Carrara - Classic render images.

ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

These are classic render images from Carrara CG artists

Title: Hook
Name: Marcel Laverdet
Software: Carrara, Rhino, ZBrush

hello!... I've always love the peter pan tales, and the myth of the litle boy who didn't want to grow... with his "alter ego", hook; of course the disney movie has been a great moment, but also the spielberg movie, which goes on a more symbolic approach... here, it's just a (I hope) funny picture, with an old hook... modelled and textured in zbrush2, (background modelled in nurbs, by rhino), everything renderd in carrara 4 pro...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=205705&highlight=Carrara

Samples of what used to be done even back in the Carrara 4 days.

Comments

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

Another Marcel Classic image.

http://celmar.cgsociety.org/gallery/259543/

Hi!... a sort of remaining of the Her'bert's book, dune... well, more or less... modeled and textured in zbrush, rendered in carrara47 pro, with a typical carrara global illumination effect; just an added light on the face... thank you for viewing, and comments very welcome, as usual!...

Marcel_2.jpg
    1024 x 793 - 266K
    edited December 1969

Hello!... it's a sort of master and servant picture, trying to get the feeling of danger with the kneeled guy coming to us...mmm.. On the technical side, I've been very happy to use the new ambient occlusion function in the upcoming carrara5; As I work for the print, using radiosity is often a very theoric choice, due to render times really exploded; for 40 cm square at 300 dpi, 20 or 30 hours is really unsuitable to assignement; but with ambient occlusion, it's possible to use these very "envelopping" lights in a more friendly time!... Thank you for viewing, and for your comments!..

http://celmar.cgsociety.org/gallery/298998/

Marcel_3.jpg
    680 x 673 - 175K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Great renders and talented artists! Thank you for sharing!

Aside form Celmar, do you know if any of these other artists still using Carrara, or active in the Carrara community?

edited December 1969

3D landscape generated in Carrara 5 Pro using surface replicator & volumetric clouds from Carrara. Custom plants created in Carrara, terrains generated in GeoConrol and DCG plugins Terrain Tools & Shader Ops used. I used the late afternoon light to tie together the contrasting textures of the foliage versus the clouds and water.
    From Patrick Tuten - Carrara Artist.

http://patrick210.cgsociety.org/gallery/423913/

patrict.jpg
    1100 x 851 - 251K
    edited December 1969

First image of another project of mine..
    Made to test my skills at making digital sea - fully 3D environment with some postwork applied.
    Ship modeled with Hexagon, environment - Carrara, postwork - GIMP.
    Thx

http://popgriffon.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Piotro.jpg
    1200 x 701 - 193K
    edited December 1969

Geo- control was used for the main terrain mesh and Modo also used for the sculpting of the spires and archways. Rendered in Carrara 5 pro , slight contrast adjustments in Photoshop.
    Thanks for taking a peek ! Michael.

http://palantion.cgsociety.org/gallery/694219/

MichaelDouglas.jpg
    1400 x 796 - 286K
    edited December 1969

Here's a simple classic composition: Green apples, a weathered silver bowl with a jingle bell. The perspective in this one is more or less at eye level. Three point lights, my usual recipe. Happy holidays everyone

http://jrandall.cgsociety.org/gallery/708764/

Randy.jpg
    720 x 602 - 96K
    edited December 1969

Aside form Celmar, do you know if any of these other artists still using Carrara, or active in the Carrara community?

Many have moved on to other software.

The old Eovia website had an excellent Carrara user Gallery that had all of these images and more but none of those images got transfer to DAZ 3D.

I may have to go and talk to the artist see if they would like to join this forum.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

The old Eovia website had an excellent Carrara user Gallery that had all of these images and more but none of those images got transfer to DAZ 3D.

I may have to go and talk to the artist see if they would like to join this forum.

great idea :)
    good work like this raises the bar and begets even better work
    thanks for sharing
    I hope you are going to put a wip in the latest challenge :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:

great idea :)
    good work like this raises the bar and begets even better work
    thanks for sharing
    I hope you are going to put a wip in the latest challenge :)

Hi,

I was looking at the latest challenge and sounds like lots of fun. I will sure try my best to put a WIP.

More Carrara classics coming soon.

edited August 2013

Hi,

I was looking at the latest challenge and sounds like lots of fun. I will sure try my best to put a WIP.

More Carrara classics coming soon.

thank you looking forward to that :)

the challenges are about building a community spirit and also about building awareness of the great Carrara Pa's we have available.
    Not just about winning.

