Poser Newbie Thread

Comments

• Alethas FantasyAlethas Fantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OK at least it is on for the 1.99 so not to bad.

Thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I think Platinum Club characters tend to be "dial spins", settings for the standard morphs, while a lot of the full price characters tend to have hand-sculpted head morphs (they still use the base morphs for the body, to make sure that clothing is likely to fit). Textures will of course work.

edited December 1969

I bought it, But will not work in my posers7 it gives me 2 messages & freezes my computer up to where I have to restart it.
    I bring in D3 Base it says needs: D3Base, then clicked on the Inject of the first body, that it, saying Warning something about pz2 & freezes up.

Put in a ticket to get my money back.

Look like I'm stuck with him & all the clothes for him, I bought months ago, just now getting the chance to play with him, most likely with V3, A3 & M3 bought lots of clothes for them also.

Oh well now I am scared to buy anything else for the 3.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

keep an eye out, Daz occasionally opens the vault

edited December 1969

Another que. got my 6.00 coupon.

I'm off David for now. lol

If I buy V3/M3 Head & Body Morphs pack, Special Price: $20.97, with that give them color skin besides the pink?
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-m3-head-body-morphs/
    or do I need a texture pack but didn't see one.

On V4/M4 I got base & Morphs++ & there skin is human.
    Don't see any ++ on M3 or V3.

Hoping to learn all of this so I don't have to bug anyone.
    Thanks

edited December 1969

Another que. got my 6.00 coupon.

I'm off David for now. lol

If I buy V3/M3 Head & Body Morphs pack, Special Price: $20.97, with that give them color skin besides the pink?
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v3-m3-head-body-morphs/
    or do I need a texture pack but didn't see one.

On V4/M4 I got base & Morphs++ & there skin is human.
    Don't see any ++ on M3 or V3.

Hoping to learn all of this so I don't have to bug anyone.
    Thanks

V3/M3 head and body morphs are just shaping morphs, not textures

there are no morphs ++ for the Gen 3 figures, just the Gen 4 figures, morphs ++ is basically the head and body morphs for the Gen 4 figures. Honestly I think you will be much happier with the Gen 4s. M4 and V4 have a much more realistic look then M3 and V3 and have more body shaping options

edited December 1969

Ok thanks just had clothes for them.
    But I'll start all over since I haven't got to deep in to posers yet.

Thanks for your help & Advise.

edited December 1969

I started this thread to help folks that were new to Poser, so feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, we are here to help

edited December 1969

Thank you so much it really helps us new one's to learn & not just give up.
    I am looking in M4 & V4 stuff now much easier. lol
    I do have A4,S4, & G4 Base but none of the Morphs++
    Guess I'll need to put them in my wish list so I can use them for something different. lol

edited December 1969

LOL I think I am ready to give up.

I can not find the Morphs++ for them on the 4's. :(
    I think I'm fighting a losing battle.

I have looked & looked for A4 Morphs++ I found a charter I Iike & it takes V4 & the A4 Morphs.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=A4+morphs&x=6&y=11

edited December 1969

The V4 Morphs ++ are the A4 morphs ++. The Gen 3 figures had a different model base for each figure. One of the great things about the Gen 4s is that they all use the same model mesh, so the A4 figure is really just a morph for V4, same for The Girl 4, Stephanie Petite 4, She Freak 4 etc

edited December 1969

Hum' the Artyist of the model I was wanting, said: you need V4 and then the A4 morphs, she must be mistaking. lol

Thanks for clearing it up for me. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Hum' the Artyist of the model I was wanting, said: you need V4 and then the A4 morphs, she must be mistaking. lol

Thanks for clearing it up for me. :)

The A4 morphs are called "Aiko 4 Base", although technically they're morphs for V4.

edited December 1969

it can be a tad confusing at first, but after a couple weeks of asking questions you'll get so you know all this stuff

edited December 1969

Thanks, that is Awesome less to buy.
    I wrote the Artist back & told her that. lol

edited December 1969

I always recommend that new users avoid buying too much. pick up a few things, enough to morph and texture a figure and maybe make a small scene, work with that as you learn, then little by little add to it. Before you know it you will have an impressive collection of models, props, lights etc

edited December 1969

I made some Items to start off with to have to go with the Models, I made a NA V4 Women & M4 Man.
    Was getting ready to do Cowboy/girls next, that's when I ran into clothes for M3 & D3, but did find a few for M4 so back to work on them, I was tring to find something to use my $6.00 coupon on before it runs out at the end of the month, so I started looking for stuff for V4 & M4 but some require another model. lol

I think I got it now, as my teacher for the basic program training always says: Practice-Practice. lol

Thanks again so much I thought I was going crazy not finding the Morphs for the 4"s.
    What a relief. :)

• aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Xfitz said:
    I inadvertently overwrote ALL my PROP FILES that came with Poser 8 yesterday with the prop file of an old content folder I was trying to move into my Poser 8 Runtime Folder. How can I recover those Prop Files? I am wiling to delete Poser 8 from my hard drive and then install it again since I am just beginning to use Poser I don't have any new content yet that I will lose by doing this. However, before attempting that solution I thought I'd ask if there is an alternative and also will Poser allow me to reinstall? (I have a Mac OS X.). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First I ahev to say that even as I have Poser 2010 I'm not a "Poser user". But it sounds like you moved something to your Poser xx(Runtime/Libraries/ that was named Props and it was overwritten.

