Like a Phoenix from the Ashes, Who Wants to Render a Superhero?

Comments

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Got a notice that TerryMcG has posted his Lynda Carter-style Wonder Woman outfit.

Other stuff going on at the moment, but I'm looking forward to playing with it when I have a chance to get back to my art computer.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:
    Got a notice that TerryMcG has posted his Lynda Carter-style Wonder Woman outfit.

Other stuff going on at the moment, but I'm looking forward to playing with it when I have a chance to get back to my art computer.

In her satin tights, fighting for our rights, and the old, red, white, and blue....

Crap, now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day.

• CricketCricket Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Superboy, Robin and Wonder Girl

Very cool. How did you do the emblems? I've been trying for about 3 days and it's driving me crazy!!

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited December 1969

equinoxx5 said:

In her satin tights, fighting for our rights, and the old, red, white, and blue....

Oh, you mean this song?

Funny-nanna-batman-pictures.jpg
    851 x 881 - 140K
  • simulacraftsimulacraft Posts: 9
    edited July 2013

Rduda said:
    Working Photoshop hard last night, but I'm happy with the water color affect for the Joequick bats.

That's really nice work. I wouldn't think of Photoshop for a watercolor image, but that's really spot on.

Post edited by simulacraft on
  • equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Oh, you mean this song?

Oh, that's just EVIL...

But y'know who's not evil? TerryMcG! First it was the satin tights, now... the hotpants! He followed up the TV-style Wonder Woman with my all-time favorite Supergirl outift. Had to make the time to crank out a quick render of this one. Oh, and if the slippers aren't your cup of chai, he included a pair of boots, too!

SGHotPants.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 860K
  • MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Isosceles said:

Very cool. How did you do the emblems? I've been trying for about 3 days and it's driving me crazy!!

Don't know how sgreco1970 did it, but I just watched a tutorial on youtube yesterday that was pretty cool, and should work with a regular body suit if you don't have the super suit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CR0ssZAdiM

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Isn't that the same Supergirl costume that was worn by Kara when she would visit the 31st Century? I remember when she and Brainiac were having an affair, back when Mike Grell illustrated, and iirc she had a low cut puffy sleeved top.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited July 2013

Quick Robin watercolor Photoshop affect

Robin01_SM.jpg
    1500 x 1283 - 1M
    Post edited by rduda on
  • edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Isn't that the same Supergirl costume that was worn by Kara when she would visit the 31st Century? I remember when she and Brainiac were having an affair, back when Mike Grell illustrated, and iirc she had a low cut puffy sleeved top.

Yeah, she wore it from about 1971 until the early 80's, including all of Mike Grell's reign.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Yeah, she wore it from about 1971 until the early 80's, including all of Mike Grell's reign.

My all time fav comic book decades! :-) The current Supergirl is a bit better off wardrobe wise than her last outfit with the mini skirt and that stupid half top look. I used to call her Super Slut Teen'a! lol

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

This one is my personal favorite. :)

SupergirlMatrix2.jpg
    450 x 368 - 64K
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited July 2013

This one is my personal favorite. :)

I like the blue top/skirt with gold trim look myself, but that's because I associate it with Grant Morisson's interpretation of the character (which is essentially a regurgitation of a one off story by Dylan Horrock)

There was a great story with Supergirl, written by Dylan Horrock with art by Jessica Abel, I believe. And just the way they presented it, it was really sort of childlike and charming, like a story for a ten year-old girl. I thought it was a great way of doing the character. There's one panel where she's standing there painting a landscape, and she's got all this cool stuff in her room. And I suddenly thought there's something that maybe we can play up here with Supergirl, the idea of her being really creative and into all kinds of stuff. So we see her room, and she's playing the guitar, and she's got a sewing machine, and a laptop and she's got all these designs for new costumes, and she paints and draws and likes to make things and learn things.

It was my way of visually filling in backstory in a way that made her slightly more appealing, because they haven't really gotten a handle on her over the years. They've tried to do her as this bratty teenage girl, and then they tried to do her like a nice teenage girl. And I just thought, let's think what a real super-powered teenager might be like with that Kryptonian brain. I just figured she'd get bored easily and be into a lot of different stuff, and would be really well read and witty, and cool and self-assured as a result. And that's already a more appealing take on Supergirl. So the idea in Final Crisis was to present her as that cool, kind of switched-on, connected young girl.

