Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

The grass looks excellent. The tree lab has been very unkind to you from the beginning. I remember the crashes you've reported. I've never had any issue with it.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2013

Horo said:
    The grass looks excellent. The tree lab has been very unkind to you from the beginning. I remember the crashes you've reported. I've never had any issue with it.

Thanks yes, just need to get the render time down. Keep only what is essential. Here's another version that is about 3 times more efficient.

Edit going down this route... and with a distant terrain background and a Stanford Dragon (any image can be improved with the inclusion of a Standford Dragon).

Baselayer9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 489K
    Baselayer7.jpg
    600 x 600 - 313K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

(any image can be improved with the inclusion of a Standford Dragon).

:lol:
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    (any image can be improved with the inclusion of a Standford Dragon).

:lol:

And DOF. Let this render while I cooked tea. Tuna, peas and potato pie, if anyone is curious.

Baselayer9dof.jpg
    850 x 850 - 248K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2013

Grass looks like a copy of the original (map/mat??) was placed on top of another, but with a slight vertical displacement - too many repetatives grasses in this direction.

Cheers

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Grass looks like a copy of the original (map/mat??) was placed on top, but with a slight vertical displacement - too many repetatives grasses in this direction.

Cheers

Along those lines. But I was thinking more like a bean field than grass. We have those here and they look a lot like this.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Grass looks like a copy of the original (map/mat??) was placed on top of another, but with a slight vertical displacement - too many repetatives grasses in this direction.

Cheers

The last Grass tutorial of David's that I did was done using a volume material, it looks like that is what is going on here, but he's obviously improved on it a lot..

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

David; sounds good fly dinner over will you...and the renders look nice also

edited December 1969

David; sounds good fly dinner over will you...and the renders look nice also

Thanks though I should warn you I am not a great cook. I can only really cook one thing well, Yorkshire Puds.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Yorkshire+pudding&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tLQCUuvZIsuZ0AX34IDgAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=989

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Along those lines. But I was thinking more like a bean field than grass. We have those here and they look a lot like this.

I agree that this one looks too uniformly vertically repetitive. It gives the impression of a double exposure on a camera.
    If there were some horizontal blades of long grass sticking up and breaking up the pattern a bit more, it would lessen the effect and look better. :)

The one the previous page looks very good like a clover infested lawn.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited August 2013

cool wet effect at the bottom of the crater :) and awesome grass or plants field David.
    I can't finish the Republic campaign from Caesar IV so back to Bryce to an old project .
    Inhabitable Planets for Bryce
    Free for download http://www.sharecg.com/v/71056/view/5/3D-Model/Inhabitable-Planets-for-Bryce

In the Andromeda galaxy and not only, there are billions and billions of planets and unfortunately, the life (as we know it) can not be sustained on these due to very harsh conditions, such as gamma radiation from supernovae or hypernovae, sulphurous atmoshpere, high temperature on the surface ,higher than 200 °C, etc.Are we really alone in the Universe ?
    “The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.” - Carl Sagan

Final images are ,ofc, photoshoped ;). Have fun with the scene,improve it ,there are 2 hidden Sulphurous and Radiation spheres effect (see the Hint image) , terrain 1024 made by me,1 vertical slab, no HDR used.Do not delete Distant Light 1 unless you really need it for a clearer sky.
    5 memory dots(Views) saved with different camera angles.

Inhabitable_Planets_for_Bryce_for_photoshop_2.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 193K
    Inhabitable_Planets_wireframe.jpg
    1004 x 520 - 295K
    Inhabitable_Planets_for_Bryce_final_photoshop.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 266K
    Post edited by cris333 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much.

@David: What's next? Well, now that the tower is assembled I need to try and put together the scene that's slowly forming in my mind. While the tower looks nice, it needs company. And as soon as I can sit down and work on it I will. As to your new grass scenes, love the tree and globe in the first image, but you've done better grass. And the scenes with the dragon, the first looks like the camera jarred a bit when the picture was taken. But the others do look like bean plants, to a degree. I can even imagine the next to the last being a small forest. Or...my yard after all the rain we've received, preventing me from giving it a nice haircut. If I don't get to it soon, anyone walking into the yard will need a flair gun so someone can guide them out.

@cris: Those are really neat looking images. The terrain is awfully nice.

edited December 1969

Still just doodling... got work at the moment that's taking me away from the house and haven't had time to do much in depth stuff.

