July 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering

Comments

• So I have taken in to account all of your feedback, Lighting Triangles and the like, and done a new render but I still can't help but think maybe one comment was spot on, why simply not crop the original.

I dunno all feedback welcome and sorry for the delay, real life and all that, you know how it is.

Misthi At One (c).jpg
    2500 x 3000 - 5M
  • HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited July 2018

Not much. But at least a little bit of progress this weekend.

I'm working on the lighting currently. Here I'm working with a single key light and different environmental lights.

I also changed her expression quite a bit. 

July2018.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 623K
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • no noseno nose Posts: 299
    HighElf said:

Not much. But at least a little bit of progress this weekend.

I'm working on the lighting currently. Here I'm working with a single key light and different environmental lights.

I also changed her expression quite a bit. 

maybe it's just me, but she looks more like she's wearing a layer of shiny plastic rather then wet

No, it's not just you. It was pointed out on an earlier version too.

I will come to this issue as soon as I work on the water FX per se.

• Here's version I. Tried adjusting the position of the pointlight so it was more on his face then on his dog-tags, tweeked the color of his scar, and added the geoshell fur that came with the morph.

july2018i.png
    463 x 750 - 655K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

@shinji I have the impression that your DOF is a bit of and I would suggest moving the camera a bit upward and changing the angle an little, that woudl get us closer to his face and still showing the full figure

• GallowsGallows Posts: 95

In luv.

portrait.jpg
    504 x 378 - 139K
  • GallowsGallows Posts: 95

Princess.

princess.jpg
    415 x 311 - 118K
  • Linwelly said:

@shinji I have the impression that your DOF is a bit of and I would suggest moving the camera a bit upward and changing the angle an little, that woudl get us closer to his face and still showing the full figure

I tried to make use of your feedback Linwelly, by duplicating the camera I used in the last version before adjusting the new cameras position and angle. Also adjusted the DOF settings so he's clearer

Here's version J

july2018j.png
    463 x 750 - 690K

@ shinji yes its getting better, I don't have the feeling I have to tilt my head back to look up to him ;) I would still suggest you try to add a bit more contrast so he pops out more. You could try experimenting with the tonal mepping settings like burn highlights and crush blacks or tilt the room around him so that the dark entrance tunnel ends up positioned behind him. But I now start seeing him like the game character you would like him to present, so well done!

• Ok, here is my second go at this. Every thing looks alright but i,m not happy with some things in the scene, so i,m working on a third render and hopefully things turn out ok.

ProAlexis1.jpg
    2500 x 2700 - 7M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Ok, here is my second go at this. Every thing looks alright but i,m not happy with some things in the scene, so i,m working on a third render and hopefully things turn out ok.

Much better although it still needs a little tweak here and there as it still looks a bit lopsided to my eyes, which is hard to quantify and put into words :)

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I abandoned the other image after messing with it for awhile. I think the hair and expression were messing with me the most. Tried different hair but could not seem to get anything to look right in the image. I decided instead to do a Hi-key image:

Hi Key July 2018

I thought I'd pop in and see what everyone was up to. I love portrait month. :) This is absolutely stunning. I love the lighting and how it plays on her skin. 

dracorn said:

Version G here. Just increased the lumen of the pointlight by 50% if I remember right.

It's just beginning to get there.  I found I need to set the lumens to 30,000 to 50,000 or so, maybe even hair. So make a HUGE change.  You can always back off if it's too light.

Thanks for the advice Dracorn. I bumped the lumen by 4 times the amount for version H. Besides that I also changed the settings on the lens of his HUD (What was thaught to be an eye patch.) and tweeked the color of his scar some.

Shinji, you have a nice pose going here and I like that you've toned down your bright color choices. It looks good.

no nose said:

ok I fixed it slightly since I wasn't a fan of the angle

The background and lighting cast some nice shadows on your figure here. I like the new angle.

Hope i,m not to late.

I’m only part of the way through this scene and have a long way yet to finish, I would appreciate any help and tips.

I agree with @Fishtales. Cropping it with a different aspect ratio will help your portrait. Ideally, you don't want that much empty space in a portrait.

Linwelly said:

I tried to make use of your feedback Linwelly, by duplicating the camera I used in the last version before adjusting the new cameras position and angle. Also adjusted the DOF settings so he's clearer

Here's version J

His expression looks better. I'm not sure why his face seems blurrier. Is his head inside the DOF box with that camera? If he is, I'd check you camera settings. A screenshot might help.

Ok, here is my second go at this. Every thing looks alright but i,m not happy with some things in the scene, so i,m working on a third render and hopefully things turn out ok.

Here, I think you might have cropped in a little too much. Trying pulling out a little more. I think you might find a nice frame around her and the sword if you pull out a little bit. What kind of lighting are you using? I think playing with some rim lighting on her hair might add a nice touch. Right now, your lighting looks a little flat.