If you have TimeMachine active and backup of that directory you would be able to just restore from a previous timepoint, othewise I know there is a P8 Content Update download, but I think it require the original content to be intact.

I would say Reinstall P8; I dont remember if the installer has a separate installer option for content only.

/ Totte

I did the same thing with some DAZ files on my OSX LION. All you needed to do was move the resulting merged file to your desktop and re-open it in a new finder window.
    This done, simply hand sort through the files and be careful about placing them in the correct files.
    I have to sort in this manner after installing V4 items and anything off of Rendo.

• NaviNavi Posts: 443
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I have a question about running 2 versions of Poser, did read something about this on the old forums a while ago but I am unable to find it now, so I was hoping somebody could help :) :

I have Poser 8 installed, all content into the default Poser runtime (won't do that again... :shut: but that is another story). Can I install Poser 9, while using all the content from Poser 8's runtime ?

I am mostly unsure about "basics", V4, morphs ++, elite, and every bits which are supposed to be into the folder where poser.exe is. Would this work ? Or would I have to reinstall all these "basics" into Poser 9 ?

I didn't really care so far since I was keeping the Poser 9 copy for another PC I'm building, but as this PC won't be ready before a couple months, I wanted to try the SSS-stuff from Poser 9 on older PC in the meantime.

Cheers,

Navi

edited December 1969

navibass said:
    Hello,

I have a question about running 2 versions of Poser, did read something about this on the old forums a while ago but I am unable to find it now, so I was hoping somebody could help :) :

I have Poser 8 installed, all content into the default Poser runtime (won't do that again... :shut: but that is another story). Can I install Poser 9, while using all the content from Poser 8's runtime ?

I am mostly unsure about "basics", V4, morphs ++, elite, and every bits which are supposed to be into the folder where poser.exe is. Would this work ? Or would I have to reinstall all these "basics" into Poser 9 ?

I didn't really care so far since I was keeping the Poser 9 copy for another PC I'm building, but as this PC won't be ready before a couple months, I wanted to try the SSS-stuff from Poser 9 on older PC in the meantime.

Cheers,

Navi

When you install Poser 9 you will be able to direct it to your Poser 8 runtime and everything should work just fine. I'm still using the runtime I set up for Poser 7, I have used it for Poser 8, Poser Pro 2010 and for Poser 9

edited December 1969

When you install Poser 9 you will be able to direct it to your Poser 8 runtime and everything should work just fine. I'm still using the runtime I set up for Poser 7, I have used it for Poser 8, Poser Pro 2010 and for Poser 9

Really ?! That's great, thank you very much for the help ;-) .

edited December 1969

When you open Poser 9, on your library tab there will be a little folder symbol with a running guy and a plus sign, click that to add your old runtime as a library

edited December 1969

When you open Poser 9, on your library tab there will be a little folder symbol with a running guy and a plus sign, click that to add your old runtime as a library

I know that symbol, but I've never ever used it on Poser 7 and 8 - will install Poser 9 tomorrow and try that, thanks again.

I was worried about V4 figures and all Daz things that need initialization, scripts, etc, looks like I was hopefully wrong ;-)

Btw if that's that simple, I should have asked before, because that copy of Poser 9 has been sleeping unused for a while lol :roll:

edited December 1969

honestly, i don't remember if V4 needed to be reinitialized or not, I don't think so, but if she does then its just a one time deal for each program. Pretty sure she doesn't though because she has been initialized for that runtime and you are just using that runtime for different flavors of Poser.

edited December 1969

honestly, i don't remember if V4 needed to be reinitialized or not, I don't think so, but if she does then its just a one time deal for each program. Pretty sure she doesn't though because she has been initialized for that runtime and you are just using that runtime for different flavors of Poser.

You are right - Finally installed it today, everything seems to be working fine, except scripts (but I think it's normal, they probably need to be copied into new runtime).

Thanks again ;-)

edited December 1969

some python scripts don't work in Poser 9, there are updates available for some of them. It has to do with P9 using a slightly different version of Python i think

edited December 1969

some python scripts don't work in Poser 9, there are updates available for some of them. It has to do with P9 using a slightly different version of Python i think

Yes I know, I remember receiving emails about some products, about this issue,

Thanks again ;-)

edited December 1969

Ok here is a quicky tutorial on the Alternate Specular Node. For those not familiar with Poser's Material room this is a quick easy little tutorial to adjust how surfaces look in Poser. For this Tutorial I used Poser 9. This will work in other versions of Poser, but results may vary. I noticed a big difference between Poser Pro 2010 and Poser 9. All the images are Dinoraul's Monolophosaurus. The only setting I will be changing is the Alternate Specular setting for the skin. Below there is a screen cap of the Advanced Material room in Poser 9. On the Poser Surface tab toward the bottom you will see where it says Alternate Specular. Click the little plug thing to create a new node. We want to go to New Node, Lighting, Specular, below that you will see 6 different options. I will be posting examples of what each of these goody names actually does....

Default.jpg
    800 x 800 - 87K
    Image_01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 129K
    edited December 1969

Here are renders showing the different Alternate Specular settings...

Blinn.jpg
    800 x 800 - 90K
    Glossy.jpg
    800 x 800 - 112K
    Phong.jpg
    800 x 800 - 98K
    Anisotropic.jpg
    800 x 800 - 98K