Found It! Postwork Challenge

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited July 2018 in Art Studio

Found It! Postwork Challenge

Speaking of fun, we need some, so I have a challenge for you. How good are you at postwork? Finding changes?  Strut your abilities in the Postwork Challenge. Here's your challenge:

1. Take a scene and do a Before and After, using the same render. The After postworked scene must have at least five changes that a typical person could spot with close scrutiny. This would be changes such as removing things from the scene, changing colors, or even adding to the scene! 

2. After that first five, you're free to make changes to really challenge our viewers, up to 25 changes total.

3. Post your Before and After in a post- DO NOT MAKE IT CLICKABLE.  This prevents accidental clicking and opening (and also- no cheating by clicking attachments, folks!) (You can download them and put them side by side in a graphics program to make it easier to spot changes. Just do NOT click back and forth, whatever you do. That's too obvious.) 

For people who are just curious however, click the attachments and you can then go back and forth. DO NOT POST ANYTHING YOU FIND USING THIS METHOD. You didn't find the changes, they flashed in your face! 

4. The height of the renders should be between 400 and 600 pixels. This makes scrolling up and down easy to compare the two images, but the image has to be large enough to see it. I would make a larger version, and simply restrict the size in the post (you put in the pixels in the image popup when you are putting it in the post) because people who aren't guessing can click them and go back and forth, and be amazed at what you did, or how bad they are at spotting changes LOL.)  Horizontal scenes do better for this challenge. 

5. Give you render a title and put it at the top of your post. Directly below that, put "Changes: Number."  (Like Changes: 20)  See mine as an example, below. It's easy.

I will create an Master List post with your render name, a link to it, and all the changes that have been found so far- and who the Found It! person is. 

6. This is important- when spotting the changes, each Found It! person is restricted to one to MAXIMUM four finds until another person has a chance to give one to four finds. (Unless we get stuck. I'll monitor it, and open it up if progress is lacking.) This makes sure one person doesn't come in and spoil the fun for everyone else.

7.  When finding things, please label your post    (Render Name) FOUND IT!  and list
1. (what you found and be very specific)   
2. (what you found and be very specific)
etc up to FOUR.

Do not list any previous renders where you have already identified changes, obviously. You can use any previous artwork that has been published. Pick detailed scenes to make it easier for you to do changes.

Have fun! How eagle-eyed are you? How good at postwork?

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2018

Master List of Renders:

Click on these to go straight to the renders. If this is your first visit, DO NOT scroll down as the list of Found It! comes next, and will tell you the changes which have already been found. What fun is that on your first visit?

Warehouse   (Novica)

Bear With Me  (nonesuch00)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018

SPOILER ALERT

This post contains the list of what has already been found. Do not read further if you prefer to find the postworked items yourself!
    DO read what has been found before you post your Found Its, to avoid duplication. Have fun!

Scroll down.

Found It! 

Novica:  Warehouse
    Found It!  nonesuch00
    1. Cinder block removed (left)
    2. Cinder block pallet has supporting wood removed (foreground-the long horizontal dark area is extended.)
    6. The yellow window dark area (a bracket or something) was reduced.
    7. The wood cabinet duller brown square area is gone (look directly above the barrel on the right, who had the line added)

Found It!  Stormlyght
    3. Barrel on the right has an added ring around it
    4. The hair covers more of the ponytail
    5. The collar on her outfit has been removed which came across the chest (the "V" opening.) 
    8. The arrow has changed directions on the large crate on the right.
    9. The reflections in the water (foreground, by pallet) have been removed or dimmed.
    10. The woman's outfit is missing a lacing on the left leg, directly above the knee.

Found It!  Worlds_Edge
    11. The blue door in the background had gold running along the bottom which was removed. The door now goes down to the barrel.

nonesuch00   Bear With Me

Found It!  Novica
    1. the ferns were poking through the blue tent, right hand side. They've been removed
    2. the cloth in the bear's mouth has changed. Looks like a letter "N" is added.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018

reserved if needed to continue Found It!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018

Warehouse

Changes: 23.  All hand drawn! 

Before:

After:

FinalPOST.png
    700 x 829 - 892K
    FinalPOSTFUN.png
    700 x 829 - 886K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited July 2018

I'm working on a render that might leave no choice but to postwork it but I sort of like the way it's taking shape but it hasn't renderended long enough for me to be sure if it's going to need postwork. So with that in mine, I'll reserve my sport in your challenge.

OK, I'm definately going to have to postwork but the scene itself is going to take a long render time given it's being CPU rendered and has a lot of instances (Harpwood Trail).

+++++

OK, my game render is done (not really but it was at 1200 iterations, somewhat noisy, and not converging anytime fast so I called it).

Original is your left & postworked is your right.

Bear with Me! (original)

Bear with Me!

There are only 4 changes. 2 of the changes involve multiple changes but for the same objects. 

Bear with Me - original.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Bear with Me.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    edited July 2018

Okay, ready to go. You can list UP TO FOUR changes you have spotted in Warehouse. (then after someone has spotted one or more, you can do up to four more.)

How good are you? Bragging rights go to the FIRST PERSON who posts the find. 

Post edited by Novica on

I would have never of found a single change I don't think without clicking back & forth between the two. I tried to for about 2 minutes. They are good postwork edits.