But to paraphrase Evilproducer "everyone who learns just a little wins a lot " :)

Not saying you have anything to learn mind you. The battle ship render is really something.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing this stuff, and the cool history thread as well, Ringo! Very, Very cool!

edited December 1969

Modeled in Hexagon and rendered in Carrara 5 pro version, Light settings on global illumination, I added a HDRI sky map , i originaly was going to have a different POV with the sky visable but later decided this was the better of the two ! also Texture UV mapping and usage of Carraras replicator function with small pebbles on the cobblestone roadway.
    I have never been to Spain or arround the region, i did not use any reference photos it was just one of those unplanned projects that had one additions after another !
    Well hopefull a few comments would sure be nice . thanks for taking a peek : Michael.

http://palantion.cgsociety.org/gallery/384286/

193306_1264901617_large.jpg
    1170 x 926 - 463K
    edited December 1969

I hope every one achieves their goals for the new year.
    Prometheous was modeled in a modeling software called Hexagon and then rendered in Carrara 4 pro.
    Mat backgroud was compiled in Corel paint 12 and Photoshop 7 along with the aid of a Wacom graphire3/intous2 drawing tablet.
    Thanks for taking time out to view my image, or if you would like leave a comment that would sure be nice.
    Take care : Michael.

http://palantion.cgsociety.org/gallery/306483/

193306_1136250135.jpg
    1024 x 794 - 177K
    edited December 1969

Ringo, do you know?
    Did Carrara first get its Vertex Modeler in version 5 (pro?), or was it just greatly overhauled?
    I remember Jack making a big deal about it.

So... I see that it's no new thing for the artist to perform the modeling operations in Hexagon and then render in Carrara.

It kind of eludes me as to why I would even begin to protest this workflow - being a bit of a software junkie (well, now more of an ex-software junkie). There are quite a few inexpensive modeling apps out there that are very different and very cool - yet there is now a true competitor in the line up that is utterly Free! And doing very well against a very fast-growing environment of modelers, it seems.

I have even downloaded and installed the latest Blender. It look beautiful - very elegant in deign and layout, with an amazing array of features to access easily from a main, central region - which I like. As for modeling in it (or anything else, other than just looking around) I am completely clueless - as I still use Carrara for ALL of my modeling. So far I've not done anything even close to being as adventurous as the beautiful work you're posting in here - and I'm noticing that the text in each post are not 'your' words but those from the post in which you've found the image - which I think is very cool - but might throw some people a bit! lol But still... I've done enough modeling in Carrara to know that it certainly CAN handle the creation of highly complex mesh. Have you done modeling yourself? Just curious - Always curious! ;)

edited December 1969

Ringo, do you know?
    Did Carrara first get its Vertex Modeler in version 5 (pro?), or was it just greatly overhauled?
    I remember Jack making a big deal about it.

So... I see that it's no new thing for the artist to perform the modeling operations in Hexagon and then render in Carrara.

It kind of eludes me as to why I would even begin to protest this workflow - being a bit of a software junkie (well, now more of an ex-software junkie). There are quite a few inexpensive modeling apps out there that are very different and very cool - yet there is now a true competitor in the line up that is utterly Free! And doing very well against a very fast-growing environment of modelers, it seems.

I have even downloaded and installed the latest Blender. It look beautiful - very elegant in deign and layout, with an amazing array of features to access easily from a main, central region - which I like. As for modeling in it (or anything else, other than just looking around) I am completely clueless - as I still use Carrara for ALL of my modeling. So far I've not done anything even close to being as adventurous as the beautiful work you're posting in here - and I'm noticing that the text in each post are not 'your' words but those from the post in which you've found the image - which I think is very cool - but might throw some people a bit! lol But still... I've done enough modeling in Carrara to know that it certainly CAN handle the creation of highly complex mesh. Have you done modeling yourself? Just curious - Always curious! ;)

Carrara's vertex modeler was greatly improve in version 5 as many of the Hexagon tools and features were added to the VM. This made modeling much easier in Carrara.

edited December 1969

I love it. And much more, now that I can model in the assembly room. For some reason, Carrara's navigation in 3d space, while I'm modeling just has a very natural feel to it - and I love it! Now I just want to get the rest of the world to try it.

edited December 1969

Dart, if I recall correctly, the Raydream Studio 5 had a vertex modeler as well as the Spline modeler. Most of the deformers were there, as well as the modifiers.

I even recall using a 3D paint function in Raydream and of course the shape layer thing as well.

edited December 1969

Dart, if I recall correctly, the Raydream Studio 5 had a vertex modeler as well as the Spline modeler. Most of the deformers were there, as well as the modifiers.

I even recall using a 3D paint function in Raydream and of course the shape layer thing as well.

You are correct. There use to be a Painter3D application that would bridge or save files for RayDream Studio and Poser.
    One thing that I also remember is that RayDream Studio would use Photoshop plugins and could use the KAI power tools for some effects.

edited December 1969

You are correct. There use to be a Painter3D application that would bridge or save files for RayDream Studio and Poser.
    One thing that I also remember is that RayDream Studio would use Photoshop plugins and could use the KAI power tools for some effects.

My memory is getting fuzzy with age and not having used Raydream for years, but every once in awhile while skimming the C7 manual, I'll come across an illustration that I could swear was in the Raydream manual! It's amazing to me how much of the UI is preserved. The controls for the behaviors and deformers, some of the editors, such as the DOF, the spline editor, etc. It's kind of eerie sometimes.

• edited August 2013

LOL

http://www.digitalproducer.com/pages/metacreations_announces_ray_drea.htm

$349 in 1999 :-O Wishes i still had my box & discs, would be great to try to get 5.5 working again tee hee

:-D

Ray_5.5_.jpg
    200 x 200 - 10K
    Post edited by pscammp_2e78c43842 on
    edited September 2016

some terrific work in this thread, worth a revisit, though the links are dead unfortunately

Post edited by Headwax on