Digital Carvers Guild going open source

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited August 2018

Thank you for the detailed procedure description, Andrew! I tried it myself and it works fine for me. The only thing I couldn't understand, how to convert it to vertex object and split it into separate pieces.

Doc2.png
    1300 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited August 2018

Thanks Ub and thanks for the shader makers name!

Pleasure Vyusur, beautiful garden. Ah I am not sure about your question I am sorry.

I started out with vertex objects so I didnt have to convert them.

But here's an experiment. I exported the anything grows as an obj, reimported it as an obj, hit it with an explosion modifier then exported it

then reimported it and use vwd to drop it onto a vertex plane - then hit it with two of those wonderful shaders 

the vertex plane has a cellular shader in the displacement channel to undulate it a bit

explosion-1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

Thank you very much 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    head wax said:

Thanks Ub and thanks for the shader makers name!

Pleasure Vyusur, beautiful garden. Ah I am not sure about your question I am sorry.

I started out with vertex objects so I didnt have to convert them.

But here's an experiment. I exported the anything grows as an obj, reimported it as an obj, hit it with an explosion modifier then exported it

then reimported it and use vwd to drop it onto a vertex plane - then hit it with two of those wonderful shaders 

the vertex plane has a cellular shader in the displacement channel to undulate it a bit

Wow, catching up on threads and can’t believe I missed this.  This will be great when I remake some old Hammer horror films in Carrara.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

ha ha thanks :) it was fun to do actually

• Hey Eric, long time.

Just wanted to say that a huge part of the work I've done in Carrara wouldn't be possible without DCG. Anyone who works in Carrara and hasn't used these plugins should take advantage of this opportunity. I still use Carrara for commercial graphic design and master planning renders and DCG plugins take Carrara to the next level of capability, especially with shaders.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Eric - all the best for the future, I shall look forward to playing with those that I do not already own.

Just a thought - now that these are all freely available, it might make a great theme for a future Challenge - include a use of any DCG plugin. There have been some impressive examples already on this thread.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited August 2018
    PhilW said:

Eric - all the best for the future, I shall look forward to playing with those that I do not already own.

Just a thought - now that these are all freely available, it might make a great theme for a future Challenge - include a use of any DCG plugin. There have been some impressive examples already on this thread.

Great to see you posting, PhilW.  As you get caught up on threads, you will see how prescient you are!  The current monthly challenge by Alberto requires a DCG plugin of user's choice.

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:
    PhilW said:

Great to see you posting, PhilW.  As you get caught up on threads, you will see how prescient you are!  The current monthly challenge by Alberto requires a DCG plugin of user's choice.

Ha - I should have spotted that!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

it's ok Phil, we know you guys are having trouble with scallop catching at the moment devil wink

LOL!

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

is it still possible to get Enhance-C? I needz! lol

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Even if not open source, I was also wondering if we can somehow extend the license of that package (Enhance-C - I happen to have bought it) for GRID as well.

@LightOfHeaven, if you can go to the DCG galleries and find an image that mentions Enhance-C as being used to create it, you can click on that reference and get the the sort-of-hidden product page, and at least download the trial/plugin. If an unlicensed version is released, I would expect to find it there - now or someday.

tnx Eric!,

--ms

There isn't even a "buy it" button on the page, so...darn

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,527

I am interested in obtaining it as well. Out of interest I clicked on the Bundles icon on the bottom of the DCG page, is still listed in the "All" bundle but the shop no longer works.

edited September 2018

I'd go ahead and download the relevant version(s) - place productID=18 in one of the existing product URLs and download from the upper-right corner -  in case an 'open' license dat file is someday released/provided.

I got the impression that Eric has the rights to the products, but not to all of the source-code for Open Source release, so I can't imagine he wouldn't 'share' this product as well (even without the source code) unless his licensing prevents it.

Eric, if you're reading this, although I bought the full suite a while back, I'd actually like to donate a parting 'beer' for your efforts to recompile and distribute/release the 'free' versions that are already out there, as this had to have taken some valuable time. Please send me a paypal link if you have one.

I would also be willing to buy a GRID license for Enhance-C if the pricing weren't too crazy.

Thanks,

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • Eric WinemillerEric Winemiller Posts: 84
    edited September 2018

Yeah, Enhance:C is a bit entangled. It was a partnership between the fellow that built the library and me integrating it with Carrara. The agreement is that if either of us gets out of the business, we'd turn over the other half of the code so the other could continue. I've sent him everything he needs to make it available and questions about the open sourcing, but no response. He did drop me a note back in April so I think he's still around. His site is http://www.shaders.co.uk/ and there is a contact email there. If you're interested in Enhance:C, feel free to encourage him. I'd really like it to be settled too and would love to be able to open source at least my half of the Enhance:C code.

Even on the hidden page, the links will no longer take you to the Enhance:C downloads, but they will continue to be available at

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c8/enhancecw64.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c8/enhancecw32.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c8/enhancecub.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c7/enhancec.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c7/enhancecub.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c6/enhancec.zip

www.digitalcarversguild.com/downloads/c6/enhancecub.zip

If you're an existing Enhance:C user, I will still support/fix as needed, but will no longer sell it.

Regards,

Post edited by Eric Winemiller on
    edited September 2018

thanks, Eric. i'll deffiitely email this fella

aedit: i'm not seeng a Contact emaill.

Post edited by VIArts on

thanks, Eric. i'll deffiitely email this fella

aedit: i'm not seeng a Contact emaill.

http://www.shaders.co.uk/enhance_library/index.htm

Will be sending an email as well.

Woohoo, got a quick response from him!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited September 2018

I will definately buy EnhancerC if there is some way to do so.....

Post edited by Greymom on
    edited September 2018

good news, that. - generally, what did you learn?

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on

Woot,

mindsong said:

--ms

1. He's still around.
    2. He still checks that email.
    3. And

Woot,

mindsong said:

--ms

1. He's still around.
    2. He still checks that email.
    3. And

Good to know !!!!

• Cool, now need inagoni's plugins too.

Finally got it, 19 bucks later

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104
    edited September 2018

Thanks!  I will try it too.

Edit:  Yep, he sent me the serial # right away!

Post edited by Greymom on
    Greymom said:

Thanks!  I will try it too.

Edit:  Yep, he sent me the serial # right away!

Just joined the Enhance-C club, very prompt service !!!!

+5

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited October 2018

playing with the super mixer shader and various proceedurals in the 10 slots,well 8 and black and white

can drive the mix with another proceedural like a gradient or a photo, video whatever

gets interesting results

shader test.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 927K
    applied to pic.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Capture.JPG
    1936 x 1048 - 469K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on