• This help Knittingmommy? Thanks for your feedback.

Screenshot 2018-07-26 19.32.25.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • I know we have less the a week left in the month, but this idea hit me tonight and wouldn't let go.

Don't know if I'll have a chance to do more with it do to the amount of time left in the month though.

july2018-2a.png
    463 x 750 - 592K

This help Knittingmommy? Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, it does. Try pulling the frame on the DOF in a little closer. I can't see where the other boundary is, but I think his face will be in better focus if you tighten the DOF box a little. Give it a try anyway and see if you like it.

That second image is a nice start. You might try to widen his stance a little with the front leg. He looks a little off from this angle. A big guy like that would probably have a wider, more powerful stance even when walking.

• I tried to tweek the settings on my main camera Knittingmommy. Not sure of how well it helped with his face, but here's version K.

july2018k.png
    463 x 750 - 660K

I tried to tweek the settings on my main camera Knittingmommy. Not sure of how well it helped with his face, but here's version K.

His face looks a little sharper. You also managed to pull the camera in a little tighter and not just the DOF. It looks like your cutting his toes off at the bottom. It looks good though.

• no noseno nose Posts: 299

Decided to do another one, messed a bit of the universial tool and expressions for it.

27th shot.png
    456 x 569 - 516K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited July 2018

A bit about DOF

Not Entries

This first image is with a default camera which is 65mm and doesn't have DOF turned on.

The second image is with DOF turned on. The camera was a duplicate of the first camera but I changed the settings to Camera 200mm, Focal Distance 1038.23, F/Stop 6.90. Because of the increase in focal length I had to pull the camera back to re-frame the render and the DOF starts just above the waist to just above his head and the sharp area is from just in front of his face to just behind his head. The reason for that is because the camera is above and pointing down so the DOF plane is at an angle. If you look you can see his legs and elbows are not sharp because of the narrow DOF setting. Also the reason for the longer Focal Length of 200mm is that it makes the background more out of focus than it would be with a smaller focal length.

kings-tent-copyright-003.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 628K
    kings-tent-copyright-004.jpg
    600 x 1200 - 481K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Well, here is my third go. Looks a lot better with some tweaking and have added a couple pieces of jewelry that i didn't make.

PrototypeAlexis4.jpg
    1335 x 2160 - 2M
  • emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 483

Hello, these are my portraits for july challange 2018, portraits. I did with DAZ Studio, genesis 3 and victoria 4. Rendered with Iray. No post work. I named the one with genesis 3, daily-life and the other one disappointed. Hope you like them.

bye

disappointed.jpg
    437 x 521 - 190K
    daily-life.jpg
    848 x 521 - 358K
  • emanuela1emanuela1 Posts: 483

I appreciate  comments and suggestions

bye

• thirdeyewiderthirdeyewider Posts: 4
    edited July 2018

Daughter of Eve - Daz studio + Iray. Postwork done with photoshop + Niktools.

Daughter of Eve - large.jpg
    1810 x 2560 - 3M
    Post edited by thirdeyewider on
  • Here is My second entry with Mishti, lights and all and it's simply titled "Glamour"

I think it's better, not in composition, but balance.

Mishti (D) Glamour.jpg
    2500 x 3000 - 3M
  • An entry, portrait of Marnie, aperture pushed to f/1.8. Edits in Procreate on Ipad. 

IMG_1497.JPG
    1348 x 1348 - 151K
    edited July 2018

The current WiP

I couldn't do anything this weekend. I prefered a real pool with real water. ;)

I started to work on the WaterFX, mainly the issu with the skin and dabbled again with tone mapping.

I really prefere the new wet look compared to the thick old one.

July2018_WiP.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 647K
    Post edited by HighElf on
    Gallows said:

Princess.

I Like this one a bit better from th twoo as its more a portrait in its original sense, the other one shows that its part of a scene, which distracts a bit from the portrait but is a nice idea for a work with a different focus.

For your princess I think it would make sense to checki if she's really looking at the camera and maybe add a bit depth of field to give her a better frame.

no nose said:

Decided to do another one, messed a bit of the universial tool and expressions for it.

I like the framing in the arch but woudl suggest to move the camera a little so that the head is not overlapping into the read part of the arch. For you as well I would suggest a taf od depth of field ( yeah I#m saying that to everybody, I love DOF :D)

Well, here is my third go. Looks a lot better with some tweaking and have added a couple pieces of jewelry that i didn't make.

welcome to the New user challenge, I like your work here all that seriousness with the childlike features.

In the moment the upwards sword takes a lot of the images, all that empty space weights a bit heavy on the head of the little knght. can you imageine a different pose for the sword so the head and face comes back into the center od the image? The perfect solution would point the attention of the viewver back to the face.