I see:

Found It!  (nonesuch00)
    1. A cinder block added to the stack of cinder blocks.
    2. Metal Barrel in the rear has had a support corrugation ring added about midway up.
    3. The pallet holding the cinder blocks has had the supporting interior wood removed. 
    4. The ponytail hair band on the lady was reduced in size to make it appear the ponytail is lower on the back of the head.

edited July 2018

Ah, but you're not supposed to click back and forth! :) But we'll keep these for starters as it shows how close you have to look. And thanks, I liked the results. You have one backward though. A cinder block was not added. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited July 2018

"Found it" in @Novica render the "Warehouse":

1. Added a line around the background barrel on the right
    2. The pony tail hairband was reduced in size and hair painted to blend the change.
    3. Around the collar of the armor the middle band has been removed
    4. The "up" (arrow head) portion of the arrow on the wooden backdrop/pallet/door (not sure what it is) has been removed.

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on
    Novica said:

Ah, but you're not supposed to click back and forth! :) But we'll keep these for starters as it shows how close you have to look. And thanks, I liked the results.

Oh, duh! I even read that and forgot!

I'm going to give duplicate finds to Stormlyght as she did it the right way. But keep looking!

OK, I found 2 more without cheating & I know of two more but I won't name them because I noticed them when accidently cheating earlier.

Found it! (nonesuch00)

1) A lower metal brack (or something) on window in back is missing
    2) Some sort of reflection was removed from the cabinet behind the rear barrel

I will leave the rest to other participants.

@Stormlyght   Good job!  The hair and ponytail holder are one item. Great find on the collar! Since you had two items which were really one, if you've found one other thing, go ahead and post it.

OK, I found 2 more without cheating & I know of two more but I won't name them because I noticed them when accidently cheating earlier.

Found it! (nonesuch00)

LOL, you're adorable. At least you admitted you goofed. :)  Just give it awhile and see what is found, then jump in again if you'd like. There are some much harder things to see, so keep perusing for the difficult stuff. 

Novica said:

Found it! (nonesuch00)

LOL, you're adorable. At least you admitted you goofed. :)  Just give it awhile and see what is found, then jump in again if you'd like. There are some much harder things to see, so keep perusing for the difficult stuff. 

OK, I was thinking that maybe that was actually all except for the two changes I didn't mention.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited July 2018
    Novica said:

@Stormlyght   Good job!  The hair and ponytail holder are one item. Great find on the collar! Since you had two items which were really one, if you've found one other thing, go ahead and post it.

Okay, I added it to my original post and combined the hair and ponytail holder as one item.

Additional items are:

1. The highlight in the shadow of the foreground pallet has been reduced so that your eye isn't immediately drawn to it.
    2. Some of the lacing has been removed from the pants on the left leg of the model.

I too will leave the rest to other participants

Trish

Post edited by Stormlyght on

Aha, you caught the arrow changing! 

edited July 2018

One thing I will tell everyone- don't bother counting all those squiggly lines on the pallet holder her knee is on. That could drive you nuts and I wouldn't do that to you. (Well, I would, but ran out of time. Wicked cackle.)  I'm talking about the part of the pallet holding up the boards, that are facing you. The corner and middle posts have a lot of wood grain squiggly lines. Don't worry about those.

There are a couple changes that you realistically couldn't see in these sized renders, so when we get down to the final ones, I'll let you know.

Post edited by Novica on

@stormlyght   Yep, that's a puddle of water and the reflections were changed. Good find! 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

The blue door (left, back) has been extended down toward the barrel or been made more defined.

@worldsedge  I'm impressed- that's a small change and not one of the first ones I would expect to be found. You can find three more if you'd like, even if someone else hasn't posted :) 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317

Extendrd the cleat on the wall.

cleatinbackground.jpg
    182 x 115 - 5K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Not sure any of mine are sublte enough to post lol.  I will dig through my folders and see what I can find.

Extendrd the cleat on the wall.

nonesuch00  beat you to it. ("a metal brack or something got erased.")   But good guess! 

I'm struggling now & the only unmentioned difference I can find is:

Found it!

1. The entire lady has been brightened in post (actually looking closely the entire image has been brightened).

I worked off and on all day on my image for this game yesterday and have managed to reduce the number of things I'm going to have to postwork to just a couple of things so it won't be as big a challenge. The render though has been running 12 hours and will likely need to run another 24 hours before it converges enough in quality. 

One thing I learned yesterday was this DAZ Studio 'instancing' that makes a great scene like the Harpwood Trail possible also makes it very difficult to pose characters and place objects such that they when interacting with the instanced environment ae actually interacting in the correct (x, y, z) location that the feature of the environment you want to be interacted with is there and not somewhere else - if that run on sentence makes any sense. Hmmm, simply, in shaded textured viewport mode the trees and other instanced objects are not in the same (x, y, z) that they wind in getting rendered at in (x, y, z).

@nonesuch00  Good guess but wrong. The renders were the exact same so far as brightness. Changes in the scene will give the illusion of light and dark overall. 

I remember people having similar instancing issues with Fern Lake IIRC. They don't show in the viewport or something like that, then when rendered, it was an "uh oh" moment. 

OK, I entered my 'Found It!' postwork game challenge render only me postwork is not near as good or near as much postwork was done. I don't think they are super easy to spot though, well one of them is.

Good luck, it is the 6th post above!

Oh! If only the Boy Scouts uniforms had been available before I finished the render but that's OK, I think this render is good old-time comedy.

edited July 2018

I'm running out the door and will be gone a few hours, but one I spotted is the ferns not poking through the left side blue tent (on its right.)  

This is going to be difficult- nicely done!!

Post edited by Novica on

@nonesuch00   Also, please put the number of changes you made.

Novica said:

@nonesuch00   Also, please put the number of changes you made.

OK, I was going to give the number but I though that would give it away. There are only 4 changes. 2 of the changes involve multiple changes but for the same objects so they were more appropriately grouped as a single change each.