Ultimate question on content placement

Horo's Bryce Content FAQ helped me greatly while installing Bryce, but i'm still puzzled about where exactly to install custom content every time (daz store products, freebies, etc.)

As i see, i have "main" Bryce 7 folder and i have "content" Bryce folder in different place (from BryceContent installer), that's clear.

What i don't get, is in which of these two folders we should place stuff? I see that main Bryce folder has important "Presets" folder while content folder has models, textures, hdri, lights, lense, tutorials folder.

Now, for example, i've recently got East Coast HDRi set from daz (btw someone need to state in this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22811/east-coast-hdri-tutorial-installation that everything is fixed now)

Which has structure Presets\Content\David Brinnen\East Coast\Presets and then folders like Tutorial, Scene Files, Materials, HDRI

Do i understand right that i need to place Materials folder into main Bryce folder while everything else can be placed in "bryce content" folder? As i understood from Horo's faq, only brushes, leaves, materials, objects, skies, textures, trees and treeshapes must be in main Bryce folder, while scenes, hdris, etc. could be anywhere (so likely in BryceContent folder)

That means "tearing apart" every time, dividing folders from product

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited October 2018

akmerlow - it all sounds confusing because for Daz Studio and Poser content it is different and sometimes Daz 3D finds it clever to offer a version that can be installed via DIM. It will never work for Bryce. Also the idea of one or several Content folder(s) in the main Bryce folder is only confusing. I also have a Content folder in the Bryce main folder with several sub-folders including yet another Content folder. Everything in there can be anywhere provided you can find it. Exceptins are: Brushes (brp), Leaves (lps), Materials (mat), Objects (obp), Skies (bsk), Textures (brt), Trees (bto) and Treeshapes (tps). If the sets you purchased has files with any of those file extensions, move them to the appropriate sub-folder in Presets. Everything else, also Studio and Poser content can be where you want (and find) them.

The structure Presets\Content\David Brinnen\East Coast\Presets and then folders like Tutorial, Scene Files, Materials, HDRI is not helpful. Except what is in the Materials sub-folder can be anywhere. To put this folder structure under Presets is not clever. If you ever re-install Bryce, the content of the Presets folder will be overwritten and you lose everything. Make a backup copy the Presets folder to a save location so you can move your files with purchased and self made assets back.

'That means "tearing apart" every time, dividing folders from product' - Exactly. You have the liberty to create your own sub-sub-folders within the appropriate sub-folder under Presets, e.g. Bryce\Presets\Objects\akmerlow\ and put all obp files you wish in there. This is a great option to organise your self-made and purchased stuff. Under the Objects sub-folder, I have 24 sub-folders, under Materials 28 ...

Post edited by Horo on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited October 2018

Yeah, coming from Poser/Daz, where 99% of content are fixed in "My Library" and/or "Runtime" with fixed subfolders under them,  and which exist only in one place by default, it's confusing.. 

Thanks for answer and tips, i'll try not to be lost in folders :)

Speaking of content, can anyone comment on following products?

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-5-0-content-pack

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-5-5-content-kit-volume-1

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-6-bonus-pack

I'm also somehow remind how some user many times stated that he/she was converting some old bryce mats to bryce 7 "because those were good metacreations mats that were more useful  than what daz3d included in base bryce7" or smth like that, i wonder which mats he/she meant...

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited October 2018
    Horo said:

akmerlow - it all sounds confusing because for Daz Studio and Poser content it is different and sometimes Daz 3D finds it clever to offer a version that can be installed via DIM. It will never work for Bryce. Also the idea of one or several Content folder(s) in the main Bryce folder is only confusing. I also have a Content folder in the Bryce main folder with several sub-folders including yet another Content folder. Everything in there can be anywhere provided you can find it. Exceptins are: Brushes (brp), Leaves (lps), Materials (mat), Objects (obp), Skies (bsk), Textures (brt), Trees (bto) and Treeshapes (tps). If the sets you purchased has files with any of those file extensions, move them to the appropriate sub-folder in Presets. Everything else, also Studio and Poser content can be where you want (and find) them.

The structure Presets\Content\David Brinnen\East Coast\Presets and then folders like Tutorial, Scene Files, Materials, HDRI is not helpful. Except what is in the Materials sub-folder can be anywhere. To put this folder structure under Presets is not clever. If you ever re-install Bryce, the content of the Presets folder will be overwritten and you lose everything. Make a backup copy the Presets folder to a save location so you can move your files with purchased and self made assets back.

