Post Your Space Scenes

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

Here's an extremely rough cut sample of some shots I'm working on for a longer animation. It's really rough at the moment, but I like some of the more iconic shots and may re-render a couple other shots to better match the look.
    http://youtu.be/iS-sNje4k0o

Love the Cygnus model, and the great glow effects, well done!

I found out the Black Hole soundtrack was re-released in 2011, has a few tracks on it that never made it on the original soundtrack release,
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?it=A&id=7229&whence;=

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    Here's an extremely rough cut sample of some shots I'm working on for a longer animation. It's really rough at the moment, but I like some of the more iconic shots and may re-render a couple other shots to better match the look.

Love the Cygnus model, and the great glow effects, well done!

I found out the Black Hole soundtrack was re-released in 2011, has a few tracks on it that never made it on the original soundtrack release,
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?it=A&id=7229&whence;=
    Thanks much!

Thanks also for the info. on the soundtrack. I think I read somewhere that Disney was considering a possible remake of the film. If they can fix the ending, but find a way to capture the character of the ship, it might not be such a bad idea.

I found the Cygnus model at Foundation3D.com. They have many fine models there. They seem to concentrate on Lightwave, but you can generally import the models, though you'll need to do extensive shader work.

The Cygnus model was just such a case. There must be a difference in the UVs for .lwo, because I tried to rebuild the shaders using the included texture maps. In the end, I found it much easier to rebuild them using Carrara procedural shaders. There are still a couple image maps (the orange control tower glass for instance), but maybe 95% are procedural.

Regarding the glow, the only glow used on the ship is for the running lights. The rest of the ship is lit from within. I used translucency to achieve the internally lit superstructure and command tower. I stuck a series of lights on the inside of the ship. I am really happy with the effect because the light shining through the hull illuminates the framework of the ship from within. The trick was getting the level of translucency Vs. the intensity and fall-off of the lights.

edited December 1969

Almost forgot! Did anybody notice the little tip of the hat I put in for DAZ? Hint: It has to do with the astronauts. ;-)

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Almost forgot! Did anybody notice the little tip of the hat I put in for DAZ? Hint: It has to do with the astronauts. ;-)

I did not notice on my previous viewing. But since you enticed me, I watched it again and noticed a "Hiro". Subtle and nice!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Evil, that's awesome, very impressive :)

Also, I saw that movie when I was very young, very disturbing and frightening to me then, especially the red robot (Maximillian? Not sure if I'm getting the name right). Those blades, the air of menace... and the final shot of the movie, where the villain is *inside* the robot, trapped for all time in the black hole... profoundly disturbing to me, I had nightmares :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

OK EP, how was I not subscribed to you already?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

AX 806

8_0613_AX.jpg
    1441 x 627 - 169K
    edited December 1969

Hunt

8_0613_hunt.jpg
    1441 x 627 - 354K
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Cool landscapes, my favorite has to be the Hunt.

edited August 2013

I saw quite a few Star Trek space scenes from someone at DA, he used Nasa real space images as backgrounds and his renders looked so close to reality as to be photographs. I decided to try a few myself.

Now this is what I am talking about!

evilproducer, I used your engine exhaust in this scene. Thank you!

Ship1_-_Station_-_Earth_Orbit_-_02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 212K
    Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

Leaving Zim 6

8_0713_L.jpg
    1441 x 627 - 213K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Leaving Zim 6

No fair bigh! I was contemplating designing an organic looking ship along the the lines of an octopus. you've done yours much better than the one I was picturing in my mind's eye! Love the alien landscapes you've been posting. Care to share any tips on the shaders?
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    I saw quite a few Star Trek space scenes from someone at DA, he used Nasa real space images as backgrounds and his renders looked so close to reality as to be photographs. I decided to try a few myself.

Glad the flames could help! I really like the way you matched the models to the image.

I used a photo of a nebula that the Hubbkle took for the background in this image:

Enterprise-and-Bird-of-prey.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 589K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Yes, bigh... very cool stuff! I would be first in line to pay to watch something that had that sort of thing going on. Truly!

nDelphi said:

See... now, some might feel the the shadows are a bit dark on this, and that's not entirely how I would see it - since the shadows are playing against what's behind us - dark space. If you felt like trying another look, that might extinguish some of that "Blackness" from the shadows to appease the eyes that other people see through, try using Phil's Gamma Correction = 2.2 trick, with no other adjustments to the render - see what it says.

I only say this because many of the shots that I've rendered with a lot of extra light involved was said to be too dark. In reality, the fact is that my scene was shot in the depths of space, so realistically my image was too bright. But folks still want to see what's going on - so I'm experimenting, to what I feel is great success, appeasing myself and, hopefully others, by adding the GC=2.2 but otherwise leaving the settings the way I would have originally set them to be. Kind of wordy, but I'm saying this because if I set it to be brighter than super dark, letting the highlights do the trick to help show what's going on, adding this method is helping to brighten it quite a bit further.

Such was my original intent. But I'm also finding that I'm liking other aspects of the Gamma Corrected image beyond just the brightening of it.

Anyways, I really like these images you're making. For me, I like the shadows as you have them set up. I think you've done a very intelligent, and great looking job of finding your sweet spot.

edited December 1969

EP,
    I've always loved that render. I really like how well you've matched your lighting to the BG image.

edited December 1969

See... now, some might feel the the shadows are a bit dark on this, and that's not entirely how I would see it - since the shadows are playing against what's behind us - dark space.

