What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

That DS installs with both, DS 4 "old" default content folder and DIM default content folder listed in content directory manager. That haves a potential to save some people some time and nerves and grays in the hair. :-)

It does that now, for a new install.
    Nice. Why not for upgrades as well?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

That DS installs with both, DS 4 "old" default content folder and DIM default content folder listed in content directory manager. That haves a potential to save some people some time and nerves and grays in the hair. :-)

For upgrades it keeps your existing settings.

edited August 2013

Yes. But, for example, if somebody upgrades from 4.5 to 4.6 and uses DIM to install new version of genesis starter essentials? If DIM uninstales older version of essentials first and instales new version into DIMs default content folder that is different from one listed in DS, stuff wouldn't work, would it?

Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

If DIM uninstales older version of essentials first and instales new version into DIMs default content folder that is different from one listed in DS, stuff wouldn't work, would it?

This is IMHO one of D|S's top instances of self-foot-shooting — as far as I know it was never made clear to begin with that DIM uses a new default content location, and that DIM and D|S are not aware of each other's content location settings. It's easy and trivial to change those settings, but you have to know you need to change them. I'm not sure if this is the most common subject of aaaiiieee-mails from confused users (not all of them newcomers), but it has to be somewhere on the podium.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes. But, for example, if somebody upgrades from 4.5 to 4.6 and uses DIM to install new version of genesis starter essentials? If DIM uninstales older version of essentials first and instales new version into DIMs default content folder that is different from one listed in DS, stuff wouldn't work, would it?

If the previous GSE wasn't installed with DIM, then DIM won't uninstall it. I would guess that in working through the permutations of what would happen if DIM tampered with the DS settings, they decided it would be better not to.

edited December 1969

If the previous GSE wasn't installed with DIM, then DIM won't uninstall it. I would guess that in working through the permutations of what would happen if DIM tampered with the DS settings, they decided it would be better not to.
    Ah, ok. So, if user uninstalls older version and uses DIM to install new one into DIMs default folder than it doesnt work? Or if user doesnt uninstall older version and installs new one in DIMs default location, than DS still loads older version from "older" default location listed in DS?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I think the request is more for one you can use in the viewport. like you can in 2D programmes.

Yeah, that's what I mean.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited August 2013

My main request would be to have an import Marvelous Designer file extension which allowed also imported the fabric settings to be imported with the clothing so that is showed in surface area.

Also agree with "genesis straight T-pose export (problems assign rig in MB)" of first posting.

I better image editor for designers to use from the surface area.

Just my 2 cents.

Post edited by KimberSue on
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Please revise the PROPERTY EDITOR. Load times for a single figure for the whole night away are unacceptable.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Now there is the question: under what circumstances is the property editor that slow???
    Cause it works fine for me:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/w31lg0rpmdr5ogc/PMDInjectionToDazStudioMorphMorphLoaderPro.pdf
    Figure is Dawn, PC specs: Intel Core i7-2700K, RAM 32 GB DDR3-1333

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

It seems to vary - both by number of morphs installed, and by system. It takes over half-an-hour to populate the pane for Genesis for me.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Yup, the more morphs that a figure has the longer it takes for the Property Editor to load up and stay stable. I rarely use it these days but yes, with Dawn it's not painful at all. I imagine with Genesis 02 Female it's probably not too bad either but with Genesis 01, I just gave up. Esp after it crashed the program after finally loading. I was not a happy camper!

• LyoneLyone Posts: 138
    edited September 2013

I wish I could organize better my categories in DAZ Studio 5. I mean, if I categorize some hair, it's impossible for me to remember after a few month/year which hair I categorized. Moreover, I have plenty of hair and it's almost impossible to remember which one I have/have not categorized. I talk about hair but it's only an example. It could be clothing, animals, vehicles, environments, skin textures e.t.c... It would be great if all the stuff I categorized (from Poser Runtime and DAZ) have/get a special colour (I mean the name of the categorized item could be in blue or green color, or another color). All categorized products could have some color and the "non categorized products" another color (or no color at all). It would be cool if I could choose the color myself.

Of course it would be fantastic if DAZ did this systematically but they don't have to. I can put myself a color on the hair when I just categorized it. Maybe some message from DAZ (when you just have categorized an item) which ask you if you want to set a color to the categorized item?

I also wish a UV conversion between the gen3, gen4, Genesis and Genesis2 figures. I wish you could choose whatever uv map you want with whatever figure you use. Especially important for me to be able to choose a male or female texture on EACH figure. V6 for example has an androgenous morph and it would be great to have textures to apply on him. I mean textures from M4/M5/Genesis. And I wish that I can use poses and expressions on all the figures (Generation 3, 4, Genesis, Genesis 2) and that the poses and expressions work well and are more exact. The feet don't work properly and need some tweaking everytime I put a Millenium3/4 pose on Genesis/Genesis2. In conclusion, I wish I could play with a figure without thinking about if he/she will have enough clothes, hair, good pose/expressions e.t.c...

But don't misunderstand me. I'm very HAPPY with DAZ Studio. It's a great application. And I love the Generation 3/4, Genesis/Genesis 2 figures. Thank you DAZ for making them. When I bought my first products at DAZ, there was a a lot of Michael 2 and Victoria 2 stuff, and some V3/M3 stuff (the new figures at this time). It has been a greeeeeaaaaaat evolution since these years. I only used Poser at the beginning and now I almost only use DAZ Studio. GEN X was revolutionary for me because I could transfer my Gen 3/4 morphs on Genesis. And I began to use DAZ Studio more and more (while I prefer the Poser interface). So if I can use the figures the way I want without thinking: "Oh no, no expressions for him/her..." I will definitely go over 100% to DAZ Studio.

