New Site Search far worse than before

larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
edited May 2012 in The Commons

The new site search is terrible when you are searching for an item that you know the name of. in the past, if you started spelling out the item you wanted in search, options would display of matching products. Often I wouldn't finish spelling the item and select it from the list. Worked well. There were definitely other areas that were lacking, but this piece worked as expected.

Currently if you type in a product name it will not limit the results to that product, instead it seems to grab any item that has any of the terms you input. So instead of narrowing the results to one item, it shows you over 100 and the item you want, the most relevant one isn't even on the first page.

Fix product search, I use it all the time even for items I have already purchased when I forget how things work or what was supposed to come with them. While I know finding a product you know the name of is a different task then just searching for content that meets your keywords, you should put the initial search priority on seeing of the terms match a title.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

Comments

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

I much prefer the old search.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I am sure this will be fixed along with the other things within a few days to a week

• hamstergirl4444hamstergirl4444 Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

The new store has me in tears - can't handle it. I spend a LOT of time there, as well as $$. I have so much content that it was easier to keep track of it all using the store as a starting point when I was in the middle of a render and looking for an item. Not being able to search is just the tip of it - being told we had already purchased an item was a feature I depended on....my memory is pretty much soup these days, a combination of old age and medication, and it's easy to forget what I bought 2 months ago. The way your itemized purchases are displayed, gives me 35 PAGES?!!! ....*sigh*...used to just have one nice big list to scroll down. And I can't believe they released the supersuit under these conditions....

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The old search-function was a very good tool that I relied upon, so it's one of those things that hampers things. And being told you've already purchased an item is a feature that has saved me many times. Hopefully they'll fix them inside a week (?). But being without a forum altogether was the worst part, and having it back in some form - now that is a happy moment!

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    The new store has me in tears - can't handle it. I spend a LOT of time there, as well as $$. I have so much content that it was easier to keep track of it all using the store as a starting point when I was in the middle of a render and looking for an item. Not being able to search is just the tip of it - being told we had already purchased an item was a feature I depended on....my memory is pretty much soup these days, a combination of old age and medication, and it's easy to forget what I bought 2 months ago. The way your itemized purchases are displayed, gives me 35 PAGES?!!! ....*sigh*...used to just have one nice big list to scroll down. And I can't believe they released the supersuit under these conditions....

Build a spreadsheet to keep up with everything. Trust me, it makes life easier.....

You are so right. Thanks for the spreadsheet tip. I shared your idea on another thread about this very concern. It really helped me today.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

How is everyone making the spreadsheet? It seems like you have to copy line by line into excel? Or copy & pasting into word, hitting enter at the end of each item then copying that into excel?

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited May 2012

anikad said:
    How is everyone making the spreadsheet? It seems like you have to copy line by line into excel? Or copy & pasting into word, hitting enter at the end of each item then copying that into excel?

You select the items on display [as shown in the image below] and then copy and paste straight into a cell in Excel - the information should automatically arrange itself into the cells. Then you repeat the procedure for the next IH page - pasting the info into the next empty cell below the pasted items.

I believe someone else is doing a tutorial on the procedure already otherwise I would make one. :-)

Oh, I found the link to the tutorial - it's in the following post
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/4055/

select_items2.jpg
    667 x 335 - 63K
    Post edited by s l f on
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited May 2012

Of course, then you have to account for the items in bundles. "Fun with bundles" is a lifesaver.
    http://home.arcor.de/familie.reichow/3D/fwb1.html
    (Save the page for reference, because the site is limited bandwidth). I had a few dozen, and I've only been here for about 11/2 years...

Meanwhile, a person could use the Everything search utility. http://www.voidtools.com/

One or two keywords do the trick to find your downloads. The beauty is you can type "dark product" and it'll find 10348 DarkProductTextures ds.exe. Tedious, if it's a bundle that's loaded with items but better than guessing.

If there's too much clutter, you can refine with *[search]*.exe (or the Mac version). (Of course that's going to get more complex as they bring out the zips...

I'm in the same boat. Age, meds... and I started out with a bad memory. I'm being driven far more mad, by the changeover, that I expected. It's getting better incrementally, but it's an agonizingly slow process. All these stupid little breakages wear a person down.

By the way, was it you that brought us "Everything"? (Normally, I'd search... but Google can't deal with it either. Changing from "forum" to "forumarchive" lost most of the results it used to find, that'll probably get cured about the time they fix search, here, there, and everywhere).

I've been using orcasoul's new bundle script, and there's an alternative to 3DCD Database, linked on his site. But between his health and other stuff, I don't know when he'll get it adapted to the new site.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

Anybody who is interested in the spreadsheet tutorial for managing the Itemized Order History, I posted the link to it in the freepository :D

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/566/

edited December 1969

anikad said:

You're not copying line by line, but page by page (selecting the 50 items per page option makes this go faster, too). It still takes a while, but once set up, so worth it!

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited May 2012

Thanks, Aidana WillowRaven, that's a nifty way to solve it all. (Downloaded).

Grrrumph... now I have to log out of my account to log into the forums.

Post edited by T Jaiman on
    edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Thanks, Aidana WillowRaven, that's a nifty way to solve it all. (Downloaded).

Grrrumph... now I have to log out of my account to log into the forums.

Thanks :D Although, in all honesty, it wasn't my idea ... lol.

I just discovered another cool aspect to having the spreadsheet. While going through and finding my bundles, in order to record exactly WHAT is in each one, I had to reset the bundle to see what's inside, sometimes. At first I thought that was a PITA, but now I think it's cool.

When I copy past the individual file names, I inadvertently copied the download links from the available downloads, too. Meaning, I can download my product without even having to reset it in the future. At least, that's how it looks from here. I could be wrong.

For all I know, that link may change with each reset ...