'That means "tearing apart" every time, dividing folders from product' - Exactly. You have the liberty to create your own sub-sub-folders within the appropriate sub-folder under Presets, e.g. Bryce\Presets\Objects\akmerlow\ and put all obp files you wish in there. This is a great option to organise your self-made and purchased stuff. Under the Objects sub-folder, I have 24 sub-folders, under Materials 28 ...

HORO, experience shows that folders with files like *.bto and *.lps can be located anywhere on any disk, as when searching for these files, a standard dialog window opens.
    Moreover, I created several user files *.bto, put them in the folder "D:\Programs\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\Trees\MyBryceTrees". Although I can put them anywhere, and by Alt-Click on the tree icon, find them on the disk.
    In order to bring up a dialog for searching for *.lps files, I do Alt-Click in the Tree Lab by the leaf type call icon and I get through the dialog window here: "D:\Programs\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\Leaves\Installed". Although I can find *.lps files anywhere.
    But I do not know how to create *.lps files. Maybe you know?

Post edited by Slepalex on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    akmerlow said:

Yeah, coming from Poser/Daz, where 99% of content are fixed in "My Library" and/or "Runtime" with fixed subfolders under them,  and which exist only in one place by default, it's confusing.. 

Thanks for answer and tips, i'll try not to be lost in folders :)

Speaking of content, can anyone comment on following products?

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-5-0-content-pack

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-5-5-content-kit-volume-1

https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-6-bonus-pack

I'm also somehow remind how some user many times stated that he/she was converting some old bryce mats to bryce 7 "because those were good metacreations mats that were more useful  than what daz3d included in base bryce7" or smth like that, i wonder which mats he/she meant...

I still use Bryce 5 mats in Bryce 7 without any converting.

edited October 2018
    akmerlow said:

Do not need to convert materials from older versions of Bryce. All materials open in Bryce 7 and work great!

As for the links you specify, these are custom products that are not included in the standard bundle of Bryce presets. They have to be bought for some money. Each advanced user of Bryce creates tons of his presets, which he can sell.
    All these presets work perfectly in Bryce7.

Post edited by Slepalex on

Good to know, but question was more about "what are those legacy materials and why they were included with old bryce and why some users prefer them instead" :)

akmerlow said:

Good to know, but question was more about "what are those legacy materials and why they were included with old bryce and why some users prefer them instead" :)

Your question does not make sense, since all materials, textures and so on from older versions are included in Bryce 7.
    "and why some users prefer them instead" - never again repeat this stupidity. I, for example, do not know such users. 

I see, sorry for being mislead.

Found the culprit! I mean, that was the post i didn't understand well:

Navim said:

Also I find that a lot of materials in Bryce 5 somehow did not find their way forward into 7. As a result of this I find myself making forays back into vers. 5 to find and use the mats which were developed by some of the original Carpenteria gang who knew what they were doing!  As to the current time had it not been for the awesome mats from Horo I probably would have gone back to solitare.

From here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/142951/a-short-history-of-bryce

1) As said above, no converting needed (my super mistake)

2) The question of "all old stuff is still included" is... not closed.

akmerlow said:

Found the culprit! I mean, that was the post i didn't understand well:

Navim said:

Also I find that a lot of materials in Bryce 5 somehow did not find their way forward into 7. As a result of this I find myself making forays back into vers. 5 to find and use the mats which were developed by some of the original Carpenteria gang who knew what they were doing!  As to the current time had it not been for the awesome mats from Horo I probably would have gone back to solitare.

From here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/142951/a-short-history-of-bryce

1) As said above, no converting needed (my super mistake)

2) The question of "all old stuff is still included" is... not closed.

This is a false statement of Mr. Navim. I have on the CD Corel Bryce 5, which I used since 2001 and can assure you that all the presets that are there are safely migrated to Bryce 7 Pro.

edited October 2018

Ok, thanks for clarification!

As for those old "Content packs", hoped for some user  impressions to read (also considering how  some of they dont have pictures on store page, just a list at best) as in my eyes currently it's more likely for users to support Horo, David and RajRaja (?) products instead. (i still feel bad i was too late for Estevez products and others who are gone now from store)

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,119

akmerlow - yes, Slepalex is right about the lps and bto files and also about the Bryce 5 presets - even the Bryce 4 presets still work in Bryce 7.1.