V4 Hair to Genesis Figures

I have managed as a result of special Platinum Club buys to obtain a lot of V4 Hair Doo's.Is it difficult to fit them to the Genesis 2 3 and 8 figures? Cheers

Comments

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391
    edited October 2018
    Post edited by Victor_B on
  • It just takes work but you should be aware that you will need to fix them not only to fit the scalps of other figures but if you use Iray the shaders have to be redone. I use v4 hair on everything so it is just a chore getting it to work.

• I have no problem fitting V4 hair on Genesis 3 Female figures, but the result does look weird plus you may not be able to use morphs in the hair if using the "Fit to" method.

What I do nowadays is click the V4 hair in your inventory.  Once it is in the Scene tab, select the hairstyle in the Scene tab, change the parent to “Head”, use the Y Translate in the Parameters tab to fit the hair the way you desire, and any hair morphs should work by using this method.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Ignore te title on this thread but read the tutorial !! it's great for moveing V4 hair to the Genesis line

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/ramworks-tutorials-pp2-and-hr2-to-figure-painting-genesis-in-zbrush/p1

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2018

You essentially have three ways of fitting V4 hairs to newer figures:

1. Autofit

This is the quickest and simplest way. Apply your hair to the figure of your choice, and follow the instructions in the dialog. Tell Daz the item was made for V4 and that it's a hair (long or short as appropriate). The advantage of this method is that it's quick and simple, the disadvantage is that it doesn't always work well. In particular, if the hair has custom bones to control braids, bangs, etc. they'll be lost during the autofit process. Note also that you may need to buy clone products to allow movement direct between generations.

2. Transfer Utility

Similar to autofit, but you can get it to preserve any custom bones if you follow this tutorial by Sickleyield. The end result can still look a bit off though.

3. Parenting

If you don't like the results of the other two methods, you can simply parent the hair to the head. This saves you from the mangling that autofitting/transferring that hair can cause, but you have to manually scale the scalp to fit the head (a trick for this is to make all surfaces except the skullcap 0% opacity while you do the fitting). It also means the hair could collide with the shoulders as you move the head - you'll have to deal with that manually too.

Note that some older hair products are props rather than figures, so you'll have to parent them instead of autofitting them. Another thing to note about old hairs is that sometimes the morphs to move and adjust them can be found under the Neck bone instead of simply under the figure's root node.

If you're going to be rendering in Iray, there are several hair retexturing products in the Daz store and elsewhere that you may find useful. Personally, I use the one OOT sells at Rendo.

It all seems like a lot of hassle, but stick with it - there are a lot of really great hair products out there that you can still use effectively with just a little effort (and for very little cash!)

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • Maybe Riversoft and SY can create a batch converter for hair.

• GiGi_7 said:

Maybe Riversoft and SY can create a batch converter for hair.

That would be usefull but it would cut into profits. I've seen the same hare sold as new that was a v4 hair that was just fitted to a newer generation model.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    carrie58 said:

Ignore te title on this thread but read the tutorial !! it's great for moveing V4 hair to the Genesis line

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1866/ramworks-tutorials-pp2-and-hr2-to-figure-painting-genesis-in-zbrush/p1

WOW.. my old tutorial is still useful.  NICE!  :-) 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    RAMWolff said:
    carrie58 said:

WOW.. my old tutorial is still useful.  NICE!  :-) 

as relevant as ever! Thanks for doing that so long ago!, and thanks to Carrie58 for digging up and sharing the link!

--ms