Post Your Space Scenes

124»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

How many spheres are we talking about?

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Thousands, but that's not important. Like I said I'm interested in this particular method, alternatives are already known.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

something global using a gradient and noise I am thinking

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I have a request in via the DAZ3D BugTracker to do exactly this with the replicator, so that each replicated object has a different colour selected from a range (or it could be applied to other parameters too). But at present I'm not sure there is a way. I have managed to produce the effect on a regular array using some maths and a shader working in global space, but that restricted objects to being aligned to a global grid.

If the objects are fairly widely spaced, you could use some form of noise and a shader in global space to mimic this, as the variation on each object would be a lot less than variation between objects. I agree that it should be included as a basic function.

edited December 1969

Dittoing the replicator suggestion (and speaking of, I'd also like single axis scaling, rotation in specified increments, etc).

Maybe the Formula "brick" (or what do we call them in Carrara?) could have more parameters and functions such as the coordinates of the object being shaded, a random number generator, etc.

Looks like noise in global space is probably the way to go in this case though.

• msolomonmsolomon Posts: 209
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Zim 6

Extremely well done!

edited December 1969

Just coming back to replicators for a moment, you can add a sphere to a replicator, and then duplicate it a number of times and give each sphere a different shade or color, the replicator will randomly assign one of the different colored spheres. A bit of a manual way to do it, but better than individually coloring and placing thousands of spheres!

edited December 1969

That is the workaround I'm going for, in this case ten or so shades of gray is sufficient. I was just curious about other possibly more elegant solutions that scale better.

Yesterday I replicated 20x20 instances of Stonemason's Urban Sprawl 2 and it occurred to me that more control over rotation would be very helpful when dealing with stuff like buildings arranged in a grid.

edited August 2013

araneldon said:
    That is the workaround I'm going for, in this case ten or so shades of gray is sufficient. I was just curious about other possibly more elegant solutions that scale better.

Yesterday I replicated 20x20 instances of Stonemason's Urban Sprawl 2 and it occurred to me that more control over rotation would be very helpful when dealing with stuff like buildings arranged in a grid.

You can use the same sort of trick, by duplicating and rotating by 90 degrees (do it once and then just hit Ctrl-D and each will add a further 90 degrees rotation). Have them all within the replicator and each instance will choose a random variant.

That's going to be some big city!

Post edited by PhilW on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

MSolomon said:
    bigh said:
    Zim 6

Extremely well done!

thank you :-)
    good to see you !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    araneldon said:

You can use the same sort of trick, by duplicating and rotating by 90 degrees (do it once and then just hit Ctrl-D and each will add a further 90 degrees rotation). Have them all within the replicator and each instance will choose a random variant.

That's going to be some big city!Yes... huge city!
    I thought that I might add: For 'Figure" pieces that won't 'duplicate', inagoni's "Replica" plugin is amazing! You could use it to replicate on very customized grids, but after it's done you can manipulate each instance individually and set their shaders differently if you wish as well.

• HathatoolHathatool Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

some old pictures most of them model in Hex and render in Carrara some post work

Tau_Zero.jpg
    319 x 496 - 35K
    Alien_Planet.jpg
    410 x 307 - 39K
    New_Hope.JPG
    450 x 300 - 34K
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    araneldon said:

I know, but again the workaround becomes fairly tedious with nontrivial numbers of objects to be replicated.
    edited December 1969

hathatool, that is really cool! Great work!

araneldon said:
    PhilW said:
    araneldon said:

I know, but again the workaround becomes fairly tedious with nontrivial numbers of objects to be replicated.
    PhilW actually shows some really clever was to remove most of the tedium in his "Advanced Techniques" series. It's amazing how thoroughly distinct an outcome can be had by mixing together all of the tips he gives on this subject alone.
    edited December 1969

Me too. I'm just not wrapping my brain properly right now around what he really wants. The global thing would work in a still - but would look most odd in an animation.
    edited December 1969

Me too. I'm just not wrapping my brain properly right now around what he really wants. The global thing would work in a still - but would look most odd in an animation.

That's why we need the feature that I requested! (and for other reasons...) ;-)

• KixumKixum Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

In terms of starfields (for space scenes), I have just posted (in the free stuff over at Renderosity) a scene which allows you to render starfields with a few adjustable parameters (densities and sizes of stars). The scene is also a simple space environment which sets up a simple sky dome for GI animated rendering if you want.

I can't figure out how to post a freebie here at DAZ (it's very easy at Rendo for me) so feel free to go and get it if it's useful!

-Kix

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

what's up guys ?

http://youtu.be/RxiowDVft-Q

• DrawbridgepDrawbridgep Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Oh... and the models by Philip Drawbridge (drawbridgep) are made for Carrara and are a dream to work with. They are simple models, but with plenty of detail. They render well and render fast. Best of all... they look cool!

Just take note that everything before "Destroyer HMS August" is for Bryce, not Carrara ;)

I really should check the forum more often. Always nice to see my models in use.
    They weren't really designed for such close renders, but they look pretty cool.
    Nice work!