, affecting all target items parented to the Genesis 8 Male (so they won't work if you AutoFit to another item). There are a couple of ways you could apply them to only one piece of the outfit:

• In the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane, click the entry for the top or the pants to select just that, then hold down ctrl/cmd while double-clicking the preset and choose the option to affect only selected surfaces.
    • Temporarily unparent the item you don't want to affect - you don't need to unfit it too, just unparent.
    • As a more lasting fix, you could apply the set you want, then select top and pants in turn and save regular Materials presets - that will also let you apply materials if you AutoFit to another figure.

As for whether it should be like that, it's not a bug per se but ti might be worth a support ticket to request the addition of standard materials presets for each separate piece.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818

That's what made me wonder, the fact it was Only Hierarchical presets. I did not know one could temporary unparent the item to use the preset on only one part though. I just wish there was a way to use them without going through all those steps, as in having Non hierarchical presets too. 

And I may do that, I had hoped that perhaps Avee might see this and add it. But might be better with a ticket I guess.. I really don't like doing that though lol

Though, I'm curious about something.. you said that if I Autofit to another figure, the presets won't work? Meaning there is basically no materials unless going through surface tab or using a shader?

• If you AutoFit the item to Genesis 8 female and try applying the perset it will conmplain that it can't find the proper node hierarchy, as I recall. Saving regular Materials Presets will avoid that, since they don't care what they are applied to, but obviously that's a fiddle if you do the whole set.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    Carola O said:

That's what made me wonder, the fact it was Only Hierarchical presets. I did not know one could temporary unparent the item to use the preset on only one part though. I just wish there was a way to use them without going through all those steps, as in having Non hierarchical presets too. 

And I may do that, I had hoped that perhaps Avee might see this and add it. But might be better with a ticket I guess.. I really don't like doing that though lol

Though, I'm curious about something.. you said that if I Autofit to another figure, the presets won't work? Meaning there is basically no materials unless going through surface tab or using a shader?

I'm happy you were able to pick up East Meets West, it's definitely a fun set to play with!

It's a fairly quick process to apply the materials only to one surface, right click the item in viewport to select only that item then ctrl-click the materials preset you want to apply.  The content library can get confusing and cluttered quite quickly with so many presets. It's been my experience that it's easier/faster to use the above method than it is to scroll through potentially dozens of presets to find the one(s) for separates. With that said, the solution would be to do as Richard suggested and create separate materials as needed.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Carola O said:

I'm happy you were able to pick up East Meets West, it's definitely a fun set to play with!

It's a fairly quick process to apply the materials only to one surface, right click the item in viewport to select only that item then ctrl-click the materials preset you want to apply.  The content library can get confusing and cluttered quite quickly with so many presets. It's been my experience that it's easier/faster to use the above method than it is to scroll through potentially dozens of presets to find the one(s) for separates. With that said, the solution would be to do as Richard suggested and create separate materials as needed.

This ctrl-click technique sounds really useful, but I can't get it to work. For me, it won't apply a hierarchical material preset to only one garment in the outfit, and it won't apply a hierarchical material preset to the outfit when it has been autofit to another character. I don't have East Meets West, so I tried other sets with hierarchical material presets.

edited November 2018
    barbult said:
    Carola O said:

This ctrl-click technique sounds really useful, but I can't get it to work. For me, it won't apply a hierarchical material preset to only one garment in the outfit, and it won't apply a hierarchical material preset to the outfit when it has been autofit to another character. I don't have East Meets West, so I tried other sets with hierarchical material presets.

You need to have the selected pcs also selected in the Surfaces tab like when you apply a shader. Not sure if this works when fit to another figure though.

Eureka!!! It does seem to work when I have East Meets West autofit to G8Female, learn something new every day!

Post edited by Aave Nainen on
  • Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,554
    barbult said:
    Carola O said:

You need to have the selected pcs also selected in the Surfaces tab like when you apply a shader. Not sure if this works when fit to another figure though.

This method worked fine for me. It's a great outfit.

edited November 2018
    barbult said:
    Carola O said:

Eureka!!! It does seem to work when I have East Meets West autofit to G8Female, learn something new every day!

Selecting the surfaces was the magic answer!! Thank you for this tip. This is incredibly useful. 

Edit: I'm adding this screen capture so I can refer back and remember how to do this.

Apply Hierarchical Material Preset to individual item.jpg
    2106 x 1056 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited November 2018

Now I do have East Meets West. Thanks for making it so affordable. I used this technique to combine one shirt color with another pants color. I have to practice this so I don't forget!

And here I got totally carried away.

Justice East Meets West_001.png
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Justice East Meets West.png
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

The clothing set itself is utterly fantastic, but the hoops one has to jump through to use the textures... tsk.. tsk.. tsk..

I have to agree with Maidecker there, I love the clothing but I would have much prefer some standard materials. I didn't even know of most of the solutions people has mentioned here, just the one I myself used (changing the texture in the surface tab), which were made more complicated by the fact that the materiel files don't have the same names as the presets you can click.

