PoserDirect is closing down

After 10 years of running PoserDirect and running Sparkyworld since 2001, I've decided not to renew the hosting this year. So around the 19th of October 2018, Poserdirect will be closing down.

Obviously, respecting the rules here, won’t be discussing anything commercial, there’s info on the site about that. But I can say it for a while it will affect the over 300 freebies that are stored there (it stores the ones on Sparkyworld and other 3d sites) . Over time I will be adding the freebies to other 3D/Poser sites, but that won't be a quick process

Why ? 

We've recently had the bereavement of a close family member. Dealing with this, and increased hours as a carer, has meant I've not been able to give the site & content creation the time it (and the 3D community) deserve. 

On an artistic level, "Traditional" Poser imagery just isn't tickling my artistic funnybone anymore. Instead, when time permits, I'm getting greater pleasure when using 3D in convergence with other materials, such as 3D printing, card, clay or wood.

Paypal and Googles (understandable) insistence on SSL is also an issue on technical and financial levels.  Browsers and search engines are starting to flag websites without as insecure. Plus some hosts charge as much for the SSL certification as they do for the hosting! Many, like my current one, don’t allow the likes of services such as LetsEncrypt. Which after a funeral bill, doesn’t help. 

So grab some goodies while you can and finally thanks for using the sites over the last 17 years. Though it’s not a total goodbye, I will be still around here and other places.   

Comments

• hjakehjake Posts: 812

thank you for all your contributions and may fortune favor you in the challenges you are facing.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a close family member is one of the hardest things to go through. I hope your heart finds healing and peace. It does get better with time. *hugs*

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,681
    edited August 2018

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss... I have fond memories of your website.
    I purchased a megapack in the past from your site and also made use of several freebies. I also remember how happy I was to find the ambulance on your site as I was in dire need of one.

Thanks for your amazing content and I want to wish you strength en happiness in your future endeavors!

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268

I so sorry for your recent loss.

PoserDirect and SparkyWorld will be missed in poserverse; but thanks for the firesale offer. I have taken advantage of it.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

sad news, love your stuff free and commercial I have much of both

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited August 2018

...very sad to hear about your loss.  Love your stuff and use it a lot in my scenes.  Also love the sense of humour in many of your freebies. We need more of that.

3D printing?  Would love a 3D Giggle Grenade.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. That is never easy. .................................... I really will miss stopping round to your site and seeing what's new. Be well
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Sorry for your loss and struggles. Thank you for so many fun creations.

• Yes grabbed the special before it's gone, best of luck for the future !!!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

sorry and condolences

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723

mrsparky I never purchased your products or visited your site. It's easy for me to lose track of everything. I stick with DAZ3D for that reason. I understand your decision to end your site and store. I've seen many well-established stores close over the years. RuntimeDNA was an example.

I wish you all the best. And please accept my sympathiies concerning your recent loss.

• SempieSempie Posts: 651

Sorry to see you go. Already bought your main bundle as a $ 10,- bargain, a while ago, and still have some stuff on Rendo wishlisted. You had some very whimsical ideas, that reflected in your models, a fresh kind of humor that was rare in the poserverse.

Sorry for your loss, and I wish you all the best on your future endeavors.

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited August 2018

So sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the firesale. I've just grabbed 1. 

Wish you best of luck in the future! smiley

Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I haven't visited your site (no Poser for me) but thank you so much for making it available for others. Very generous. I hope you find peace and healing in the upcoming days, weeks, months, and years.

Novica said:

I haven't visited your site (no Poser for me) but thank you so much for making it available for others. Very generous. I hope you find peace and healing in the upcoming days, weeks, months, and years.

most of it's props, you select the surfaces and click iray uber shader and your done yes

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248

Thanks for the kind words everyone - just about to stick the carer hat on - but briefly nearly everything works in studio (even poser figures)- like th3digit says just play around with the textures/materials, just like any other poser model in studio. Plus I'm mindfull that not everyone uses poser, indeed sometimes I've used vue so most stuff is carefully mapped so you can change/add shaders etc.    

BTW to easily get them all I added a multiple url extension from the Chrome store that opens one url at a time pasting the text in from the file list you get emailed

and 7zip nicely merges all the runtimes and folders if you select them all and extract all

• Good tip wendy doing it one at a time was driving me around the bend !!!

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    mrsparky said:

After 10 years of running PoserDirect and running Sparkyworld since 2001, I've decided not to renew the hosting this year. So around the 19th of October 2018, Poserdirect will be closing down.

Thanks for all the fish!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    mrsparky said:

Thanks for all the fish!

+1 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    mrsparky said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone - just about to stick the carer hat on - but briefly nearly everything works in studio (even poser figures)- like th3digit says just play around with the textures/materials, just like any other poser model in studio. Plus I'm mindfull that not everyone uses poser, indeed sometimes I've used vue so most stuff is carefully mapped so you can change/add shaders etc.    

..I have no trouble with them in Daz.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Sorry to hear this

Best wishes going forward

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

sad to hear ... I previously bought all your products and have always found a use for them.. they work great in Carrara

your store will be missed... and your quirky freebies crying

good luck with whatever the future holds for you yes

• Any chance of migrating the for-purchase products over to another site, such as here or 'Rocity?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for the timely heads up, thank you for all the laughs I got from your descriptions and funny props, thank you for being such a nice person!

Once again thanks everyone for your support and sympathay, it actually means a lot. 

As for the questions and thoughts some of you have, sorry if I miss anyone out and if this is the same post on most sites.
    Just got off a 14 hour shift and I'm fried. So excuse the virtual dribbling :) 

Bascially the plan is, stuff the commercial side of things come October, but the freebies are something thats important to a lot of you out there.
    I hear that and I'm going to talk to various people to see if we can come with some ideas so that the majority can be saved. Possibly enmass.

PS -  

th3Digit - whats that chrome thingy called ? 

mrsparky said:

Once again thanks everyone for your support and sympathay, it actually means a lot. 

As for the questions and thoughts some of you have, sorry if I miss anyone out and if this is the same post on most sites.
    Just got off a 14 hour shift and I'm fried. So excuse the virtual dribbling :) 

Bascially the plan is, stuff the commercial side of things come October, but the freebies are something thats important to a lot of you out there.
    I hear that and I'm going to talk to various people to see if we can come with some ideas so that the majority can be saved. Possibly enmass.

PS -  

th3Digit - whats that chrome thingy called ? 

forgot exact name because I uninstalled it afterward 

and am on my ipad now, not using PC today,

(hate clogging my browser with unneeded extensions so only use them when needed then ditch them)

but it was the third option searching the Google Chrome store  for open multiple URLs

edited August 2018

message edited as have communicated in private

heart

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

h3Digit - gonna respect TOS here so sent you an IM about your mate.
    Also thanks for the info about the chrome thingy.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited August 2018
    mrsparky said:

I tried to download the freebie section with Offline Explorer but because of the site structure it grabbed almost all the files on the site anyway, so I just grabbed the whole site instead. The program converts the files so that the copy can be browsed offline just like the online site. This way you can browse all the freebies with promo pictures etc.. Click on a download link and File Explorer opens with the file selected. Very handy. 

AFAIR the trial version is fully functional if anyone should want to give it a try, I used the Pro version but for this site the Standard version will probably work as well. The whole site is about 1GB and took about half an hour to download with a 20 MBit connection.

https://metaproducts.com/products/offline-explorer
    https://metaproducts.com/products/offline-explorer-pro

I'd be happy to zip my copy and share it in some way, but it depends on what mrsparky thinks about the idea.

Post edited by Taoz on