Carrara Challenge 42 – PIONEERS – Dedicated to Eric Winemiller - WIP

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited August 2018

Nice work Ted - yes I think the override feature is pretty darn good - looking forward to seeing what you come up with

here's a play from me - havent decided which plugi in to work with yet - anything grows looks like a goer

Back story: 

It's a little known fact that the famous British Scientist Michael Faraday invented the party balloon.

(Please note: It was spelt with one 'L' till January 1846 when an act of British Parliament decided that, to be more French sounding, it should have two 'Ls.)

For example Wiki says: "Michael Faraday FRS was a British scientist who contributed to the study of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.

His main discoveries include the principles underlying electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism, electrolysis and, most importantly, the 'party' balloon."

Odd as it may seem, in 1833 he was the recipient of the second annual Darwin Party Animal Medal - a facsimile of which appears on this commemorative poster.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Post edited by Headwax on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited August 2018

Here is an example of the extra control of DCG's toon pro compared to Carrara's native.  You can use the override to set the line width for each object.  The default line width is 2, which might be fine for the edges of the clothing in a full figure shot.  Unfortunately, if line width is se to 2 in this shot, then the hair density makes the blode hair appear black.  See Below.

I used the DCG toon pro override for just the hair object to reduce the lie width to 0.4.  Now the hair appears blonde in the full figure shot.

Hair set at default 2 in line width toon override.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 33K
    hair set at point4 in override line width.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 33K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814
    edited August 2018

thanks @diomede

you know you can tell the toon pro plugin not to line draw on the hair and brows if you want..

I've started on my next model...

I'll just post the WiP and see if it's recognisable to anyone.. ( Australians will have an advantage )

used toonwire pro on this one as well.

sledge wireframe.png
    800 x 600 - 160K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    head wax said:

Nice work Ted - yes I think the override feature is pretty darn good - looking forward to seeing what you come up with

here's a play from me - havent decided which plugi in to work with yet - anything grows looks like a goer

Back story: 

It's a little known fact that the famous British Scientist Michael Faraday invented the party balloon.

For example Wiki says: "Michael Faraday FRS was a British scientist who contributed to the study of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.

His main discoveries include the principles underlying electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism, electrolysis and, most importantly, the 'party' balloon."

Odd as it may seem, in 1833 he was the recipient of the second annual Darwin Party Animal Medal - a facsimile of which appears on this commemorative poster.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Time to party in the Carrara Challenge thread!!!!!!!

Wonderful choices.  yes

Stezza said:

thanks @diomede

you know you can tell the toon pro plugin not to line draw on the hair and brows if you want..

I'll just post the WiP and see if it's recognisable to anyone.. ( Australians will have an advantage )

Another amazingly fast and efficient modeling job.  Always stuns me.  

Thanks for the tip on eliminating lines entirely in toon pro.  I want a few lines to indicate the style for the mai hair, but will experiment for the eyebrows.

we must be posting at the same time.. I see you know of the over ride settings yes

great stuff happening and great use of DCG's plugins smiley

thanks Ted :)

Stezza once again gobble smacking - especially the rope

by the way - in Toon Pro have you had succes with the depth feauture ? never seems to make a difference to me so I am doing it incorrectly I bet

edited August 2018

for memory, I think I used a camera setting at 35mm and then used that setting and rendered.. didn't get much in the way of spectacular but really haven't given it a good go yet at that setting.

I mainly set line thickness to anywhere between 70 - 80 .. colour down to 80 and use shading domains.. render around 3000 pixels then reduce in PSE.

Post edited by Stezza on
    edited August 2018

here's a test using it

line size - 8

depth cueing - 45

rendered using the 35mm camera setting

obj pixel - 0.5

anti aliasing - good

depth lines.JPG
    1107 x 633 - 78K
    Post edited by Stezza on

thanks Stezza, yes it does work then - I'm always using about 100mm - maybe thats it!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757
    Stezza said:

thanks @diomede

Sir Douglas Mawson - Ernest Shackleton’s 1907–1909 Nimrod expedition to Antartica, and the longest Antarctic man-hauling sledge journey of 122 days ?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Nice work everyone, will join in the fun next week.

Bunyip02 said:

Nice work everyone, will join in the fun next week.

expecting something brilliant of course ;)

Thanks for the Toon! pro tips.  I didn’t see your posts about the depth or the camera setting.  Will have to experiment.

• Fun! Gonna have to keep an eye on this.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382

Fun! Gonna have to keep an eye on this.

Welcome, Eric!

edited September 2018

first go of the amazing shader gel. the cobblestones are projected from the spot light!

the 'grooves' in the sphere are also from the shader gel

directions here http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=12

shadergel.jpg
    1327 x 1055 - 273K
    sphere1.jpg
    1112 x 1130 - 375K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited September 2018

RAINBOW PLANET!

Shoestring fesnesl test/attempt

Doc9.jpg
    800 x 800 - 39K
    Post edited by VIArts on
    edited September 2018

Love seeing these tests of the plugins. 

- You've got a cool planet going with the shoestring shader, @LightofHeaven.

- And the cobblestones are compelling, @Headwax

FrankenPioneer 

- I made new boots and new pants, but the other parts are taken from older projects.  They are fit together to make a new figure, which I will rig for this challenge (may take an existing skeleton if I find one that approximates the proportions).  The gloves/hands are from a race car driver outfit that I made for G2M, the shirt is from a custom figure that I made for a prior challenge (also a render of a frontier), and the head is an earlier version of my Brash character's head.  I had to do some editing to everything becasue the parts were not from figures of the same size or proportions, but much faster than starting completely from scratch.  I copied and pasted polygons from the head and then edited the results to get the holders for the hairs, beard, and eyebrows.  I really like how these eyebrows turned out.  Still trying to decide if the scene will be summer or winter, which determines whether the coat will be covered in fur, or will have leather tassles.

