Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

Horo said:
    I've played around a bit with trees. They are quite versatile. Sorry, no dragon :lol:

Wow . 10/10 stars. It's better without dragons or dinosaurs or bears .Peaceful and quiet as should be in some wonderful forests.

Looks like a frame/image from the "Planet Earth" epic documentary, Emmy Award winner (highly recommended).. There is an episode related to forests.I"ve watched them all 10 or 11 episodes.One of the best/highest rated on IMDB, 9.5/10 (Avatar movie has 7.9/10).

oh, did i said Avatar ? Interesting fauna and flora in Avatar for some cool Bryce renders :) .I think there are no free avatar flora models over the internet, need modelling some similar ones by an expert in modelling vegetation, such as Yughues aka Nobiax » Sharecg. Or in boolean in bryce.Ripping models from "avatar the game" it's illegal if redistributed i think.

Thank you David and all for inhabitable planets comments.I'm glad you like the "scanning" and technical effects.Credits for these awesome tech brushes packs goes to Z-design from Deviant Art.I got all the 6 packs/brushes sets.

Post edited by cris333 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Nice scene, though as dark as everything is would the foreground horse shadow be as intense? So are you trying to tell us that's really a...horse fly?

@Dave: Love the doodle. Hopefully I'll doodle as well one day.

@David: I believe I like the scene without the DOF. Without DOF my eye has a better chance of interpreting what is being seen.

@Rareth: Both of those images are great. The blue really brings out the color of the objects.

@Horo: I'm with everyone, some could take that image as a photo. Excellent work, and a nice place to visit.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Had a play with Topmod. https://code.google.com/p/topmod/

Made it crash - a lot. Finally made something and exported it.

Topmod1.jpg
    850 x 600 - 262K
    edited August 2013

Had a play with Topmod. https://code.google.com/p/topmod/

Made it crash - a lot. Finally made something and exported it.

very interesting looks like a fruit basket. :)

River Delta (8pm) for Bryce

free to download and play with it http://www.sharecg.com/v/71095/view/5/3D-Model/River-Delta-8pm-for-Bryce

Warning: Very high poly (lvl6) .obj sculpted by me as river delta and imported into Bryce.Couldn't export as height map due to negative (deep) sculpted water channels.Final image photoshoped.

Don't you hear the crickets ? :lol:

River_Delta_(8pm)_terrain.jpg
    1000 x 578 - 106K
    River_Delta_(8pm)_for_Bryce_final_photoshop.jpg
    950 x 712 - 164K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited August 2013

@Horo.
    Can you put me out of my misery. and tell me which trees/plants are 3d objects.
    I'm guessing the 2 plants in the foreground and the ground cover between the logs on the floor
    and the background image. It's really hard to tell.

Post edited by StuartB on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

Yes, Stuart (and Horo), my initial thoughts were that the background (and horizontal plants) were photographs placed in the render, and not actual objects, and that the original objects really included were those of the plants in the foreground. I took it on this basis, as done, and as an accomplished, rendered work.

criss..gorgeous - dare I say, an atumnal view...hint of the upcoming season?

Jay.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

more.. um... metalwork, yeah lets go with that..

Washed-up.jpg
    768 x 768 - 495K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@David - interestinc basket.

@Rareth - nice metalwork.

@cris333 - great mood. On a river delta, aren't the riverbanks more flat? My experience is limited to the Danub delta where it flows into the Black Sea.

@All - thank you for your kind comments on my experiment.

@Stuart - the 10 trees used are identified by the default grey.

BushHdrMix-z.jpg
    600 x 450 - 118K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    more.. um... metalwork, yeah lets go with that..

Sweeeeeeeeet! I seriously love everything to do with Transformers. I look forward to Mark Wahlberg as Witwicky. Am I spelling everything wrong? Anyhow, very nice work!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Horo, that render is very nice!

Everyone,
    Fantastic work going on here. Keep it up!

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, really nice image and really hard to tell.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the replies everyone, actually all the thanks should go to David B. as his tutorials are a huge inspiration.

