What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Poser has only with the latest versions (Poser 9/2012 Pro & Poser 10/2014 Pro) added the ability for real plug-ins. Before they where Python scripts and yes if the script was written for a specific version of Python it might not work in another version. This is true of most scripting languages.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Poser has only with the latest versions (Poser 9/2012 Pro & Poser 10/2014 Pro) added the ability for real plug-ins. Before they where Python scripts and yes if the script was written for a specific version of Python it might not work in another version. This is true of most scripting languages.

Thanks.

That helps.

R

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Plugins are not written in script - they are written in C++ and are plumbed directly into the binary code of the application, which is why a change to the SDK breaks them until they are at least recompiled. Changes to the SDK are usually unavoidable in order to add new features - though DAZ has managed to hold the version steady through the last two versions (DS3 never forced a plugin update, and once 4.5 and the public SDK were released plugins have not needed updating). It's too soon to know what will happen with DS5.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 304
    edited December 1969

better visual controls like window, zoom in and out....like cad systems use the current interface is awkward

Better save controls I would like to save the view and open the same view from the same view point...

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

leo said:
    better visual controls like window, zoom in and out....like cad systems use the current interface is awkward
    Do you have the "View" tab showing when you run D|S? I don't think that shows up in the default layout, and it is IMHO kind of vital (been in D|S all along, ever since the very first version). That has all the camera movement controls, easier to use than the ones grouped at the top of the Viewport.
    Better save controls I would like to save the view and open the same view from the same view point...

Do you use the camera named "Perspective"? That isn't a real camera, its settings aren't saved and restored when you reload an existing scene. You have to create a new camera and look through that. It's also possible to save camera presets separate from your scenes, although again this can't save the "Perspective" camera.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Another thing I'd love to have in DS 5.0 is

1) Load up new primitive objects and then in the Scene tab select the ones you want and then right click and tell it to merge into one with an option to clean up the mesh. This would come in handy since ZBrush has a limited way of creating simple objects beside a plane and sphere and I THINK a cube.

2) Better and expanded controls for the GoZ bridge. In the last update it kinda broke the bridge and when it does work it's still kinda wonky! BUT I'd love to be able to send an obj to ZBrush texture it and then using the GoZ to bring it back to DS and have a new option to save or overwrite maps with size options. THAT would be awesome!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...better CPU management so the app doesn't get stuck in a perpetual "Not Responding" loop when applying textures to elements in a scene that has items with Smoothing "On".

A real pain having to hunt these down to turn off the smoothing.

• studiohstudioh Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

One thing that would be great in Daz 5.0 is support for Mimic Pro or an equivalent lip-sync / automatic facial expression software. This is a severe limitation of using Daz to create any kind of character animation. Also, either getting GoFigure to fix there animations to work better with Genesis Models. (:Solve the curling foot problem) or build in a better system for animating characters. Perhaps being able to use the Iclone character animation packs.

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi all, haven't read yet all the posts in here, but i'm going to... anyways these are my wishes for version 5 (apologies if they were already proposed)

1- on demand auto resizing of textures on character/scene loading to avoid massive memory problems with multiple 4kx4k textures/maps. A sort of mipmap workaround if you prefer... In a distant character render, having those textured with hi-res maps is a waste of system resources and just overkill...

2- improved Depth of Field camera settings: i'm not asking for a photo-real setup with true DOF relation with f/stop values, but something more accurate than the current behaviour would be nice.

3- True DOF regarding reflected (mirrored) images in scene. I know it's a drawback that most Z-buffer based DOF have... so probably that one would imply some major reworking (i read somewhere anyways that 3Dlight renderer is a powerful one, so possibly there already is in there a way of implementing a true raytrace DOF).

Tx! K.

• edited December 1969

A Linux Version

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

studioh said:
    One thing that would be great in Daz 5.0 is support for Mimic Pro or an equivalent lip-sync / automatic facial expression software. This is a severe limitation of using Daz to create any kind of character animation. Also, either getting GoFigure to fix there animations to work better with Genesis Models. (:Solve the curling foot problem) or build in a better system for animating characters. Perhaps being able to use the Iclone character animation packs.
    DAZ Studio 32 bit has a built in mini Lip-sync.
  • RiffulRifful Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I don't know if this idea has been brought up, because I didn't read the entire thread, but I was thinking of a way to improve the Smart Content panel. One of the biggest problems with Smart Content is the limitations of its contextual awareness (which items it lists based on your current selection). We want it to be contextual, but sometimes we need to broaden the context. In other words, sometimes I want to list JUST stuff for G2F, but more often than not, I want to ALSO list stuff from the Genesis1 group, or even V4 along with it, because I can autofit or transfer as needed. Half the time I'm browsing only getting a small portion of whats really available.

If there was a section at the top of the panel with Checkboxes for each group type, ie. [ ]Genesis1, [ ]G2F, [ ]V4, etc. then I could check the type want to include and have those items come up based on the category I have selected in the left-side-list.