- Will review the DCG shader tools again before making a final decision.

- Screenshot of the various parts that I as Dr. Frankenstein used to assemble the pioneer.

Test render of the hair pieces used for the hair, beard, and eyebrows.

Portrait with the organic skin shader that comes with Carrara.

Frontier Guy in Parts.JPG
    1854 x 986 - 186K
    Frontier Guy in Parts hair and beard.jpg
    480 x 640 - 21K
    Frontier Guy in Parts portrait.jpg
    480 x 640 - 28K
    edited September 2018

Edit my head's UVMap of face to accept Michael 6 texture maps and a new test render

1) tried to align the face uvmap with the mouth, eyes and nose

2)  New test render with Michael 6 texture maps applied to face, nostrils, and lips

gg01 adjust map to accept Michael 6 texture maps.JPG
    1898 x 1039 - 307K
    gg02 test render.jpg
    640 x 640 - 29K

Stezza, you are a very quick modeler. surprise

head wax said:

first go of the amazing shader gel. the cobblestones are projected from the spot light!

the 'grooves' in the sphere are also from the shader gel

Really?, impresive! surprise I didn't try before the gel shader.

RAINBOW PLANET!

Is this the iridiscent shader?

• Nice work Diomede.

I haven't decided what plugin I want to use yet. Right now I'm in the planning stages of my scene and setting up some assets. When I have better idea of what I want, I will choose a plugin that will work with my scene, rather than build my scene around a predetermined plugin. I have a feeling, that with the variety that Eric generously made available that this shouldn't be a problem.

Here is an exterior test and an interior test.

test exterior.png
    1280 x 720 - 120K
    test interior.png
    1280 x 720 - 411K

I will add an use of Light Mangler from Shader Ops 2.

Carrara Subsurface Scattering cannot accept texture maps, thus some rendered faces could look unrealistic as a result of the SSS uniformity.

Some figures in Daz Store have SSS maps included. Light Mangler can help with this.

This is an example with Genesis 3 Tween Ryan character (thanks to Misty for let Carrara can use it)

This is the face shader. The highlights and bump maps are applied.

In top shader I add a Light Mangler and then modified only the SSS of the Light Mangler. I set a multiply operator and in the Source 1, a Calculated Subsurface Scattering (it's the SSS calculated by Carrara).

In Source 2, I put a Texture Map with the SSS map provided by Daz.

This is the Carrara SSS channel.

These are the rendering (GI). First, SSS without the Light Mangler

Then, with Light Mangler:

For the characters without a SSS map, I usually put the Color Texture map in Source 2 of SSS Light Mangler.

RyanLM_Shader0.jpg
    763 x 786 - 103K
    RyanLM_Shader1.jpg
    763 x 786 - 135K
    RyanLM_Shader2.jpg
    763 x 786 - 111K
    RyanLM_Shader3.jpg
    763 x 786 - 111K
    RyanLM_Shader4.jpg
    763 x 786 - 122K
    RyanWithoutLM.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    RyanLM.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited September 2018

Thanks for the comment, EvilProducer.  Your spaceship is awesome.  One DCG plugin to consider is the shader that makes edges look worn and used.

Thanks for the mangler tip, Alberto.  Will experiment with that for my fur trapper.  Mangler will greatly improve my trapper if I can master it.

Here is the next iteration.  Here, I have created a mixer for the facial skn of Michael 6 and Gianni 6.  The mixer uses an operator to be 80% Michael 6 plus 20% times a spot filter.  The remander is Gianni.  I've also added corneas.  To my eye, the faint spots help break up the uniformity of the skin.  

I've included a half-finished flintlock rifle from the 1700s that I intend to improve.  One glaring ommission is eyelashes.  Need to create some eyelashes.  Another glaring ommission is the fur hat, which will also be useful to hide the seam between the forehead and the scalp.

pp01 portrait michae gianni mix.jpg
    700 x 933 - 68K
    pp01 figure michae gianni mix.jpg
    700 x 933 - 42K
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    Alberto said:

RAINBOW PLANET!

Is this the iridiscent shader?

I did try the iridescent shader at first, yes. But no, i'scn a texture i did in photoshop tiled inbthe color and highlight channels nd fresnel shader in transparency

edited September 2018

@diomede looking more and more like a Davey Crocket type figure... awesome stuff, wish I could model figures like that.

Great tips on shading that I didn't know.. including the shader gel.. must investigate more on that one.

My next WiPs using G2 with store bought different stuff which I kitbashed to get a Sir Douglas figure happening, used Carrara hair for the moe and goatee. Used a cylinder to get a scarf happening and then rendering the image with the sledge I modelled then doing a ToonPro line render as well to composite in PSE

Also used the snow tool which I bought years ago along with rolling plains with a snow shader applied.

Mawson render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 286K
    Mawson line render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 128K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited September 2018

Composited with postwork in PSE2018

Sir Douglas Mawson (1882–1958)

Antarctic achievements
    While undertaking a doctorate at Sydney University, Douglas Mawson joined Ernest Shackleton’s 1907–1909 Nimrod expedition as a geologist, his first Antarctic experience. Along with his mentor Professor T.W. Edgeworth David, Mawson completed the longest Antarctic man-hauling sledge journey of 122 days. Coping with hunger, hidden crevasses, frostbite and exhaustion, they received a hero’s welcome on their return.

Sir Douglas Mawson.png
    800 x 600 - 616K
    Post edited by Stezza on