What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited July 2013

You can do that now in DS, thats genesis on pictures. Apply smoothing modifier to genesis, set its collision item to what suits you. For the hip part, wear some gloves, set them as collision item, while lovering opacity of the gloves to 0 or make them invisible in render. Downside to wearing gloves in this fashion is that genesis hands will try to go around the gloves which will make them bigger, fatter looking. So perhaps lovering scale of the hands or size with morphs or it wont be so noticeable if you have some tight fitting gloves. Or some more tinkering with smoothing options. I didnt tinker with it for long.

yeah but i think he means a real time automatic collision system.
    like hands auto pose around the object and not move inside it.
    or legs and hands not move inside the genesis body mesh but bend nice around it (like fingers around the hip or the other arm or leg).

that's what you can't do in daz.
    and the big need of a "real time collision system".

Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • RiffulRifful Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

CUDA acceleration would be nice. Offload some of the rendering and preview work on to the GPU.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited December 1969

Here's what bothers me about the way content is managed.

You go to your content library. You have some poses you just downloaded. You go to the folder with those poses and you categorize them.

Default>Presets>Poses>Genesis>(whatever further category you require)

And what does that do?

Nothing.

The poses do not show up in smart content. The poses do not show up as poses in the content library. For all intents and purposes you seem to have wasted your breath.

Now you have to go into Content DB Editor and tell it the EXACT SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

Content management on Daz feels like you're dealing with someone who has brain damage and simply cannot comprehend what you're talking about. It reminds me exactly of what it was like dealing with my last drummer. The guy did too damned many drugs in the 70s and couldn't remember anything you told him.
    Just made some cube in Hexagon, exported it, imported in DS, saved as prop/figure, ignoring meta-data options while saving. Than I went to content library, selected it, activated content DB editor, set its type as prop, added root category default/figures and it now shows in smart content, under figures with "prop" on icon. Without doing right click - categorize part.

So Im thinking, DS sort of works with or on 2 levels, base program level and content database level which is on top of program. So categorizing something from content library, sort of tells DS "you better make that category active for this item or ill go and use Poser instead" on program level. Which is useful for new commercial products, where authors cant count that users will have that categories, so they would include categories in products for DS program level. But if I just want to make something something show up in already existing smart content category, well thats content database level, meaning just using the content database editor to categorize item for smart content.

But than, I could be wrong, which could cause some trouble latter, so ill quote my EULA: "3. Ben is not responsible nor liable for anything." :D ;)
    yeah but i think he means a real time automatic collision system.
    like hands auto pose around the object and not move inside it.
    or legs and hands not move inside the genesis body mesh but bend nice around it (like fingers around the hip or the other arm or leg).

that's what you can't do in daz.
    and the big need of a "real time collision system".

Yeah, that would be useful. In which case I would want turn off switch. Perhaps, options to designate what is solid and what is not solid in the scene.
  • kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Forget all the fancy new features and perfect the present ones. Has anyone mentioned

1 stability ??????
    2 documentation??????

Cheers
    GG ;-)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...that's just wishful thinking. ; )

What I'd like to see is a transform control where one could rotate texture tiles in the surfaces tab. So often I find a great tiled texture to use but it's "grain" (for lack of a better term) is following the wrong line (axis?) when applied.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You can rotate textures (in 90 degree increments only) using LIE, Layered Image Editor.

edited December 1969

...I know, but when you have set elements that are at an angle or want a different angle for effect (say 30°) you are still out of luck.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I know, but when you have set elements that are at an angle or want a different angle for effect (say 30°) you are still out of luck.

As a workaround, rotate it in a graphics program and save it out as a separate copy.

edited July 2013

...but wouldn't that mess up the tiling?

Apologies for all the questions but I'm still fairly new to this aspect of 3D.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,736
    edited December 1969

Rotation can be done with the Shader Mixer, but of course that requires that the whole shader be set up there - you can't feed a rotated texture into one of the standard shaders (except for the DAZ Default Shader, which can be copied into Shader Mixer)..

• Inner-Fire StudiosInner-Fire Studios Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this one has already been mentioned... Didn't have time to read the whole thread but really want to put in my 2¢

I would love to the se constraints added to the "Point To" function so that we can enable rotation by axis. Also a function to make figures' heads face cameras or whatever other object.
    I think I have seen a script for that somewhere but can't seem to find it now

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Better interface. Daz Studio 3 and below were much better in this regard.