You would probably need some sort of pop up area or drop down, because the list might get extensive if you include all the different characters beyond the major groups. And it could also be sensitive to what types you have in your content folders (ie. V4 but not Aiko4, M5 but not M4, G2F but not V6) Or you could have an interface preference that lists what you want to show in the tab checkboxes.

A feature like that would add a lot of usability to the Smart Contents. And it wouldn't require restructuring of the metadata, since whatever you wanted to list would only need to know what it was originally made for, and let the checkboxes do the rest.

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Jabba101 said:
    Stop being such a resource hog - Studio should only use what's available instead of trying to expand beyond capacity of machine it's running on.

O I would love a DAZ Studio where you could allocate a limit on the computer resources it uses when rendering. Yes, I know it will take longer to render, but would still be better than the time wasted with Studio crashing half a dozen times in a row trying to render a relatively simple scene.

That, and the ability to pause & resume rendering.

...I've probably mentioned these a million times before, but just had a bad bout of crashes that have frustrated me no end today (and this heatwave is not helping me stay relaxed about it)

Exactly. I would love it too. I need drop to work with things from job or drop to do rendering in DS, it is annoying. In DS rendering I'm unable to use others programs, even move files without a big lag in time of response. I would prefer a render in longer time, meanwhile I'm able to work in other important things.

You can set affinity or priority to DS so it leaves resources for other tasks at the OS level, but I agree it would be convenient to be able to do so inside DS. I'm not sure if it can be done, however, given that certain tasks require elevated privileges. Just as you could create a batch file to start CMS, then launch DS, then stop CMS when you close DS, but DS itself can't start or stop CMS.

Actually, it shouldn't be THAT difficult. A program I use to burn and convert videos has the ability to set the number of computer cores that it uses in the program, and the program is free. I believe it is called DVD Flick.
    Gus

• edited December 1969

My priorities would be:

1) A real dynamic cloths system, ideally one that can create cloths. Favorite: Marvelous Designer integrated into DS, or something similar in workflow and speed.

2) Integrated unbiased rendering with great SSS quality skin

3) Better and faster content management. Examples:
    Search in content is good but it needs to be much much faster for large runtimes - poser shows that this is possible. Content management should remember previous locations in other folders - today, switching from poses to figures and back is incredibly painful. An easy way to identify the folder an item selected in the scene or in the content management search results came from. Today, I can open the item in an OS folder, but incredibly I can't navigate to the folder in the runtime within the DAZ tool it came from. I'd also love to be able to limit searches to a particular item type, similar to the way this is done in poser.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

To limit searches click on the divider to open the file types selection:

search_by_type.jpg
    536 x 295 - 53K
    edited December 1969

..scalable backdrops.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..scalable backdrops.

To add, tiling backdrops come in handy too!

edited December 1969

...good point.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

A history of "recently opened files" and the camera to take bigger zooming steps. I need to scroll quite a bit now in order to have a peek at what I'm doing. A camera placement is not an option, as it has a set view.
    Buttons that can be plonked onto the interface with a set zoom level would be quite awesome, just to name something, so you can go back and forth just with a mouseclick :D

edited December 1969

Recent files is in the current public beta.

edited December 1969

...agreed about setting camera zoom sensitivity. I find it particularly tedious to make large camera transitions when working on a expansive scene. I know one can select an item and then click "Frame" on the camera controls, but frequently, I find the camera being viewed through ends up inside of or blocked by another object in the scene.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited December 1969

Recent files is in the current public beta.

Yay for that :D

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Oh, a simple feature but it would certainly be handy. A built in colour picker.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Cylindrical or spherical cameras for rendering panoramas and the like? Or is this one of those, 'you mean you didn't know about xxx feature?' questions?

edited August 2013

...more precise "in viewport" selection. Last night I was in the Surfaces tab checking settings before rendering and when I tired to select a specific item or prop it would often select the entire background or ground plane portion of the scene set requiring having to bounce back and forth between the Posing and Surfaces tabs for each item.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Ostadan said:
    Cylindrical or spherical cameras for rendering panoramas and the like? Or is this one of those, 'you mean you didn't know about xxx feature?' questions?

YES!!!! different camera and lense rendering effects.... fisheye and so much more!!!!

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

That DS installs with both, DS 4 "old" default content folder and DIM default content folder listed in content directory manager. That haves a potential to save some people some time and nerves and grays in the hair. :-)

edited December 1969

That DS installs with both, DS 4 "old" default content folder and DIM default content folder listed in content directory manager. That haves a potential to save some people some time and nerves and grays in the hair. :-)

It does that now, for a new install.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Oh, a simple feature but it would certainly be handy. A built in colour picker.

Isn't that what already pops up when you click a color in the surfaces tab?
    edited December 1969

...I think the request is more for one you can use in the viewport. like you can in 2D programmes.