Feature request: Marvelous designer for or with DS?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Of all the cloth design techniques I have tried so far, I really like Marvelous Designer best. Most impressively, it is pattern based but effectively allows for real time modeling and adjustment. However, while it is possible to use V4 or another figure with it, it is painful for a variety of reasons, including the complexity of bringing over poses.

The Optitex dynamic cloth module sadly feels somewhat moribund (due to lack of new clothing being produced).

I would love to see MD as an integrated plugin for DS, or at least with some bridge to make integration easier. Does anybody on this forum second this wish?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is not a new thought. Any user supported dynamics would be a plus in my eyes also. But that is not as important as fixing the known bugs right now. Then add new features, not before. Just my 2 cents.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Of all the cloth design techniques I have tried so far, I really like Marvelous Designer best. Most impressively, it is pattern based but effectively allows for real time modeling and adjustment. However, while it is possible to use V4 or another figure with it, it is painful for a variety of reasons, including the complexity of bringing over poses.

The Optitex dynamic cloth module sadly feels somewhat moribund (due to lack of new clothing being produced).

I would love to see MD as an integrated plugin for DS, or at least with some bridge to make integration easier. Does anybody on this forum second this wish?

there is a new program coming ( Dress Shop ) - keep eye out for it .

edited December 1969

bigh said:

link for info -
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26235/P15

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...just received notice a short while ago that the Beta of MD3 has been closed and the full public release will be forthcoming.

Not sure yet how this will affect current licence holders.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

But from what I have seen so far Dress shop is not for dynamic cloth. Dynamics are a whole different thing.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    bigh said:

But from what I have seen so far Dress shop is not for dynamic cloth. Dynamics are a whole different thing.

to true and Marvelous Designer doesn't do dynamic cloth - so they are even in what they do .
    and DressShop is going to be a ( lot ) less to buy .

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Well that may be true, but will it be able to do things like this

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=84237_A0kIlJb14I1uewHAVfeO&board_id=1

or this

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=84232_2rv0eYaHiFHsp3qiNVNl&board_id=1

Which are both done in MD, and draped dynamically in MD. THe OP is looking for a way to do things like this in DS, as are a great many other people.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Well that may be true, but will it be able to do things like this

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=84237_A0kIlJb14I1uewHAVfeO&board_id=1

or this

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=4&aid=84232_2rv0eYaHiFHsp3qiNVNl&board_id=1

Which are both done in MD, and draped dynamically in MD. THe OP is looking for a way to do things like this in DS, as are a great many other people.

have no idea !

• edited December 1969

I too would like to see real-time dynamic cloth simulation in Daz, along with dynamic objects and soft body physics. But we've wanted it for years.

There is a way to create cloth sims in MD2 and import them into Daz.

1. Create pattern in MD2 and simulate on your imported Daz Character (Daz Character is loaded as a collida file that is exported with animation from Daz)
    2. Once simulation is complete on all frames of your animation save it as a series of .obj's to a folder (depending on the length of animation this will be quite a few).
    3. In Daz load your figure with the exact same animation as was previously exported to MD2.
    4. Import the first .obj of the cloth sim in the first frame of your animation
    5. Select this obj prop and run Daz morph loader pro.
    6. Select all the additional .obj files for that object and load them all in as morphs to your prop.
    7. Run the Animorph2 script from marcuswilm (see link below)

This script automatically sets the frame number's morph to 100 while setting all the others to 0 so that as you scrub through the animation the morphs fire in succession and the cloth moves as was previously simulated in MD2.

More info here :
    http://www.sharecg.com/marcuswilm

http://www.youtube.com/user/marcuswilm/videos

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited August 2013

A DS plug-in was promised for MD 2 in the old forums, it was listed as something that WOULD happen. That's why I bought it. The promised plug-in never came about. At first they said it was because DAZ asked them to hold off until the SDK for DS 4 was done, which took a long time, and then... nothing. Which I am less than thrilled about. You can see their promise in the archive of the old forum here. Note: the archive tends to load sloooow.

http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=153392&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

First the Optitex tool that never happened, and then the MD plug-in that never happened, DS seems to be cursed for Dynamics.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
    edited December 1969

...I remember that thread, think I even responded to it several times.