Post edited by Lyone on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...being more and more involved with retexturing and shader manipulation, I second the suggestion of a coulor picker that works in the viewport.

Also a more precise "Pick" tool that actually selects the specific item/body part you click on and more Undo iterations.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...being more and more involved with retexturing and shader manipulation, I second the suggestion of a coulor picker that works in the viewport.

Also a more precise "Pick" tool that actually selects the specific item/body part you click on and more Undo iterations.

I requested this when DS was at version 1. I was told by the Dev Team that it's not going to happen. They bought the color picker for DS (most software companies buy these universal bits & pieces, rather than re-invent the wheel), and they're not prepared to buy a new one just for this request.

I agree it's really annoying not to be able to pick a color from the scene or viewport, but I doubt it will ever happen.

mac

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I requested this when DS was at version 1. I was told by the Dev Team that it's not going to happen. They bought the color picker for DS (most software companies buy these universal bits & pieces, rather than re-invent the wheel), and they're not prepared to buy a new one just for this request.

I agree it's really annoying not to be able to pick a color from the scene or viewport, but I doubt it will ever happen.

mac
    What's stopping them from adding in a function that just allows the existing picker to be called from the viewport? No additional purchases needed.

Kyoto, what do you mean more precise 'pick' tool? Do you mean for body/clothing/item parts or mat zone surfaces?

edited December 1969

...thank you.

...bugger, didn't realise such tools were "off the shelf" so to say.

edited September 2013

Vaskania said:
    Kyoto, what do you mean more precise 'pick' tool? Do you mean for body/clothing/item parts or mat zone surfaces?

...mostly body zones/items and especially clothing. For example, I'll select "Head" and at first that is all which the picker indicates but then when I go to pose controls I get the entire body not the head as it defaults to the full figure and when I look in the scene tab the figure is selected.

For selecting material zones I just select the item in the scene tab, then use the surfaces tab to select the specific zone.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Ah, yea, the body picker annoys me something fierce. I've actually taken to right clicking the general area and choosing from there (If I right click over the top of the head, it gives me options for the head or the hair if I have any). For surfaces, I tend to use the surface selection tool so I can avoid scrolling through mat zones that tend to be named wonky (or in the case of the supersuit, egad).

edited December 1969

Nice free colour picker:
    http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.php

Ooops - reading on tells me you are talking about the "selection tools" ... sorry

edited December 1969

...also the colour picker as well. Would really help with retexturing.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Vaskania said:

...mostly body zones/items and especially clothing. For example, I'll select "Head" and at first that is all which the picker indicates but then when I go to pose controls I get the entire body not the head as it defaults to the full figure and when I look in the scene tab the figure is selected.

If you mean what I think you mean, go to Tool Settings and under Node Selection Mode choose Node instead of Root Node First.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

I have issues with load times, and would love for this to be address. Some files, take FOREVER, and I have no idea why. DAZ hangs on "Reading Asset" "Clearing the scene." And yet I have no idea what files in particular are causing it to slow to an agonizing crawl.. I would like a better way to troubleshoot this because it is becoming a problem for me.

I would also like a better way to aim the lights. I find the lights to be awkward to direct at times.

edited December 1969

Richard: thank you! :)

SereneNight - what do you mean by awkward?
    I am selecting the light I want to aim like I select a camera and then use the camera moving thingies ...
    Much easier than in Poser, for example ...

edited December 1969

...I find the lights in Daz fare easier to work with than in other apps with the "view through" function. Wish I had that ability when I was doing theatrical lighting. Would have saved a lot of scary climbs into the flylines.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Richard: thank you! :)

SereneNight - what do you mean by awkward?
    I am selecting the light I want to aim like I select a camera and then use the camera moving thingies ...
    Much easier than in Poser, for example ...

When I use the 'look through the camera' to see where the focus of the light is, I find it really tough to visualize where it is in position to the character. It looks distorted and awkward to me.

• EwokzombieEwokzombie Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

How about DAZ Studio 5 being fully backwards compatible with the products I buy here?

Finding that you now have look through several runtimes to find anything has turned me off of using DS 4 completely. I have the one to the left of the screen (with all the thumbnail images) and about 8 in the incredibly small window to the right of the screen and that’s not including my 2 custom made runtimes.

I went out and PURCHASED Poser 9 because of the troubles I’m having with DS 4. If I have to learn how to use a program I might as well use one where I can find things to use in my renders.

No wonder I’ve lost all interest in digital art in the last few years.

edited December 1969

...how about just going back to a Daz runtime structure and getting rid of this My Library rubbish that forces itself into the Shared Documents folder.

It' called the "KISS factor".

edited September 2013

You can move it out of shared documents. Just put it where you want it, rename it whatever you want, then change the path in your content library manager within DS.

I have multiple libraries stored within F:\Libraries.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited September 2013

....yeah, but for simplicity's sake if they revamped the runtime structure many us wouldn't need to deal; with having to make our own setups. 3DS doesn't do this neither does C4D. If Daz wants to make a truly "Pro" style app, they need to make it more elegant.

Post edited by kyoto kid on