NewIslandSky.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 262K
    edited December 1969

Dave; very nice doodle!!

I am just playing with my new horse...Thanks to everyone for the help!!!

horses10.jpg
    1648 x 819 - 830K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the feedback folks. OK here's the next iteration. The render time overhead has gone up, but it has allowed for some more "grassy" elements to be included. I've also rotated and scattered the "clover" leaves some more.

Cris333, nice overlay graphics. I always seem to like that effect.

Great doodle Dave, the clouds have worked out well.

Bullit35744, Got your models in and textures sorted, well done. The horse on the right though, seems to be floating?

Baselayer10dof.jpg
    850 x 850 - 439K
    edited December 1969

David; that's because he is magical...LOL no its because I missed dinner last night the concord didn't show....I see it now he does look off the ground,you know I can look and look and not see things....Thanks Trish

edited December 1969

@cris333 - looking interesting.

@TheSavage64 - nicely done, not so sure about the material on the island, but the sky looks fantastic.

@bullit35744 - nice setup. Watch the shadows, they tell you when an object is on the ground or above it.

@David - the clover looks fine, the DOF hides things, if there's anything to hide.

edited December 1969

adjusted the camera angle to hide the fact the Background HDRI image (not one of Horo's one of the DAZ supplied ones) is not cooperating with DOF

Metal-testDof1.jpg
    900 x 900 - 580K
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the feedback folks. OK here's the next iteration. The render time overhead has gone up, but it has allowed for some more "grassy" elements to be included. I've also rotated and scattered the "clover" leaves some more.

That looks great now. 300% improvement... Also love the massive variation in colour you get in the material... very natural.

Is this a future product or will there be a video tutorial? :)

edited December 1969

@Rareth - much improved. The blue backdrop contrasts nicely with the colour of the object. Then it's an HDRI by Keith Bruns.

edited August 2013

That looks great now. 300% improvement... Also love the massive variation in colour you get in the material... very natural.

Is this a future product or will there be a video tutorial? :)

Thanks Dave, yeah well Horo said, lets make our next project "vegetation" And I said. OK... in a slightly apprehensive way. But here we are. It's a bit of a struggle, as you might imagine, life would have been so much simpler (for me) if I could have persuaded the powers that be to out instancing under DTE control. Some weird and wonderful things might have been possible. But as things stand, me and IL are yet to make friends. Peter has shown incredible things are possible, it is true, but I prefer to control things through procedural functions rather than painting - call me lazy if you like.

Horo, here without DOF. Not much to be gained in terms of speed, the AA pass is rather slow what with all the transparencies. Actual geometry in this scene, aside from the dragon, 4 x planes and 3 x terrains.

Edit forgot to say (click on the image to see full sized)

And... Rareth, that's a stunningly good render. I think anyone would be pressed to do better in any render engine.

Baselayer11.jpg
    850 x 850 - 499K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TheSavage64 - nicely done, not so sure about the material on the island, but the sky looks fantastic.

I agree, looking at it now (on this office monitor instead of my Laptop), the material used for the island is set too high frequency. It looks better rougher on the smaller island. I think I was concentrating too much on getting some more green. The base of the material is David's Canyon and Vegetation with some amount of tweaking of colours, slope control and frequencies.

Of course the sky looks fantastic, I think it's one of yours (It's the HDRI from the pre rendered HDRI sky set I bought the other week with a bit of pinkish Bryce haze added). :)

edited December 1969

I've played around a bit with trees. They are quite versatile. Sorry, no dragon :lol:

With10.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 319K
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I've played around a bit with trees. They are quite versatile. Sorry, no dragon :lol:

Now that really would fool most people into thinking it's a photo. Proof it it were needed that Bryce can do photorealism.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Now that really would fool most people into thinking it's a photo. Proof it it were needed that Bryce can do photorealism.
    Absolutely!! I feel like I'm standing right there in the forest. Great render Horo. :-)
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

That's gorgeous now, David....love it...so natural. As, too, with your work, Horo...a wood to explore and discover.

Jay

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Just Incredible.. that is an amazingly good render.

edited December 1969

David and Horo thank you for your comments.

and For David, I replaced the Wings3d Object with the Stanford Dragon.

Metal-Dragon.jpg
    900 x 900 - 547K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    David and Horo thank you for your comments.

and For David, I replaced the Wings3d Object with the Stanford Dragon.

Really special Rareth... perfect. :)

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Clever stuff and great results Horo. :)

This discussion has been closed.