Animators & Artist., Disney is giving away Moana Island Scene

IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
edited August 2018 in Freebies

Over a 150 gigs of content including the animation and volumetric files  for Moana Island Scene

Disney is is offering this set to the public for research.   The Disney Studios licenses for this dataset is distributed under open source creative common license.  ReadMe . This set will load in many types of software that can do Physically Based Rendering like blender, Maya, Mudbox. Poser & Carrara and Disney offers the geometry files as a.obj for importing into other software like daz studio and sketch-up etc... Disney includes the PBRT ( Physically Based Rendering Toolkit)software as well for R& D and rendering development. for GPU Physically Based Rendering. which is great if your using a server

This is a great opportunity to see how Disney files look and work if you ever been wondering , Just keep in mind you may need a HHD drive just for this dataset at a 150 gigs of content.I put my download in 2 TB external sand box to play with it .  you can read more and download the dataset here if interested . Moana Island Scene

Post edited by Ivy on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Thanks, it's the clouds & oceans that are most interesting...

• James_HJames_H Posts: 996

I just get a page not found response.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

https://www.technology.disneyanimation.com/islandscene

https://www.technology.disneyanimation.com/clouds

LOL 15 hours to DL

I edited the end off of Ivy's link to go to the main page

edited August 2018

according to the Polycount forum (if it ever downloads)

• So, I have some good news and bad news for you. The good news is json files are readable by most programming languages, so you can fairly easily write your own scene assembly system. The bad news is you have to write said system. However, you are able to open up the obj files to inspect them at your leisure.

for those who can compile crap there is this
    https://github.com/levork/mis2rib

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited August 2018

well the clouds which I downloaded are vdb and Octane render for Carrara 3 can read openVDB in the volumetric fog tab

one of them

am rendering an animation of all 11 of them 

(I prefer Carrara clouds personally)

it has a exr too I did not load

dc0050.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 390K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited August 2018

yes its over 150 gigs of content. , It tooks me about 7 hours to download everything. I haven't loaded the island yet.  I going to test it in Blender sometime today to see how or if it will load  , I did get the EXR to work in daz studio, I'll try the clouds in blender too. . I am hoping if i can get it loaded into blender i can resave it as a  wavelength obj file  or save it a poser file PZ3 and then try to get it to work in daz. I was able to get it to load in my student version of Maya but i had a lot of errors popping up stating how many VBS plugins I have missing in Maya..lol

I just thought it be interesting to see how they Disney interactive  set up their animations setdata

Post edited by Ivy on
    th3Digit said:

according to the Polycount forum (if it ever downloads)

• So, I have some good news and bad news for you. The good news is json files are readable by most programming languages, so you can fairly easily write your own scene assembly system. The bad news is you have to write said system. However, you are able to open up the obj files to inspect them at your leisure.

for those who can compile crap there is this

Yes I should have mentioned it opens as Json file

cloud needed to be rotated 90degrees on X but still rather faint in Octane

c0003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 434K
    edited August 2018

I agree with you Wendy I think the Carrara Clouds look better . I am currently rendering a 5seconds cloud animation using Poser Pro with python thanks for the github link BTW I needed it read the VBD file in Volumetrics in poser  also I could not get the clouds to show up until I started adding gray color to the light in  fierfly , I'll post my results when it gets done its taking about 2 minutes a keyframe to render at 1200  x 950  I could not get it to cycle in 1080 with poser for some reason. to me it does not look all that good .. also the EXR files are flat which pretty much makes them only good for still renders.

Have you tried Blender yet?

I wonder how i can modify it for daz though from poser

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited August 2018

well good new bad news I was able to get the animation rendered . Bad news when I went to save it to share the files,  I got the BSOD and lost everything in my script editor before the save was complete. its the first time I got a BSOD in like years too I hope thats not sign of a pending system failure

view cloud here  https://drive.google.com/file/d/19pbn1wR1IEkkPDy2LDUREi1Z8sZnuhta/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19pbn1wR1IEkkPDy2LDUREi1Z8sZnuhta/view?usp=sharing

Post edited by Ivy on

well your cloud much more substantial than mine yes

I have Poser may need to try that sometime hopefully no BSOD

hope your PC OK 

• Definitely wil not fit on my flash drive.

edited August 2018

I went over every inch of my system I even went through the events viewer logs and I didn't find any critical errors or any events showing in red. , so maybe it was just poser being a itself.. the poser log file was cleared during the BSOD so I have no idea what was on it.   But I don't think i'll try that again just in case.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601

thanks, maybe they throttle it because the 45GB has a time of arrival of 7 hours 

mcjChain - free poser/daz chain prop by mCasual

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209

Hmmmm will have to start the base download when I first get on the computer tomorrow as I don't have time tonight.  Too bad they didn't offer smaller files, might be a lot of files in doing so, but at least with some internet systems it would be easier.

well it is a lot of work to use

plants will need all the leaves and flowers replicated/instanced on them and the ptex materials could be a problem for most of my apps

Ultrascatter might help on the plants but the hierarchy file rather useless there, best one could do is maybe just eliminate some areas like trunks with the geometry editor 

don't think I would have downloaded it had I realised just how fragmented it is, I thought game assets like my Skyrim nifskope exports were bad but still in bigger pieces than this and can load all their dds textures at least in DAZ studio too!

actually I may be better off using LAMH to add the leaves and flowers!

edited August 2018
    mCasual said:

thanks, maybe they throttle it because the 45GB has a time of arrival of 7 hours 

mcjChain - free poser/daz chain prop by mCasual

any chance of you being able to concoct up a DAZ script to load the json presets? heart

• That is a very interesting island scene for me to consider a Hawaii-themed plot in my animated series (assuming I give it a toon render), but considering the scene will consume many hours of download time and take up too many GB of my hard drive, I will pass on this scene.

If there is a Hawaiian-style island scene I could download for free or even purchase, I may likely consider.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Those files were ran on machines that have hundreds of gigabytes of RAM and massive parallelized CPU counts in the hundreds so it's not happening on my computer. I will have to wait for Unity to finish bringing reasonal realtime stand-ins for that Disney/Pixar technology via their game render engines. 

It is still interesting to look at though.

• RbugRbug Posts: 166

I downloaded it  in about one hour. And I looks pretty decent once unloaded..........yes I do have a big machine...... I used to do contract work for movie companies, so my machine had to match thier machines.

Damn why does everything have to be compiled and even if by some miracle someone made a Windows Binary apparently you need 55GB of RAM to render it!!!

DAZ studio does read ptx files BTW too but the ones in that folder for the obj files are around 17GB each and it bloody cannot cope with that

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Cool, but dang that's going to take forever to download! 

th3Digit said:

Damn why does everything have to be compiled and even if by some miracle someone made a Windows Binary apparently you need 55GB of RAM to render it!!!

DAZ studio does read ptx files BTW too but the ones in that folder for the obj files are around 17GB each and it bloody cannot cope with that

What I ried to do for the island parts was imported it into Blender then resaved it as a wavelength obj. and reduced the size to poser 1.1 scale  it still loads bloody huge 115 gig.obj the ploy count must be rediculous because I only have 124 gigs of ram  which will load the file in daz,  But my system BSOD everytime i hit render, because my log file is cleared or not recording the eventI have to assume its over loading my systems resources to the point it over whelms its capabilities and shuts down to protect the system. its the only obj i ever worked with that BSOD my system. So I quit playing with this set before i do something to harm my PC