Post edited by JoeQuick on
  • CricketCricket Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Isosceles said:

Don't know how sgreco1970 did it, but I just watched a tutorial on youtube yesterday that was pretty cool, and should work with a regular body suit if you don't have the super suit..

Yeah, that's what I did, but while the emblem shows up fine, it disappears when I render the image, and I don't know why.

edited December 1969

Isosceles said:
    Isosceles said:

Yeah, that's what I did, but while the emblem shows up fine, it disappears when I render the image, and I don't know why.

Displacement maps could be hiding the emblem if your using them. Try turning it down or perhaps thicken the the suit that has the emblem on it.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

So... it's just been confirmed that there's going to be a World's Finest Batman/Superman movie to follow Man of Steel.

They're actually going through with it. Who'd have ever thought :)
    http://www.comicvine.com/articles/superman-batman-on-the-big-screen-in-2015/1100-146897/

I suspected after seeing man of steel. At the very least Bruce Wayne would be coming after Superman for the damage done to his satelite in the battle with Zod..

edited December 1969

Boooo! Hiss! Hiss!

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Here's a question I don't think I've ever seen answered : Has anybody released a set of those "Under-Arm" type wings like The Falcon or Black Bolt have?

I tried a few different fan props, but couldn't get them working properly or looking good.

Any leads would be appreciated.

edited December 1969

Here's a question I don't think I've ever seen answered : Has anybody released a set of those "Under-Arm" type wings like The Falcon or Black Bolt have?

I tried a few different fan props, but couldn't get them working properly or looking good.

The only one I'm aware of is this one for V4. http://www.daz3d.com/v4-creature-wings

edited December 1969

Thanks!

Not perfect, but as you said - it's the only one.

Now - if Lovey-Cthulhu wins the Critter Contest, I'll be able to get them!

Been wanting to do a Black Bolt for a while, so those wings will need work. But I think I can do it.

There's no link to the templates on the product page. Can anybody post a screen shot of the mesh? I'm curious how much I can get away with using only texture and alpha maps, vs having to model a morph (that still scares me!).

edited December 1969

Welcome. :)

Will this do?

Capture2.jpg
    966 x 631 - 44K
    Capture.JPG
    965 x 543 - 81K
    edited July 2013

That's perfect!

Thankies.

I think that could be be made into a lot of things with creative mapping :)

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,003
    edited December 1969

The only one I'm aware of is this one for V4. http://www.daz3d.com/v4-creature-wings
    There's also Rawn's add-on for those wings:
    http://www.daz3d.com/ccwings-variety-pack

edited December 1969

Thanks for that!

But ... now I have to win even more contests :)

I better get renderin'

edited December 1969

Thanks, tJohn. :)

That's perfect!

Thankies.

I think that could be be made into a lot of things with creative mapping :)

Your welcome. ;)

edited December 1969

Genesis. This is the third stab I've taken at Nightwing. I'm never quite in love with the costumes. this one is based on the young justice design. still need to finish the "holdster" on his thigh for his sticks.

nightsuit4.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 235K
    nightsuit3.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 315K
    nightsuit2.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 306K
    nightsuit1.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 285K
    nightsuit5.jpg
    1344 x 840 - 151K
    edited December 1969

Genesis 2 Female, Black Bat

bb5.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 286K
    bb4.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 183K
    bb3.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 182K
    bb2.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 211K
    bb1.jpg
    1120 x 840 - 196K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited July 2013

Nightwing looks good, Joe!

If I may suggest something: maybe echo the mask's shape in the pectoral logo and vise versa? Of course, the mask could do without a head and beak, I suppose, unless the head was aloft (bird-in-flight silhouette, dorsal view). Bring down the tail to end of nose/base of sternum...

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Joe I liked your other night wing, but yeah this one is awesome!

edited July 2013

Nightwing looks good, Joe!

If I may suggest something: maybe echo the mask's shape in the pectoral logo and vise versa? Of course, the mask could do without a head and beak, I suppose, unless the head was aloft (bird-in-flight silhouette, dorsal view). Bring down the tail to end of nose/base of sternum...

It's the Young Justice design: http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/young-justice/images/30785699/title/nightwing-photo

Post edited by JoeQuick on
This discussion has been closed.