I tried the scene with Gama Correction 2.2, and I see a few things I have to do. The background will have to go and be composited in Photoshop as it is being washed out in a few areas. And although I can see the models in the background actually get more defined (I can see the hull warning lights), the model close to the camera will need some tweaking and I still see some dark shadows on it.

I studied a lot of space shots in orbit showing several satellites and the international space station and the shadows as I have them are correct as you well spelled out. Even with so much light bouncing off the planet dark shadows are as correct as you will find on a photographic image, which suites me just fine as that is what I am after.

BTW, where does NASA keep high definition images, especially of orbits of the earth? I have been all over their sites and I haven't found them. Can anyone point in the right direction? http://www.nasa.gov/ bounces me to over several sites, of which none take me to such a gallery and Google image searches found a few, but I am still no closer to finding the jackpot. LOL!

edited December 1969

thanks guys again !
    I just play around until I get some thing I like - just having fun .
    no tips to add .

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    See... now, some might feel the the shadows are a bit dark on this, and that's not entirely how I would see it - since the shadows are playing against what's behind us - dark space.

I tried the scene with Gama Correction 2.2, and I see a few things I have to do. The background will have to go and be composited in Photoshop as it is being washed out in a few areas. And although I can see the models in the background actually get more defined (I can see the hull warning lights), the model close to the camera will need some tweaking and I still see some dark shadows on it.

I studied a lot of space shots in orbit showing several satellites and the international space station and the shadows as I have them are correct as you well spelled out. Even with so much light bouncing off the planet dark shadows are as correct as you will find on a photographic image, which suites me just fine as that is what I am after.

BTW, where does NASA keep high definition images, especially of orbits of the earth? I have been all over their sites and I haven't found them. Can anyone point in the right direction? http://www.nasa.gov/ bounces me to over several sites, of which none take me to such a gallery and Google image searches found a few, but I am still no closer to finding the jackpot. LOL!

No time to search at the moment for the URLs, but JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory) could also be a good resource.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

hey, obviously a guy called Kevin had a lot to do with that one, which part did you do?
    :)
    seriously, that is seriously good work, I was very impressed.
    I couldn't listen to the music - at work, but even so it had lots of prescence.
    you did a great job of mimicking movement in space too - very believable

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    thanks guys again !
    I just play around until I get some thing I like - just having fun .
    no tips to add .

bigh are they carrara or bryce?
    either way great stuff
    you're a very good artist

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    BTW, where does NASA keep high definition images...
    I keep clear of using photos, myself. I'm a total CG kind of guy.
    edited December 1969

So we notice an enormous reading of dense mass. Like, off the charts. Almost as if we're approaching a gas giant or something similar, yet we aren't seeing or reading any sort of matter as we know it. But in the time it took to utter these words, the intensity of the mass has grown to a point where our capitol ships are being pulled like never bef....
    So we've launched squadrons of smaller orbit and defense class craft to try and suss out what it is that we're dealing with. Perhaps our human eyes can notice something that our scanners and detectors cannot...

The large metal structure on the right is the nose of Philip Drawbridge's HMS Fairborne. If you look closely, you'll see some Thunderbikes by Kibarreto being launched from it's bays. Each of them has a lorez MU Worker, by Predatron, piloting.
    The large vessel to the top is another drawbridgep model: "HMS August - Destroyer", which is being passed by a squadron of Starship Harpoon, by petipet. Finally, our science research vessel, converted from one of our civillian transports: Deep Space Heavy Cruiser, again by drawbridgep. Starry Sky filling out the scenery stars.

HMS_SpaceChaosX35.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 600K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 581K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX05.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 555K
    edited December 1969

We launch a probe from our science vessel to take more readi....

HMS_SpaceChaosX8.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 541K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX7.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 641K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX6b.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 684K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX5.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 696K
    HMS_SpaceChaosX375.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 627K
    edited August 2013

We lost contact with the science vessel and it appears to have lost its main power. What was that?
    I forgot to mention that I am piloting another thunderbike. We have a lot more craft available... but we'll have to get a grip on this situation before we can once again resume trying to figure out just what the hell is going on here!!!

Could it be that Phil W's Gamma Correction = 2.2 sparked a Gamma burst in the space fabric? It certainly appears that our probe, perhaps in combination with out other detection devices may have had a negative (?) reaction towards some sort of dark matter?

Nonetheless... I'm looking forward to seeing the animation. I'm experimenting with several things in this one - to which I've decided to add my other experiment with animating explosions using the timeline on volumetric clouds. Certainly, adding an explosion of particles or an exploding vertex object would really add to the effect. But I prefer to test the raw results first.

HMS_SpaceChaosX9.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 594K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Oh... and the models by Philip Drawbridge (drawbridgep) are made for Carrara and are a dream to work with. They are simple models, but with plenty of detail. They render well and render fast. Best of all... they look cool!

Just take note that everything before "Destroyer HMS August" is for Bryce, not Carrara ;)

edited December 1969

Space toon

1_space.jpg
    1159 x 899 - 143K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Dart - very cool and impressive set of images, this will look amazing as an animation I'm sure! I liked the comment about the Gamma burst in space fabric - who knew Carrara was so powerful!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

A Curiosity Place

Curiosity_Place.jpg
    900 x 609 - 410K
    edited December 1969

Here is the gamma corrected version. The background was composited in a photo editor.

In this case I prefer the non-GC version.

Great stuff there, Dartanbeck.

Ship1_-_Station_-_Earth_Orbit_-_02_GC.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 276K
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Wow, bigh, I really like your space toon...

Now did you use a gamma = 2.2 on that?