Heads-up for BYOB Buyers of "Flirty Hair"

InkuboInkubo Posts: 742
edited October 2018 in The Commons

Flirty Hair has two install packages: supposedly one for Poser and one for DS. Unfortunately the preset to load the actual hair object only comes in the Poser package, so if you have your DIM set to show DS packages and hide Poser ones, you will see Flirty Hair in your downloads, DIM will install it, and you will see Materials presets--but that's all. Clicking on the presets won't load the hair.

To actually use the hair, you must install the Poser package as well, which may mean temporarily changing your settings on DIM's Download settings screen.

(I say "must," but in fact, checking my hidden downloads was the first thing I tried, and I found the Poser package and installed it, and it worked. For all I know, the hair model might be in the DS package as well and only a preset is lacking.)

FWIW, I think this hair is worth having, because it looks good when ColorWerks shading is applied.

Post edited by Inkubo on

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    Inkubo said:

Flirty Hair has two install packages: supposedly one for Poser and one for DS. Unfortunately the preset to load the actual hair object only comes in the Poser package, so if you have your DIM set to show DS packages and hide Poser ones, you will see Flirty Hair in your downloads, DIM will install it, and you will see Materials presets--but that's all. Clicking on the presets won't load the hair.

To actually use the hair, you must install the Poser package as well, which may mean temporarily changing your settings on DIM's Download settings screen.

This is how things used to be this is an old v4 hair so its mainly set up for Poser.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited October 2018

Sorry forum messing posts up again.

Post edited by scorpio on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

As scorpio has said, older products often come/came with so-called "companion" files. These were additional files that addressed differences between DAZ Studio and Poser, often related to material presets. Sometimes a product had a main DAZ Studio file with a Poser companion file, sometimes the other way around. For old geezers like myself that use manual downloads, the companion files were obvious since they were much smaller files. With DIM the user is removed from such details, one of the disadvantages of the "let us do that for you" approach.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited October 2018

So companion (CF) files have been replaced by full (single) DS/Poser files?

Post edited by Taoz on
  • InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

Seems like maybe DIM shouldn't have separate filtering checkboxes for Poser and DS that would let people hide files they think they don't need and thus bork up their downloads. I've returned a few products I couldn't get to work...now I wonder if some of them failed on me because I hid necessary poser files.

Regardless, now that I know what's going on, I'll know what to look for first, and hopefully I'll avoid filing unnecessary help tickets. Thanks, guys!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,342

I just posted this in another thread but I'll mention it in here to since it's reinvent. If the Poser file is about the same size as the DS file, the Poser file doesn't need to be installed. If the DS file is much smaller than the Poser file then it will need to be installed. Keep in mind this is the case a great majority of time but there could be a pack or two that break this rule.

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    Inkubo said:

(I say "must," but in fact, checking my hidden downloads was the first thing I tried, and I found the Poser package and installed it, and it worked. For all I know, the hair model might be in the DS package as well and only a preset is lacking.)

FWIW, I think this hair is worth having, because it looks good when ColorWerks shading is applied.

Flirty hair is for v4 or so so yes poser with studio material files

Now you can get Flirty hair for genesis 3 female which updates it to Genesis 3 and has studio files but no poser files.