I guess I'm one in minority, but I nearly never use hierarchical presets when they are part of the included material, nearly always use the standard material. SImply because it's easier and fast than having to jump through the hoops. Still I do truly love the clothing set, and I like the material.. just wish there wasn't only hierarchical presets for it.

• felisfelis Posts: 3,575

I will agree, that my preference is standard materials.

I generally prefer to use piece by piece, and not a whole set.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    Carola O said:

I have to agree with Maidecker there, I love the clothing but I would have much prefer some standard materials. I didn't even know of most of the solutions people has mentioned here, just the one I myself used (changing the texture in the surface tab), which were made more complicated by the fact that the materiel files don't have the same names as the presets you can click.

I guess I'm one in minority, but I nearly never use hierarchical presets when they are part of the included material, nearly always use the standard material. SImply because it's easier and fast than having to jump through the hoops. Still I do truly love the clothing set, and I like the material.. just wish there wasn't only hierarchical presets for it.

Not the minority, I was having issues getting the textures to apply also till I saw this thread. Now I have to save out all the materials so I can use them as standard ones, not a good solution. Whenever I encountered hierarchical presets in other products in the past they turned out to be more confusing than helpful.

I guess I am the minority now. Since learning this trick, I don't mind having only the hierarchical presets now. It takes a few more mouse clicks to apply to separate garments, but it is not that difficult, ONCE YOU KNOW THE TRICK. However, I imagine 99% of users will be frustrated by the lack of separate presets for each garment and each color, because they've never heard of this technique. I bet if Aave Nainen had to create all those individual presets, thumbnails, and tip files. we wouldn't have gotten so may choices in the product.

edited November 2018
    barbult said:

I guess I am the minority now. Since learning this trick, I don't mind having only the hierarchical presets now. It takes a few more mouse clicks to apply to separate garments, but it is not that difficult, ONCE YOU KNOW THE TRICK. However, I imagine 99% of users will be frustrated by the lack of separate presets for each garment and each color, because they've never heard of this technique. I bet if Aave Nainen had to create all those individual presets, thumbnails, and tip files. we wouldn't have gotten so may choices in the product.

Maybe one simple Tip file explaining how to do the trick would have been helpful and not too much work?

Edit: as another plus of this set, it seems to work nicely autofitted to G3F wink

Post edited by maikdecker on
    barbult said:

Maybe one simple Tip file explaining how to do the trick would have been helpful and not too much work?

Edit: as another plus of this set, it seems to work nicely autofitted to G3F wink

Well given that I've only just figured out this neat little trick myself you can be assured that had I known how it worked I may well have included a Tip file! As far as I know though a Tip icon won't show up in Smart Content. I'd love to see some renders of the outfit on G3F :)!!!

barbult said:

Now I do have East Meets West. Thanks for making it so affordable. I used this technique to combine one shirt color with another pants color. I have to practice this so I don't forget!

Looks like you are having great fun with the set :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2018

Despite the material issues, it's a great set and was a great price, so thanks so much! I also appreciate the adjustment morphs.

makes for some comfy training wear, LOL

trainingday.jpg
    982 x 849 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2018
    barbult said:

Looks like you are having great fun with the set :)

Oh, Yes! Here it is on G8F Michiko.

G8F Michiko East Meets West_002 PS.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 1M
    G8F Michiko East Meets West.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    edited November 2018
    barbult said:

I'd love to see some renders of the outfit on G3F :)!!!

OK, here is the outfit on G3M Darius 7 and G3F Nyarai.

Wait for Me!

Darius 7 Nyarai East Meets West_003.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    edited November 2018

Well given that I've only just figured out this neat little trick myself you can be assured that had I known how it worked I may well have included a Tip file! As far as I know though a Tip icon won't show up in Smart Content. I'd love to see some renders of the outfit on G3F :)!!!

Can't say anything about Smart Content as I usually don't use it.. blush

But here's a G3F picture..

Basic G3F, with Goldtassel's Careless Braid and a texture from JGreenlees' Prints Iray Shaders

The outfit works nicely without any texture stretching it seems, which otherwise sometimes seems to happen when autofitting G8 stuff to G3 or vice versa..

for Aave.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
    Post edited by maikdecker on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259
    edited November 2018

It's a very, very nice set and I am happy it was a PC+ Anniversary offer!

Thank you!

Post edited by caravelle on

I love that you all are able to use the set in so many ways!

Here is the image I was working on, I do honestly love the outfit, so despite my grousing above I am totally happy to have it :)

Training

I'm not able to get the Ctrl-Double Click trick to work when the outfit is autofit to a different generation character. Does that really work? To the hierarchical materials onto the East Meets West on G3F, I had to create new hierarchical materials presets for use on G3F. I'd appreciate some help, if I am missing some step again.