Never really dipped into this thread before now.

Yes, I'm seeing the difference very clearly right now as I'm resaving a bunch of old A3/H3-based characters originally created in D|S1.8 and 3 so they're at least reliably loading in D|S4.6 — and some of these differences are really glaring.

* In D|S3 I open a folder in the Content tab, the top level of the folder snaps to the top of the tab and the folders inside run neatly down the tab. It makes drilling down through folder levels easier and faster. In D|S4 the folder opens but doesn't snap to the top. It adds a bit of scrolling time for every level I drill down. The old behaviour was much more intuitive.

* About that scrolling with the mouse scroll wheel in the Content tab (also Parameters tab and probably others I never use): it's neat and controlled in D|S3, just like in Windows itself and all other programs I use, but less accurate and constantly runs away with me in D|S4, and I can't find any settings to change this.

* Still in the Content tab: looking at the ordering of filenames in D|S3 and D|S4, why was this changed? I used to use "~" in the name to force an item to the top of a list, in D|S4 this forces it to the bottom.

* Editing parameter dial settings. "Double-click on the name" in D|S3 gave instant access to the settings, it would be nice to have this again. In D|S4 it requires more accurate clicking on smaller targets.

As for the D|S UI itself, a lot of us old-timers would still love to see the actual Classic layout return as an option. I think we can all agree now that the old reason "Qt changes and the new D|S capabilities mean the Classic features can't be recreated" isn't the answer to the question we've actually been asking. There are a lot of the new features I don't use, but I've seen lots of screenshots, and I have yet to see anything that won't look right in Classic. Even with the City Limits layout, the Highway or Darkside styles are bulkier and clumsier than Classic. (And no, Darkside isn't based on D|S3 Classic, it's based on D|S3 Nouveau Dark. Close, but no Cuban nicotiniferous products.)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

I agree with all you mentioned SpottedKitty!

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Oh! Oh! I just remembered one.

Using a transparent png as a diffuse map applies the alpha channel of the png to the opacity map as well (which can be over ridden by applying another opacity map image).

edited July 2013

Rotation can be done with the Shader Mixer, but of course that requires that the whole shader be set up there - you can't feed a rotated texture into one of the standard shaders (except for the DAZ Default Shader, which can be copied into Shader Mixer)..

...well that's a pain, especially as I think this should work with premade shader tiles.

Say I have a nice black & white stripe tiled pattern that is vertical, but would like to apply it at an angle on a 60s mod style dress (actually saw someone wearing such a dress the other day). It would mean instead of using the premade tile I already have I'd have to create my own shader from scratch in the Shader Mixer? That's a lot of extra work.

If one can already move the map horizontally and vertically, why can't there be a control to rotate the angle of the map as well? It would make things a lot simpler.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...well that's a pain, especially as I think this should work with premade shader tiles.

Say I have a nice black & white stripe tiled pattern that is vertical, but would like to apply it at an angle on a 60s mod style dress (actually saw someone wearing such a dress the other day). It would mean instead of using the premade tile I already have I'd have to create my own shader from scratch in the Shader Mixer? That's a lot of extra work.

If one can already move the map horizontally and vertically, why can't there be a control to rotate the angle of the map as well? It would make things a lot simpler.

Not necessarily from scratch - if it uses the DAZ Default Shader open Sahder Mixer, in its File menu choose copy from scene, Accept. Then as i recall the Shader Mixer tutorial in the store includes a Rotate brick you could drop in between the Tile brick and the actual image map, or creating one of your own for recycling as needed is pretty simple.

edited December 1969

Building on KK's and Ghastly's requests: Make the LIE into GPIE, General Purpose Image Editor with as many of the features/tools you would find in IrfanView or XnView.

Kind of building on Kattey's and RamWolfe's requests: I would like to see a better default UI and stick with that one and only one UI. Then provide better tools and instructions for customizing the look, function and layout and even the icons/theme.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2013

Hmm. this is a small one but would love a 'save and quit' option. Too often I have a big project I am saving and I have to quit manually after saving.

Would like a better method for making clothing appear realistic Clothing seems to be less realistic than the figure lots of times.