Here is another Transformers image. happier with the background and how it turned out, the Object still needs work, and I haven't used any DOF yet..

decepticons.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited August 2013

Well I finally had a little more time to spend on this, so I imported the Zena V4 character and the Miss Dee Anna J outfit with my own textures. When I first rendered this I had Zena further back into that gap in the forest, but the because of her skin colour and the camouflage she's wearing the photographer became very hard to spot. That made me laugh, the camouflage pattern is one of my own designs...

Don't forget to click to see the image full size. I'm not sure yet, but I may have time to finish this image at the weekend, if so I'll be sure to post it here. Then you'll get to see what Zena is so keen to photograph. ;-)

On-The-Move-Stage-04.jpg
    1876 x 844 - 366K
    Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited August 2013

Jamahoney said:

criss..gorgeous - dare I say, an atumnal view...hint of the upcoming season?

Jay.
    Thank you Jay.About the next project ,well ,this was my last started project and never finished till today.I have another one from few months ago but requires a lot work, it suppose to be an alien planet surface with some weird trees with phosphorescent fruits :lol: but at the moment i have to finish a small pdf guide for my craters pack :)

@cris333 - great mood. On a river delta, aren't the riverbanks more flat? My experience is limited to the Danub delta where it flows into the Black Sea.

Thank you very much Horo.
    Me too ,only Danube Delta i know it.
    Very true, well i got a "bad habit" when creating/modelling terrains . I make them a bit taller/higher than should be.Sometimes it's a good thing sometimes it's bad.The good part is Bryce can resize/Flatten the terrains with more interesting results (craters).
    Sometimes when creating a terrain and i/m trying hundreds of fractal erosion versions/combinations , looking at the clock i see more than 4 hours has gone and i have to finish somehow :)

This delta was sculpted in mudbox and i guess the stamp was to strong.The scene is on sharecg and the terrain can be flatten . I come to the point that "Ihave to finish it somehow and i'm not gonna stay forever to this project" :lol:
    Whats done is done :)

edited December 1969

Urban Sprawl... just a terrain and a material

futurecity.jpg
    800 x 800 - 582K
    edited December 1969

A bit dark but quite crowded with houses. I first took them for integrated circuits with the pins up.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

A mammoth render (for me)... This one took 24 hours, mostly thanks to David's 'Breakers' water material being applied to a terrain I think.
    Having said that, the water has come out looking very good. :)

And to be fair, I've cropped nearly half of the render off (the full render has a little island in the foreground with a lighthouse on it, but it didn't look quite right).

NewIslandSkyShip.jpg
    646 x 650 - 319K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A mammoth render (for me)... This one took 24 hours, mostly thanks to David's 'Breakers' water material being applied to a terrain I think.

And to be fair, I've cropped nearly half of the render off (the full render has a little island in the foreground with a lighthouse on it, but it didn't look quite right).

Arrr it's a pirate ghost ship, sailing all by itself.

Seriously, nice render. :coolsmile:

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: A really neat looking object you've created.

@Rareth: Love the results you're getting.

@Fire Angle: Figure is looking right home with the green outfit.

@Dave: Oh, yes, water looks great. Or is it the ship looks great? Or the mountain? Or the clouds? Or the hills? Maybe the whole scene looks great. :lol:

edited December 1969

Looks really good, that is awesome

edited December 1969

ok I took another attempt at my "Urban sprawl" image, redid the materials from scratch, totally different camera angle. Same terrain object scaled on the y axis a bit more.

now its less massive city and more Science complex...

futurecity2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 439K
    edited August 2013

OK, stole some more time for Bryce today. Zena's been moved out of cover slightly and maybe she ought to step back a bit... Before the image is done I hope to get a few more of those beasties in to make up a herd.

On-The-Move-Stage-07.jpg
    1876 x 844 - 499K
    Post edited by Fire Angel on
    edited August 2013

@TheSavage64 - rough sea, no wonder the skipper is downstairs reverse eating. Great render, though.

@Rareth - I agree, it looks like a modern university. Good use of the Simplon HDRI.

@Fire Angel - looks great. I would expect to see some footprints on the sand - or is it concrete?

Post edited by Horo on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Dave, if I sound like a broken record it's your own fault for producing such an endless stream of wonderfully crafted renders.

