Can someone explain set up for Iray Canvases for Material IDs?

I can't seem to remember what the steps are for setting up Iray Canvases for Material IDs. I have a figure with clothing consisting of different parts and need to be able to select areas of a render through these material IDs.

Thank you

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Switch on Iray Canvasses in the Render Settings/Advanced tab, add a canvas, click on the Type entry toward the bottom and switch it from Beauty to Material ID.

And then render away!

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495

And it's pretty useless because it's not anti-aliased. I *really* hope that gets fixed soon.

That's what 'render really big and use gaussian blur' is for...

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, Will, I've done that and don't get an image with various colors for each material ID like I used to.

• ProtozoonProtozoon Posts: 550
    edited October 2018

Cannot check it now, not on my computer, but is there a material id color you can set on top of each shader settings in surfaces tab?

Post edited by Protozoon on

So this solved my problems beautifully! https://www.daz3d.com/oso-toon-shader-for-iray

Two figures plus all their clothing, double-click on the script for either "per object" or "per surface". I actually used both and it gave me exactly what I needed between the two.

Thanks for a great product, Will. :)

Protozoon said:

Cannot check it now, not on my computer, but is there a material id color you can set on top of each shader settings in surfaces tab?

Yeah, I had finally figured that out. The scripts saved me from doing it all manually.

And it's pretty useless because it's not anti-aliased. I *really* hope that gets fixed soon.

Yeah, I rendered at twice the size (doesn't take long) and did a bit of gaussian blur and dropped the size by half and pulled it onto my file with the beauty render. 

Cris, could you or Will explain a little more about how the Oso Toon Shaders make Material ID renders? Does it automatically apply random colors to all surfaces and render an anti-aliased image? I have it wishlisted for now, just want to find out a little more about how it works. Thanks.

edited October 2018

The Oso Toon shader has a switch to pass the Material ID color to Emission color. Then, rendering at Max Path 1, you get a nice, clean flat render with no shading. If you feel like rendering material ID as a canvas or whatever else you like, go for it.

There are also three included scripts for randomly assigning Material IDs: randomly assign one color to anything selected, assign one color per object selected, assign one color per surface selected.

Helpfully, the scripts work on any shader (that has a Material ID channel), so you can elect to use normal Iray Uber, assign random Material ID colors, and then do a Material ID canvas, if you so choose.

Note that there is, at present, a bug that causes custom shaders to use Base Color instead of Material ID when doing a Material ID canvas. If this bug is fixed, I have a faster workflow that I'll comment on in my Oso Toon thread. Fingers crossed.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited October 2018

Thanks very much. Could you remind me where Max Path settings are located? I don't have Studio readily available at the moment.

edit: never mind, I found it. Thanks again for the information.

Post edited by SnowSultan on

Hope this is clear enough!

Max Path length is one of those somewhat nonobvious things that trip people up, particularly comparing 3DL and Iray; 3DL defaults to a path length of 2, and folks often suggest bumping it to 5 or 8 for more realistic look. Iray, on the other hand, defaults to -1, which basically shuts off the parameter and uses whatever internal max bounces the renderer has (I have no idea, but it's high).

You can get some interesting results dropping max path length. At MPL 1, you will only really see emitting objects, and they will have a singular, pure color; this is the basis of getting flat color and other effects from Oso Toon. One switch sends Base Color -> Emission Color; with MPL 1, you then get an 'unrealistic' flat color look to work with.

Sure, you could laboriously copy every base color in your scene to emission color without needing Oso Toon. Muahahah.

I still have yet to find a one pass way to get a really two-tone look out of Iray. Keep needing to use a grayscale render and adjust it in post. Bah.

Optimo.png
    338 x 416 - 30K

Yeah, a lot of interesting functions go unused because no one really explains (or even knows) exactly what they do. Thanks for that information, it's fun to find out how things work and the weird results we can get by experimenting.   :)

• Lack of anti-aliasing is apparently because, when using such things in video/animation work, the pros like to have 'absolute colors'. Otherwise they can get the dreaded 'fringing'.