Lighting to be more intuitive. I find lighting to be a chore, and it is not very intuitive. It would be awesome if there were better controls to make lighting simpler for folks.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I find lighting to be a chore, and it is not very intuitive. It would be awesome if there were better controls to make lighting simpler for folks.

Unfortunately, what we have now is the "intuitive and simpler" option, at least looking at the lights that come out of the box in D|S — the problem with lighting is that it really is hideously complicated and takes a lot of getting used to. I've been using D|S since the early beta days, and I can't say I was really using lights easily or well until I finally began to get my head wrapped around the subject with D|S4.5.
    edited July 2013

RAMWolff said:
    I agree with all you mentioned SpottedKitty!

Thanks, I know I'm not alone in this, but it's nice to hear from others. And now a couple more...

* The controls around the Viewport. These were in the top left corner before D|S4, then for no reason they were moved to the top right corner. I just can't get used to the difference, especially since I use both D|S3 and D|S4.

* If I use the "Docked View Controls" option I get them back in the proper corner, but I lose the Cube View. This is IMHO one of the major camera control improvements in D|S3; although it took me a little while to get used to it, I now really miss it when I can't use it. I can't think of any reason the two settings can't be combined, it's a nuisance having to bounce back and forth between the two modes.

Someone else's turn now. ;-)

Edit: Whups, didn't realise that earlier reply was in the same thread... :red:

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited December 1969

Hmm. this is a small one but would love a 'save and quit' option. Too often I have a big project I am saving and I have to quit manually after saving.

Well, if you quit without saving you should get a prompt to save - backwards, but it would (I think) achieve the desired end result.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Building on KK's and Ghastly's requests: Make the LIE into GPIE, General Purpose Image Editor with as many of the features/tools you would find in IrfanView or XnView.

Kind of building on Kattey's and RamWolfe's requests: I would like to see a better default UI and stick with that one and only one UI. Then provide better tools and instructions for customizing the look, function and layout and even the icons/theme.

...yes.
    edited December 1969

Well, if you quit without saving you should get a prompt to save - backwards, but it would (I think) achieve the desired end result.
    ...how about an improved save function that updates better?

In 4.6 I find sometimes I accidentally end up saving scene changes to my scene subset files (which are usually my individual characters). I'll point the "save as" to the Scenes folder, enter the new name, but when it is finished saving the name of the working file in the top right hand corner is still that of the scene subset file, not the new scene (for example "Leela4" [the subset file] instead of "Leela at the beach" [the full scene with the Leela character in it]).

So, if somewhere along the line I click just "save" (and I still perform frequent intermittent saves, an old habit from working on 32 bit when I had a lot of crashes), it appends all the scene elements to the character file saved in the Scene Subsets folder, not the full scene in the Scenes folder. When this occurs I have to close and reload the subset file save it again as the scene with the that name (getting the warning there is already a file with that name) then close that, reload the file a second time, remove all the scene components, and save it again so I only have the character saved as the scene subset.

This kind of feature works in almost all other software I use from 2D, to spreadsheet, to word processing. You "save as [new name]", and that is the file you are now working on, not the parent one.

edited December 1969

Bug report that, please.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

This is going to be a really stupid idea, I know, because I guess it could have been used long ago.

BUT........ why can't the plug-ins that are used in DS 4.6 be used also in DS 5.0 ?

Can DS be built for this to be possible?

edited December 1969

...that actually depends on the PAs who create the plugins. They would need the Studio5 SDK to upgrade their products.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...that actually depends on the PAs who create the plugins. They would need the Studio5 SDK to upgrade their products.

Right.... that is how it works and has worked.

Why can't DS 5 be built so it is able to use the plug - ins that are presently available for DS 4.6 ?
    It seems very inefficient to have to rebuild the plug - ins every time a new version of DS comes out, and it costs us a lot of money to upgrade the plug - ins when moving to a new version of DS.

edited December 1969

Plug-ins are built using a scripting language, if the language is updated along with Studio then the plug-in has to be updated also.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Plug-ins are built using a scripting language, if the language is updated along with Studio then the plug-in has to be updated also.

But I thought the plug - ins for Poser could be used across iterations of Poser.
    Am I misinformed in that?

• ColdrakeColdrake Posts: 236
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:

But I thought the plug - ins for Poser could be used across iterations of Poser.
    Am I misinformed in that?

Yes.

Coldrake