PyCarrara question

PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Very soon I want to start using PyCarrara. But I am not very good at this stuff. It will be a lot of studying. Not familiar at all with Python.

Am I correct that PyCarrara can move, rotate and scale any object?
Does this include the bone structure? With IK it should be doable?
I know, the source is a midi file. Does this mean I can use any track from a midi file. So drum + strings for instance?

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Not too many PyCarrara experts in the Forum unfortunately.

Have you tried the sample scenes and looking at how they are built?
    Looked at them a long time ago, as far as I remember the answer is yes to your questions, but looking and knowing is not the same thing...

You can also try to PM f1oat, he has been seen in the Forum.

• GrokDDGrokDD Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

Pjotter,

Share what ever you find out, I'm about 2 months away from delving into PyCarrara.

I'm tackling Away3D this month.

Good Luck!

• PjotterPjotter Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

3drendero said:

Have you tried the sample scenes and looking at how they are built?

Yes, that is a good idea. Meanwhile I have found his YouTube channel and there is a kind of walk. So somehow it is possible. Well, a lot of studying to do. Scripting is not my kind of thing.

For the ones who are also not familiar, his download page and the Youtube channel:

http://pycarrara.sourceforge.net/

http://www.youtube.com/user/f1oat3d/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_index=0

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Pjotter said:
    Very soon I want to start using PyCarrara. But I am not very good at this stuff. It will be a lot of studying. Not familiar at all with Python.

Am I correct that PyCarrara can move, rotate and scale any object?
    Does this include the bone structure? With IK it should be doable?
    I know, the source is a midi file. Does this mean I can use any track from a midi file. So drum + strings for instance?

PyCarrara allows you to change values of almost anything keyframed in Carrara (and only that). It's a lot and sometime not enough...

So, yes, you can move, rotate, scale objects including the bone structure.
    No, it doesn't work with IK (in the way, if you move the hand, the arm won't follow).

The source is not a midi file. Amongst the provided sample, there is a script that can use midi file to animate a tweener. I suppose that's where the confusion lays.
    If you familiar with programming, not being familiar with Python shouldn't be an issue.

What are you planning to do with PyCarrara ? I may help you if I know what you're looking for.

edited December 1969

Thanks for clearing that out. I thought midi was the source. But it is more an option.

So, yes, you can move, rotate, scale objects including the bone structure.
    No, it doesn’t work with IK (in the way, if you move the hand, the arm won’t follow).

It also doesn't work with an Target helper Object attached to the hand?

Not familiar met programming at all. Somehow this isn't my kind of thing. I am more visual. (I have to see what I am doing). But not giving up on this.

One thing I want to do one day, is create dance moves on the beat. If IK isn't working with PyCarrara, it will be much more complicated. And maybe one day playing a instrument using midi. I have seen the trumpet playing video done with PyCarrara, so somehow it is doable.

Very busy with other stuff right now, but I always plan ahead. If something isn't a solution, I start thinking of other options. With manual editing, NLA and Puppeteer, a lot is possible.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Pjotter said:

It also doesn't work with an Target helper Object attached to the hand?

Nice idea. It works. Moving the target helper with PyCarrara make the hand moving in relation to it with IK enabled.

One thing I want to do one day, is create dance moves on the beat. If IK isn't working with PyCarrara, it will be much more complicated. And maybe one day playing a instrument using midi. I have seen the trumpet playing video done with PyCarrara, so somehow it is doable.

So, you know it's technically possible now.
    If you have a good idea of the dance movements you want to achieve (I don't, dancing as a log :-) ), I'll be happy to help with the technical details.
  • atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Enough info here for me to go ahead and get into it. Thanks.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

I wish I could figure out how to use a midi file or better still a .wav file to drive events in Carrara
    the nearest I have come is using Casual's script to transform an object in Daz studio to a wav file and importing it into Carrara to drive various events using Fenrics erc plugin.
    audacity will output tabled frequency and amplitude values for a sonograph, if only one could use these value incrementally one could create awesome visuals with them driving shaders, (colour, intensity etc) transforms, vertex morph targets etc
    I know pjotter suggested Houdini for this but that is way beyond my budget
    (I do have apprentice I scratch my head over sometimes)
    but
    If one could do it in Carrara, how much nicer would that be!!

edited August 2013

Well Wendy, for WAV I might have something for you. I don't want to use WAV, because I think it is too limited. You can use the beat, but I think this is it.

It is still available, but maybe you do have to do some searching. It gets better. It is a DAZ thread in this forum. I don't see your name, so you probably have missed it. Maybe you can wake this thread up again. The first link goes to a page with more details, but also how to get it into Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8917/

Or is this what you mentioned?

Post edited by Pjotter on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,663
    edited December 1969

that is indeed the script by Casual I used.