UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders ?

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does this work in 4.5?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

You can use UberAreaLights to make a surface give off light.
    To apply an Uber Area Light to a surface to make it emit light: Select any surface, then select "!UberAreaLight Base.dsa"
    To see the light source itself, set the "Ambient Active" parameter to On, and set the Ambient color, and apply an image to the Ambient Color if you want the light to have surface features.
    To change the color of the light emitted, set Color . Change the Intensity slider up to make it brighter; note some lights may need to be dramatically brighter to be seen, work with powers of 10 to start with. Opacity can also be used at the same time.
    To fix any graniness, especially in shadows: In parameters tab increase the samples parameter (at the cost of greatly increased render time). The value varies greatly depending on the light. I have seen 32 work for some lights, 1024 was needed for one.

You can also just crank up the ambient parameter to fake it, but that doesn't make it emit light that affects anything else, it just makes the surface itself appear more lit. However that might still work under certain instances depending on the scene.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

Does this work in 4.5?

I am curious about the new shaders as well. While I do not think I would use these for large surfaces, it might be interesting to see how the shader rendered small items.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were asking how to create the effect of ultraviolet light or glowing things with a shader. I just ran a search and saw this product listed in the store (I don't have it myself), I'm guessing you want to know if this product works in 4.5, right?
    http://www.daz3d.com/ultrueviolet-light-and-glowing-shaders-for-daz-studio

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Does this involve any actual new shaders? The advertising copy can't make up its mind.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The PA has a thread here, if it is any help http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13631/

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were asking how to create the effect of ultraviolet light or glowing things with a shader. I just ran a search and saw this product listed in the store (I don't have it myself), I'm guessing you want to know if this product works in 4.5, right?

Actually I'm glad you did post the information ... think I'll go with that.

Thank you Chohole, that was helpful. While it's very interesting somehow when I got to the part about when applying the shader the model vanishes I figured this is not exactly my cup of tea.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited July 2013

Does this involve any actual new shaders? The advertising copy can't make up its mind.

I just found this thread. This is my first product, I'm very excited about it and am open to answering questions.

As far as the shaders being new- If you're thinking of new like PWSurface or the Subsurface Shaders then I'd say no.

Here is an untouched render showing the shaders on primitives. The two back panels show what the shaders look like on larger planes. The torus is a dark UV base shader meant for non glowing surfaces like the metal body of a Recognizer (Tron).

There is more info here: http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16756/start

UV_Primitives_JMarsh.jpg
    894 x 517 - 213K
    Post edited by Marshian on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Chohole, that was helpful. While it's very interesting somehow when I got to the part about when applying the shader the model vanishes I figured this is not exactly my cup of tea.

Patience55- Oh, you're referring to my post about experimenting with Uber Volume. Those shaders are tricky- a lot of changing opacity back and forth to see the object in order to position it and then dropping it to 0% when ready to render. Uber volume turns models into smoke or dust.

The set of shaders included with UltrueViolet do not use uber volume. You will still see your model after applying the shader- actually because it has an ambient quality it will be brighter and easier seen than before. :cheese:

edited December 1969

marshian said:

Patience55- Oh, you're referring to my post about experimenting with Uber Volume. Those shaders are tricky- a lot of changing opacity back and forth to see the object in order to position it and then dropping it to 0% when ready to render. Uber volume turns models into smoke or dust.

The set of shaders included with UltrueViolet do not use uber volume. You will still see your model after applying the shader- actually because it has an ambient quality it will be brighter and easier seen than before. :cheese:

Oh that's good. Does it work in 4.5? [I'm refusing to have to look at that ucky monster thing of 4.6 everytime I open the program]

edited December 1969

I just tested it in 4.5.1.6 and it works just fine.
    The monster thing is pretty horrible looking- The soft pretty glowing girl next to it just makes it look more crusty.

edited December 1969

marshian said:
    I just tested it in 4.5.1.6 and it works just fine.
    The monster thing is pretty horrible looking- The soft pretty glowing girl next to it just makes it look more crusty.

Okay thank you. Back on the list it goes! :-)

• Mage 13X13Mage 13X13 Posts: 433
    Marshian said:

Agent_Unawares said:

I just found this thread. This is my first product, I'm very excited about it and am open to answering questions.

As far as the shaders being new- If you're thinking of new like PWSurface or the Subsurface Shaders then I'd say no.

Here is an untouched render showing the shaders on primitives. The two back panels show what the shaders look like on larger planes. The torus is a dark UV base shader meant for non glowing surfaces like the metal body of a Recognizer (Tron).

There is more info here: http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/16756/start

I recently got the UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders, and after several tries I cannot get them to actually glow. I think a complete step by step tutorial could help folks like me to understand how to use them. I fould the Ultraviolet light rig in DAZ Studio Formats>Light Presets, but how do I use it?

Please make a tutorial explaining the use of this potentially awesome product. 

Hi Mage 13X13,

If we could troubleshoot a little we may not need a tutorial. Could you follow these steps? If you're still not getting the glow please post a screencap.

1. Make sure 3Delight is selected as your render engine.
    2. Load the lights
    3. Load a sphere (make sure its selected in both scene and surfaces tab)
    4. Apply one of the shaders to the sphere (I picked the flo orange)
    5. Do a test render

It should look like the image attached below

UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders.png
    491 x 491 - 86K

Here is what three spheres on a plane looks like

UltrueViolet Light and Glowing Shaders 2.png
    491 x 491 - 228K