It was kind of interesting to read comments concerning the price of the commercial version (about what Photoshop and Z Brush cost which many here use) when the price of Optitex's Runway Designer software was in the five digit range.

Ended up purchasing a personal licence at the intro price and like many, based on the hopes that there would be a bridge or plugin. At the time I was still working in 32 bit so all I could do is make patterns as draping simulations tended to exceed my old system's memory limits. However I found it much more intuitive than having to use a conventional modelling programme and purchase a UV mapping tool (the free version of UV mapper was pretty much useless as it would crush all the maps together making it difficult to select a specific region).

It's now been over two and a half years since, and still no mention of an Open Dynamics solution for Daz. MD has since undergone several updates and a new version, MD3 is due to be released next Monday, 08/19.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I remember that thread, think I even responded to it several times.

It was kind of interesting to read comments concerning the price of the commercial version (about what Photoshop and Z Brush cost which many here use) when the price of Optitex's Runway Designer software was in the five digit range.

Ended up purchasing a personal licence at the intro price and like many, based on the hopes that there would be a bridge or plugin. At the time I was still working in 32 bit so all I could do is make patterns as draping simulations tended to exceed my old system's memory limits. However I found it much more intuitive than having to use a conventional modelling programme and purchase a UV mapping tool (the free version of UV mapper was pretty much useless as it would crush all the maps together making it difficult to select a specific region).

It's now been over two and a half years since, and still no mention of an Open Dynamics solution for Daz. MD has since undergone several updates and a new version, MD3 is due to be released next Monday, 08/19.

what's the price for the new MD3 - if you know ?

edited December 1969

...not sure yet as they say it won't launch until Monday. Just checked the site and nothing yet on pricing.

Hoping that there will be an upgrade discount for us who already have licences.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not sure yet as they say it won't launch until Monday. Just checked the site and nothing yet on pricing.

thank you

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Owners of a md2 license should have a discount coupon in their account (i think it's under 'order details').
    edited December 1969

....most excellent.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Dress Shop does not do dynamics, it is just a basic dress or suit, which you can cut to shape. You can't even model in it, only import a ready made model.

• KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Owners of a md2 license should have a discount coupon in their account (i think it's under 'order details').

What bothers me is when I bought my MD2 business license, I was told I was buying the license and not the software itself. Now it looks like you have to buy an upgrade cost. I hope they have contest to win MD3 because that is my own chance of getting it. :)

I was very disappointed there was no Daz bridge with MD3.

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

First of all, I have heard nothing but negative comments about MD3 from its user base and very buggy. And I also understand they aren't giving MD2 users a break on pricing. I use MD2 and bring the animated cloth into DS. I am working on a music video right now with V4 and her long, flowing gown will be fully animated. Although it's brought into DS as an object and animated with morphs, it does not mean its doesn't look real. Here is the test I did a while back and posted on You Tube. The skirt moves as if it was dynamic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-FXUsU4T0

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jaebea said:
    Although it's brought into DS as an object and animated with morphs, it does not mean its doesn't look real. Here is the test I did a while back and posted on You Tube. The skirt moves as if it was dynamic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p-FXUsU4T0

Your the one that first taught me that method. I was so happy to see that done.
  • KimberSueKimberSue Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I second it. I have a great looking clothing in MD then when I bring it into Daz I loose all the texture setting I have and have to try to redo the texture map in Adobe or some problem. It would be nice to be able move MD to Daz without looking the fabric or textures, what ever you want to call them. :)

• SissyBSissyB Posts: 23
    edited December 1969

Hey there, i just download the trial and i was wondering if someone knows that where i could find the arrangement points for V4? it was available as freebies but since the rebuilt of the site, it disappeared...

thanks in advance

• jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

...and now with DS 4.6, collada is broken. I can no longer import my Daz models into MD2. I had an older collada version of V4 from when I did that experiment with the skirt and could still bring her in but it does me no good because I can't export any animations. DAZ, PLEASE FIX COLLADA!!!