Rareth, excellent use of materials and lighting and terrains. Your last render in particular has an uncanny plausibility about it, the lighting is pushing it into the realms of photo-reality. And the structure is very interesting.

Fire Angel's scene is building nicely, it looks very complex and lush. The camera position, when taking into account the eyeline of the figure on the left puts the viewer close to the ground. This is an unusual choice, particularly if you want the creatures on the right to appear large. I can offer some advice on that score if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Bryce Basics - Composition part 1: How big is that thing? - by David Brinnen

Bryce Basics - Composition part 2: Really how big is that thing? - by David Brinnen

Bryce Basics - Composition part 3: Is that thing big? - by David Brinnen

Bryce Basics - Composition part 4: Is that thing really big? - by David Brinnen

Bryce Basics - Composition part 4b: Another version why? - by David Brinnen

Bryce Basics - Composition part 5: Using Golden Rules Composition Helpers - by David Brinnen

edited August 2013

@ Horo, thanks for your comments

@David, you can probably guess how I got the structure, it's a Terrain Object, and simply adjusting the y axis scale makes useful for all kinds of things.
    the lighting is from the HDRI and it did a good job bringing the image together.

block_terrain.jpg
    1047 x 697 - 210K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@Rareth, your urban sprawl science complex is pretty cool!
    It does seem like the top gets a little cut off on the right side there, only because one expects the windows to have a frame on the top. A carefully placed and stretched cube could probably sub for a window frame in a pinch if needed without requiring tricky adjustment of the material. Still cool either way.
    @FireAngel, I like the scene, but I agree with Horo that the ground could do with some texture in places. It doesn't need much, just a touch. I like the featureless flat plain in general, it reminds me somewhat of the endless miles of flatness of salt flats I've hiked on. (interestingly the salt flats, while perfectly flat from a distance, actually had a network of inches-high ridges, kind of like a negative of cracked mud.). The previously mentioned footprints are a good idea. It might also be rougher by the vegetation as roots and expanding trunks could have pushed the ground up and outward a little, wind may have blown dirt up against the trunks, critters digging around for food may have torn up the ground there, etc.
    @TheSavage64, how did you get that soft look for your pirate ship render? Is it a little bit of haze, or postwork, or the combination of materials used? (or my eyes...?)
    @cris333, I like the sunset on the river delta. Very relaxing.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TheSavage64 - rough sea, no wonder the skipper is downstairs reverse eating. Great render, though.

@Rareth - I agree, it looks like a modern university. Good use of the Simplon HDRI.

@Fire Angel - looks great. I would expect to see some footprints on the sand - or is it concrete?

At the moment it's the Bryce default material, and the landscape will stay that way until all the other elements are in place. Like most of us I sometimes need to do a lot of test renders and to keep them fast some elements are best left untextured until the scene is properly arranged. Sometimes I will add a simple green or sand colour to a landscape element to better judge the way a scene is developing, but the anti-aliasing pass on that image will be very long once the ground elements have a proper material on them.

edited December 1969

@Rareth, your urban sprawl science complex is pretty cool!
    It does seem like the top gets a little cut off on the right side there, only because one expects the windows to have a frame on the top. A carefully placed and stretched cube could probably sub for a window frame in a pinch if needed without requiring tricky adjustment of the material. Still cool either way..

if it was multiple objects, it would be an easy fix indeed, but as it is one terrain object with a procedural texture, and the height varies, getting the windows placed just right across the entire are becomes near impossible.. but you could use the terrain object as a City backdrop and use depth of field to fuzz out the little imperfections like that.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64, how did you get that soft look for your pirate ship render? Is it a little bit of haze, or postwork, or the combination of materials used? (or my eyes...?)

It's a combination of things. Firstly, the lighting is quite soft (a bit of IBL from the HDRI sky and a bit of Bryce Sun, all with soft shadows at 100). Then the rest is the result of exporting the image as an HDR file.
    When it is opened in Photoshop, it needs converting from 36 bit back down to 8 bit and the various controls supplied by Photoshop to do this can if used delicately (which I don't always to do), result in a nice soft render with a lot more detail retained than saving the image in any other format.
This discussion has been closed.