Paint across UVs: Is possible?

ImagoImago Posts: 4,900
edited July 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

I have tried to paint a char (bridged from DAZ Sudio) that "wears" some geografts. To be precise the geografts are the wings and tail from Popobawa in the store.

I tried many times, clicked every option but it seems I can't paint across the UVs to get a seamless, smooth skin texture for both char's back and joints with wings/tail.

I'm doing something wrong or simply it doesn't support such kind of painting?

Post edited by Imago on

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

I guess it can't be done! cheeky

Well, thanks to everyone anyway! wink

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

can you as an obj import?

Carrara messes up UV's with geografted figures not obj imports so maybe Hexagon has the same issue?

• Personally, I use Blacksmith3D for paining over seams. I do not do character textures so did not respond earlier.

edited July 2018
    th3Digit said:

Carrara messes up UV's with geografted figures not obj imports so maybe Hexagon has the same issue?

It imports everything fine, but simply it seems to be able to paint only one surface a time. I really love its ability to paint displacement and bumps (See they in real time is neat!) but also I would like to paint my whole figure at once.

Personally, I use Blacksmith3D for paining over seams. I do not do character textures so did not respond earlier.

I also have Blacksmith3D... A total waste of money! angry
    I got convinced by the .DUF support and Morph Channels... But it's truly bad! It can't even store your preferences, every time I start Blacksmith3D I have to spend 5 minutes putting back my setup... And then it crashes at first stroke! Also you can modify that sick viewport commands and it keeps changing panes every time you do anything! And it costs 200$+! It helped me some time ago, but now it's garbage...

This is why I'm looking for a better solution...

Post edited by Imago on
  • I use Blender for texture painting. Just export the figure at base resolution with the geografts attached. In Blender add the textures and use the texture paint tool.

EZPZ

edited September 2018

Blender supports only one texture at time... I can't paint on multiple textures like the torso, the wings and the neck at once.
    I tried it (I suggest everyone who want to OPEN Blender to use BlenderSensei's add-ons... That's the way they should have made Blender at the very beginning!) and Genesis gets messed up! crying

Unless you know a method or a plugin to do that, Polmear! surprise

Post edited by Imago on
  • Imago said:
    th3Digit said:

It imports everything fine, but simply it seems to be able to paint only one surface a time. I really love its ability to paint displacement and bumps (See they in real time is neat!) but also I would like to paint my whole figure at once.

Personally, I use Blacksmith3D for paining over seams. I do not do character textures so did not respond earlier.

I also have Blacksmith3D... A total waste of money! angry
    I got convinced by the .DUF support and Morph Channels... But it's truly bad! It can't even store your preferences, every time I start Blacksmith3D I have to spend 5 minutes putting back my setup... And then it crashes at first stroke! Also you can modify that sick viewport commands and it keeps changing panes every time you do anything! And it costs 200$+! It helped me some time ago, but now it's garbage...

This is why I'm looking for a better solution...

you can paint multiple surfaces at once in Carrara

you need to check the brush and visibility on each map

and yes create and save separate map for each surface

it is not as accurate as Zbrush poly paint though which I now use instead but yeah thats dear

th3Digit said:

you can paint multiple surfaces at once in Carrara

you need to check the brush and visibility on each map

and yes create and save separate map for each surface

it is not as accurate as Zbrush poly paint though which I now use instead but yeah thats dear

Carrara is great for everything, painting too, but it lacks layers blending. crying
    I use it for stuff that doesn't require too much precision like far background objects or simple props. wink

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    Imago said:

Blender supports only one texture at time... I can't paint on multiple textures like the torso, the wings and the neck at once.
    I tried it (I suggest everyone who want to OPEN Blender to use BlenderSensei's add-ons... That's the way they should have made Blender at the very beginning!) and Genesis gets messed up! crying

I use Blender for almost all the skins of my characters, and I use Blacksmith when texture edge fading is required. Blender could paint on all the character textures at once perfectly.

edited September 2018
    Vyusur said:
    Imago said:

I use Blender for almost all the skins of my characters, and I use Blacksmith when texture edge fading is required. Blender could paint on all the character textures at once perfectly.

How do you do it? If I load my exported Genesis1 char in Blender I can paint only one texture... and that texture is the same for every body part.

Post edited by Imago on

Vyusur, please, tell us how do that! crying